DSC_8161.jpg

hrmm....

DSC_8160.jpg

DSC_8163.jpg

DSC_8170.jpg

DSC_8174.jpg

DSC_8189.jpg

DSC_8164.jpg

for comparisons sake, the 5spd center diff/tail housing (upside down), and the auto tail housing:

DSC_8190.jpg

that's all for now.

well, when that broken piece in the 3rd pic isn't broken, it transmits power from the torque converter (big rusty thing) and sends it into the tranny. hydraulic pressures and a shitload of valves determine the gear to be in based on load/speed/ecu, and that rpm is transmitted to the long shaft in the second pic which goes to the far end of the tranny. that shaft turns the large gear and hub at the top/rear of the tranny (6th pic), which turns the smaller gear at the bottom right rear (that sends power to the front wheels). the small electric actuator in the bottom left rear sends fluid pressure to the rear clutch pack (5th pic) locking it to that cog on the input shaft and sending power to drive shaft/rear wheels in the event that the two magnetic rpm sensors (side tranny in 8th pic) sense a differential in speeds between the input shaft and the drive shaft.

that good enough?

how about: "valves and magic", is that easier?

ahh i remember my auto trans calss at school, blahhh thoses things had sooo many parts in them.

put the balls back in the right spot or eles BOOM!! all i remember

how did it break? normal driving just age????

taking it apart for fun. i'm gonna toss it out the next time 'big trash pickup week' comes around in my town. i'll probably keep a bunch of the gears and bearings though, they can be useful for making things.

Back