Cars I fotoed in Italia

Stein

Stein
Figured I'd post these up here, they're from my recent trip to Italy (got back this morning at 2).

Sadly, I only saw two Subarus that were not police. There were quite a few Soob-cops though (this legacy was the only one I saw while we were not on the road. It was parked at a rest stop).

The Ferarri and the Golf were both owned by one of our waiters at one of our hotels. He won quite a bit of money from a motorcycle accident lawsuit and used it on his cars. The Golf is a full rally car
default_smile.png
(you can see the 5-pt harnesses and the roof scoop, but the whole interior was redone). Every night we were at that hotel, we walked down the road to a gelato shop, and his shift ended at the same time, so he showed off his cars.

The turbo on the Golf was amaaaaaazing sounding.

edit: for some reason it's linking to the thumbnail versions instead of full size... I'm working on it...

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw one Maserati parked in front of a Hotel, a few Porshes (I'm not a fan of them), and the regular assortment of European sub-compact pieces of crap.

My favorite "common" cars I saw were the Fords and the Volkswagens
default_smile.png

The Alfa Romeos that use the same front end as the Spider (namely the Brera and the 159).

BTW, it was a school-type (not actually affiliated with the school in any way) trip organized by two of my teachers through a company called EF Tours. It was lot cheaper than going other ways, which was a deciding factor in my accepting the invitation to this trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it just be that it's on Impreza wheels?

Not sure what the size difference is on stock wheels between imprezas and legacies.

that gti is one of 5000 (i believe). factory widebody, AWD and a supercharger. its kind of like 22B is to us. made to bypass rally production rules, many want it, nobody here will have it.

the ef tours are great, i went with mine too amsterdam, brussels, london, and paris. saw an amazing subi in amsterdam while i was there, ill try and find a pic

that gti is one of 5000 (i believe). factory widebody, AWD and a supercharger. its kind of like 22B is to us. made to bypass rally production rules, many want it, nobody here will have it.
Yes, that does indeed appear to be a Rallye Golf. You can tell by the fender flairs, though the dual round headlights is not the factory Rallye grill, so either he modded to add the grill or it is a Rallye body kit on a regular GTi. 5000 were made for homogolation purposes.

Tim Oneil raced one for VOA back in early 90s and there are a couple in the US. In fact, I am aware of, and have sat in, an original VOA factory sport Rallye Golf with 23 original kms in a garage in New Hampshire in absolutely mint condition, save for a few stone chips from racing. Tim convinced a local car nut to purchase the car, with all spares, from VW when VW exited the US rally scene, and it sits in that state next to a Roadrunner and a couple of other very nice muscle cars.

Kinda funny because the owner said that most people never even notice the Rallye and instead are amazed by the muscle cars he has in his collection, whereas I immediately noticed the Rallye grill and my jaw hit the floor when he confirmed what I was looking at...and never paid much notice to the three or four immaculate muscle cars and Bodie Miller's porsche kit car sitting next to it:)

<<<<<former VAG dork

Back