Light bar project pics

-=Lobstah=-

here's a couple pics of my project (light bars seem to be popular these days). It's not up to scale yet, but it'll get there. The final material will be heavy f/g layering over PVC or Cardboard tubing frame, with metal mounting brackets attached. Thiking about adding a 1/2" wrapped conduit on the back side to pull the wires through. The first bar will probably get destroyed to figure out the strength of the construction.

PS: I tried to break 1/8" f/g laminate once, gave up on it after about 10 mins, it cracks, but doesn't break. That wasnt even reinforced.

So here we go. ... Comments/bashing welcome...

bar4.jpg

bar2.jpg

bar3.jpg

bar1.jpg

why not just get 1" tubing and weld it together? it'd take about 20 min once you get all the tubing cut. even a crappy weld would be stronger than glass.

i like the shape, where are the lights going?

I like the shape.

Is it going on top or infront of the bumper?

I like the f/g idea, but you'll have to really iron out the light location and place mounting tabs in key locations during fabrication, because it will be hard to do after fab.

I used to build large boats and f/g layed over paper towel tubes or even balsa wood results in a very strong light weight structure. Though, Casting or mold mock up is difficult to do for tube like peices.

Lobster, while you're at it, build me a splitter typ lip for my RS. ;D

in the front, the same way RI light bars go

In the structure i'm planning on cloth, heavy woven roving, cloth, mat (in places), that should be strong enough for it not to break and take quite a force off the impact (if such was to occur). I'm gonna use moldless method (just glass over frame), but it is possible to make molds of the bar for mass production, though it will be labor intensive.

What kind of boats did u used to build? I'm working at the boat shop too right now. Building lobster yachts
default_wink.png

Splitter type lip? huh?

I used to be at Sabre Yachts, twice. I really enjoyed it, but had to make more money and do something else. Now I'm thinking about going back when my body gives out from being flat rate mechanic.

Loooks good any chance I can get copies of the plans
default_wink.png
? I am slowly thinking about trying to make myself one of these.

publisher, Maine Boats & Harbors magazine. We're in almost EVERYBODY's boat biz!
default_redface.gif

come to Maine Boatbuilder's show in March, our booth is usu real near Ken's

Back