My Subaru story

Ryan99OBS

My love for Subaru's started when my cousin got his 2002 WRX. tuned to have STI power, Straight pipe Exhaust, Blow off valve, Everything that would make someone who knows nothing about subaru's fall in love. I knew I had to get one.

My cousins/my friend, Got His 2.5rs around the same time too. Loved the body style.

I wanted one so bad but at 16/17, jobless, It was hard to get my hands one a decent one.

This day was full of Subaru ripping, I decided it was gonna happen. (Dylan and Ethans car)

So I did what everyone does, Hopped on craigslist and started trading.

I crashed my 2000 mercury cougar and got what I could with the little cash I had.

a 1992 Eagle Talon. 800 cash.

I had that for the summer and decided it was no longer entertaining me.

I than traded for my 2nd jeep (1996 Cherokee sport)

She took my beating through the mud season and the winter. Gas was a killer though.

So I posted her on craigslist stating that I would only trade for a 5 Speed Outback Sport. 2 days later I got a email saying that this guy was gonna post his OBS for a jeep and found my post. I traded him the next day.

My Subaru, Finaly.

1999 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport.

5 speed

143,xxx miles

When I got it, It needed a few things.

The door was bent, Replaced it with a red legacy outback door (stupid junk yard)

needed a knock sensor and the alarm needed to be rewired.

So my friends had experienced the Subaru joys by coming with me on the days we went hammering with my cousins.

First Shawn bought his.2002 wrx wagon

Than kyle bought his legacy wagon

Justin (or Muffin as everyone knows him as) Bought his 99 2.5rs

We had our small family of subarus in the Rumford Area, Going out for group drifts and other honing

Rob got his hands on a fixer upper 2.5rs.

And than joe finally bought his 1st car. His 2000 2.5rs

So there we have it. From my cousin hooking me to me hooking all my friends. The Subaru family gets larger.

How she sits today, Love it without steelies =]

I love my little OBS but I do want to upgrade to a RS or a WRX in the future. Either way, Subaru forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome story Ryan! Glad you got your friends hooked too, seems to happen like that!

I just wwould like the body style. I wouldnt want the 2.5 in it. I dislike doing headgaskets haha.
The headgaskets aren't an issue after putting STi ones.

The issue is that they cannot take a horrid amount of abuse like the 2.2 can. You can be down right ignorant with those motors

The headgaskets aren't an issue after putting STi ones.

The issue is that they cannot take a horrid amount of abuse like the 2.2 can. You can be down right ignorant with those motors
The phase 2, 2.2 and the phase 2, 2.5 are almost identical. Except the 2.5 is still more prone to HG failure. But you're right if you use good gaskets AND they are done properly, they usually aren't a problem again!

The phase 2, 2.2 and the phase 2, 2.5 are almost identical. Except the 2.5 is still more prone to HG failure. But you're right if you use good gaskets AND they are done properly, they usually aren't a problem again!
Failed 2.5s I've seen at rally/woods hooning. 2.

Failed 2.2s I've seen at rally/woods hooning. 0.

But yes, please follow every post I make on this form and keep telling me I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Failed 2.5s I've seen at rally/woods hooning. 2.

Failed 2.2s I've seen at rally/woods hooning. 0.

But yes, please follow every post I make on this form and keep telling me I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Well then I guess you should look around more. I have seen many failed 2.2's lol. But I don't rally so what do I know?

The 2.2 has less stroke than the 2.5, it seems because of that they don't fail from abuse as often. How many blowed up 2.5s (any sort) do you see? How many blowed up 2.2s do you see.

The 2.2 has less stroke than the 2.5, it seems because of that they don't fail from abuse as often. How many blowed up 2.5s (any sort) do you see? How many blowed up 2.2s do you see.
Many more 2.5's that's for sure. But the large majority being the phase 1. Phase 2's are much stronger! And I have seen several phase 2, 2.2's with leaky head gaskets as well. They should have stuck with the bulletproof phase 1.

Yea, the phase2 2.2s are slightly more prone to HG failures than the phase1 engines. But they're still very robust in terms of not blowing bottom ends.

Lots and lots of sohc 2.5s blow bottom ends out, and for that matter the DOHC ones last a good while if they're not overheated. The whole combustion gasses in coolant thing is what kills those more than anything else. My family's 99 outback has almost 180k and doesn't even have piston slap, it's never been overheated. So there's what taking care of one will get you.

Yea, the phase2 2.2s are slightly more prone to HG failures than the phase1 engines. But they're still very robust in terms of not blowing bottom ends.

Lots and lots of sohc 2.5s blow bottom ends out, and for that matter the DOHC ones last a good while if they're not overheated. The whole combustion gasses in coolant thing is what kills those more than anything else. My family's 99 outback has almost 180k and doesn't even have piston slap, it's never been overheated. So there's what taking care of one will get you.
Definitely. The 2.2's are no doubt more durable, but the 2.5's can take a good beating as well. I think the one in my Forester is starting to get leaky.

But anyway. Sorry for the hi jack!

Back