Mark's STi

Mark

welp, got my springs on and got that damned uppipe heat shield OFF. Couple notes from the procedures. STi struts are a PITA to get back on. you need to upgrade from a ferrari, to a carter putting weight on the rotor-ish area to fandangle that back on. subaru rods make perfect spacers for spring compressors. when the going gets tough, call a fireman. STi axles are much easier to pop out of the transmission that you might think; but thank god they're even easier to pop back in. ferrari + air hammer = lack of heatshield.

Here's a pic to commemorate the afternoon. thanks to ferrari, carter, and wrxnate for the help

noname.jpg

yah you guys would have been there forever if i hadnt gotten you back on track... haha

thought the same thing... think its a shadow. its a wheel leaning on another wheel.

The pic of this spring-install project raises several important safey issues for DIY suby wrenching. So here goes (apologies in advance if you guys DID do some of this stuff). We have a designated Safety Officer for our race team, he's a hawk about this sort of stuff for good reason.

1) it's WAY safer to jack a car one end at a time rather than one side at a time like shown. the car is much more stable for wrenching prying and/or supplemental type jacking with both fronts or both rears on the ground...the side jacking method leaves car pretty tippy. jack a suby with jack pad under trans support bracket up front, or under the rear diff--doing it under the side like shown tends to wrinkle a key body seam and/or fook up the side skirts (BTDT)

2) WHERE are the jackstands??!! mebbe they are under there, but sure don't appear to be! working under a car with 2 wheels in the air, supported by just 1 jack...def not OHSA approved or advisable for anybody else. At a rally service, a crew could well receive a time penalty for this because it is so clearly a safety issue. I have witnessed where a car came down onto a guy whose legs were under the car while prying on a suspension bit...let's just say he was really really lucky there were a bunch of people around to huck the car up off him once he started screaming.

3) no pad under the jack on a dirt surface. without some support under the jack (1/2" or 3/4" plywood pad) jacks like to settle into the dirt, lowering the car and potentially even letting it tip sideways as jack settles more on one side than the other.

We all love to work on our cars (well most anyway), but it needs to be SAFE, and the photo shows a classic Potential Big Problem scenario--a car jacked improperly with no backup support.

Please note: am not trying to single out any one person for this, it's just that the photo brings up a major point that ppl need to be aware of.

default_additional_spin.gif
i knew someone would bring it up. that was between us shuffling the jack/jackstands around to get better leverage on the rear strut. the pad under the jack was in fact not present, which was an issue, but it really didn't settle much

-----Added 4/27/2009 at 10:33:57-----

ps the "bulge" is just the tiny bit of tire from the wheel under it that you can see. i would be somewhere on the side of 95 if that was a bulge in it

yes, on-ramps especially. i need an alignment, though not horribly. it's not a HUGE difference maker day to day, i think the sway bars will eventually make a giant difference.

Yea do yourself a fovor and get a aliingment asap. I waited a little too long and now one of my re070's in toast and the rest are fine.

yes, on-ramps especially. i need an alignment, though not horribly. it's not a HUGE difference maker day to day, i think the sway bars will eventually make a giant difference.
The 27/29 front bar made more difference in my car than any other mod i've done. No joke. That thing is awesome!
default_smile.png

Yea you should deffinetly invest in some sways next. Hey keep your eyes open on ebay you never know hahaha

Jerk.

Here's an update as far as the rest of my car --

I'm getting a nice road tune in the middle of May from a guy I ran into on Nasioc. He's located in Worcester and does a lot of members cars. Depending on the results of this if anyone is interested I can share his info and get you in contact with him. He's a thorough guy who wants to make sure I have everything prepared for the session, including regular maintenence and other housecleaning things (injectors, air filter, MAF).

On a related note, I'm going to be ditching my Perrin EBCS in favor of a Forge MBC based on the advice of him. DSG has told Nate in the past they'd rather tune on a MBC as well. I've read on the advantages of both and if my tuner would rather me use an MBC then so be it. I'll stop by DSG shortly after so I can share with you all the results of the visit after a dyno run.

I'm going to take a break from adding mods for a few months and letting the car finally run for awhile. I may throw on a sway bar or two, but that's about it. After that it's a clutch and then the decision on a bigger turbo.

Here's a pic of the car on the new springs. it took a few days for the front end to settle

698fa5d4.jpg

-----Added 5/5/2009 at 08:17:47-----

also got in my NGK One Step Colder sparks today

-----Added 5/5/2009 at 08:20:12-----

also have an appointment for the road tune on 5/26

i thought it would be fun to go over how/why i came across the parts i now have, since a lot of it was spurt of the moment, or just random

I'll try to keep it chronological:

8000k HIDs - not kidding. first purchase. got back to work after picking up the car, and ordered these off ebay.

Invidia v3 Downpipe Heatwrapped - Purchased an older version from nasioc and the stupid o2 sensor bung was angled so that i couldn't get the sensor in. So I traded that to Ferrari along with other terms...

Perrin Twin Tip CB Exhaust - Purchased from Ferrari as part of the above trade/sale in a hurry when i realized i could get this faster than i could order the stupid 2.5" adapter

APS 65mm Intake - Was going to drop the 50 bucks or so on a K&N but nate realized he needed to go back up to a 70mm intake so i bought this one

Maddad 52mm Boost Gauge - After nate blew the engine for the first time, i bought this from him since he was going to get defi's

Crucial Racing v2 Springs - part of ferrari's fire sale. bought them at portland pie meet

Nokian Hakkapeliitta Studded - Customer works at Century tire. asked him randomly if anyone every dumps their tires because of advice of a salesmen even if they're fine. somehow that week a customer in a Benz, on the advice of the salesman, bought brand new snows and i got the takeoffs for 200 bucks mounted and balanced.

AEM Uego 52mm Wideband o2 - bought from nate after he bought ferrari's wideband. sensing a pattern?

Hella Supertones - bored one day, installed roughly 4 months later...

Walbro 255 - Had 50 bucks and figured i'd need one eventually anyway...

Spearco TMIC - I was depressed about my car accident and splurged after my tax return in a trade from stock off nasioc.

Perrin EL Headers - Bought from nate after he decided to go with gtspec headers. i had wanted them for awhile

Perrin Radiator Shroud - was at gabe's getting my fuel pump in and he found it laying around his garage. bought it on layaway

Forge UNOS Manual Boost Controller - Tuner told me it would be the best and easiest option for boost control. i had previously had a perrin EBCS

NGK Iridium One Step Colder Spark Plugs - Just another supporting mod to squeeze out the best tune for stage 2

Back