1993 impreza

scoobiesforlife

its been a long time coming, i should have started one of these when i first got the car, but anywho. i have been the owner of a 1993 impreza since the beginning of the year. my outback lost its safe driving due to rust in the rear rocker and onto the rear sub frame.

my dad and i originally purchased this car from JoshP (hes on the forum) a couple years ago as a replacement so my dad could sell his truck that had lost a body mount and couldn't get stickered.

long story short i now own the car, there was a rattle somewhere in the drivetrain, diagonsis was a throwout bearing, so i had posted on here what to get for a clutch and stuff, meyagi said $200 and whatever clutch i wanted so i started doing my research and ended up purchasing an exedy clutch kit from rockauto.com, then about a month or so after that the noise just went away.

ive had tire problems in the past, i thought it was strut related so i bought a set from rezpunk, i have yet to put them on the car, i just dont have much time to myself these days. tire ended up being the plys started to break apart and start turning the tire in to an egg shape.

my plans for this are to keep it running as long as possible, give it what it needs and keep it going. long enough where im able to save up and get something a little better, ive been eyeing an 04 lgt wagon down the street for 6,500

impy.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My first Subaru was a 95 Impreza L 1.8 in this color...absolutely loved the car, so I beat the piss out of it. Still have a soft spot in my heart for these, even though it's 2013, and that makes this thing 20 years old!

its got the 1.8 5-speed in it, and i do regularly make sure it still hauls...198 thousand and still getting 35+ miles a gallon. the hardest thing i have right now is trying to find either another 13 inch rim or 165/80-13 tires...only townfair has them stocked regularly...but for how much longer is the question

the main problem im having is having the money to spend on rims and tires, i work an $11 an hour job and i spend about 90 a week in gas, pair that with bills and food and stuff...it doesn't really work, im hoping to have the 200 i need very soon to get a set of 14s on craigslist with almost new tires on it.

ah I miss that car!  It was garaged for like 10 years, its so clean underneath. Did I give u the 13 inch studded tires too?  Those things worked great.

yeah you did, they lasted that one winter season because my dad was a fool and got pissed at someone and did a clutch dump right in the center of gray...quite impressive though

Last edited by a moderator:
update: i am still working in south portland, but not for too much longer. I've got two more weeks before im done spending about 90 dollars a week in just gas, and with some free time i can look for auto jobs in the lewiston/auburn area, looking for basically oil change shops and what not, i dont have a lot of tools to work at a pepboys or a vip, so that limits me as well.

another update is back on july 12th, i proposed to my girlfriend and she said yes, so i've been thinking about trying to get a job closer to home so i can save more money and we can work on getting our own place, and start our own life togeather.

still working on trying to save up for some tires, or rims, trying to do too many things at once with not enough time or money...isn't that how it usually goes?

you can get a job at either place specifically as a tire and lube tech and have minimal tools. Work your way up to a tech if you choose. that's actually how i did it when i moved down south the westbrook.

ive kept that in mind, and ive applied at vip in lewiston. both stores actually, as an "installation tech" gonna stop into greased lightning one day.

Update:

a friend of my dads has a full set of tires on his 89 merc tracer that he said i can have. only problem is the bolt pattern, his is a 4x114.3 whereas ive got the standard scooby bolt pattern of 5x100...now the only way ill be able to get these tires is to jack the back end up, pull two off, go take them and have the tires switched around, and the same thing for the front...all this potential trouble for some 175/70-13 snow tires that are almost brand new...

the other thing is, i had my last work day on the 16th back in august, still looking for another place of employment.

I can make a donation toward your cause... I forgot all about those 6.5" speakers, they have rode all over creation with me for a while now. Swing in and grab them if you want. I dont get online often at all anymore, but i think you know where I live... driveway with the gold Nova SS out front near the fairgounds.... im usually home after 4:30 or so.   I think the price of free is reasonable.... I may know of a local job that would be worth looking into as well.

Also, just so you know, we have a junkyard here in Litchfield with some good Subaru parts, usually has rims laying around, so you could avoid the 2 trips to the garage hassle, He's cheaper than anyone Ive seen...

Update: I have been working at Town Fair Tire in Augusta since the tail end of september. got some of their mastercraft brand winter tires and they seem to be pretty beast for my little fwd car. i love the people i work with, which is always a good thing, and just recently everyones hours have been cut back so there goes my ability to save on goodies for my car. first things first, i have to replace the rear struts again, the right rear is knocking but not blown, not leaking fluid either, no abnormal wear patterns either, no feathering, cupping, nothing. 

after that would be the oil pan, it is getting pretty rusty and im still leaking oil after changing my valve cover gaskets. im hoping to be able to delay that til warmer weather hits. how hard is it to change an oil pan while the motor is in the car? i know the cradle might get in the way for some of the bolts.

right side cv axle is starting to knock and make noise when it is frigid cold outside. so hopefully that can hold off til warmer weather as well, although there is someone here on the forum, (cant remember his name) that has the front half shafts that hes going to let me know if hes going to need them or not, depends on how his "rally car" is doing.

my little imp has hot over 206k miles, still running great, patched an exhaust leak around the hanger on the resonator pipe, it is still holding, so i would recommend that exhaust patch to anyone who has a small pinhole in their exhaust and has no means of replacing the entire piece.

not sure what else to say, besides that my car still has one good speaker bumpin the tunes out on the way too and from work.

when i think of more or when i get more stuff done to my car, itll be posted.

Also, just so you know, we have a junkyard here in Litchfield with some good Subaru parts, usually has rims laying around, so you could avoid the 2 trips to the garage hassle, He's cheaper than anyone Ive seen...
ill have to find out where this junk yard is, is it right near b&k auto? i have always seen a bunch of wrecked cars there.

Oil pan can be done easy enough. I always take the motor mount nuts off and jack up the engine by the crank and use a swivel to get to the back bolts. It's easy.

the junkyard is down on the plains-pond rd... by the old burger king...my 2.2 has 265k and rising- rusted oil pan is great now.    1 can brakekleen   1 gal fg resin    4 foam brushes    1hr of time          id drive it to boston right now if there wasnt a 2 foot snowdrift on my front porch.....    by the way    those 6.5 speakers are still in my back seat   if you want them theyre yours

Update: Drove down to ray to Franks Garage, my car failed for one reason and one reason only...pin holes in the side of the oil pan...so needless to say i had to change that damn thing, 21 year old car, original oil pan...what could go wrong? luckily my parents live right down the street from the garage, so i stopped there, backed the car in the garage, set up ramps, got it up, went in the house, talked with my parents, and next thing you know my mother and i were headed to the dirty lew to get the oil pan and gasket. bright side is i finally did my oil change that im only maybe about 300-400 miles overdue.

few hours later i had the thing changed back down the garage and got a nice new shiny silver metallic inspection sticker.

the guy said to me "you know, when i saw this pull in this morning i said to myself, no way is this going to get an easy sticker" i told him "it was an easy sticker for you, you didnt change the oil pan." we laughed about it.

all in all it was a good experience, but as for next time, i really want an engine hoist, it would make doing one of those so much easier.

only a couple choice cuss words were used all day.

now, once all my taxes come in...i will be replacing more parts, rear struts and both front cv axels, maybe i should take the time and take pictures and do a proper write up on both of those, for the newer people on the forums and for the people who may search google on how to do something and get lead here. (i did when i was doing some sort of research for my 1998 outback)

until next update

~Emery~

Back