NEFR Recomendations

topdeeni

since I live in the Area (Dixfield) and Rte 2 towards Bethel is one of my favorite STi rides I know the area pretty well..

People visiting, camping whatever.... I am pretty comfortable with the Rumford area stores, retaurants, ect, ect.....

My first HUGE piece of advice to anyone camping is DO NOT buy meat at Wal-Mart or the local hannafords... Drive three miles past Wal-Mart up Rte 2 to "Naples Supply". They have much better meat, about the same prices and they supply the local restaurants and food stores & yes they will cut to order on most pieces of beef. Look them up, they do much better than the other places... it is also more of a butcher shop enviroment so it is more fun. If U go there look for the written warning from a local cop to the owner... the reason for it was "Driving through my town"..

... Avoid

The MExico Chicken coop at ALL COSTS... it is fryalator hell but thier salad bar kixx *** if U like iceberg lettuce. Dicks retaurant across the street is pretty good, they have a mean homeade coleslaw and decent specials going on.

Also avoid like the plague the "far east" on Rte 2 in mexico right on the river. I have never ever had hawaiin wedding with a poop brown sauce and pineapple so dicolored it looked like palm heart. My 5 year old wouldnt even eat the food there and she eats bugs... I hear they mixx a stiff Mai Tai though...

Rumford center has "Mountain Variety"... they have good sammiches and specials goin on.

Also downtown Rumford has Brians Bistro is nicer cafe' style enviroment with good food... their chocotini's are a good bet as well. King wok is an option for CHinese... not the prettiest looking place but they do get the job done... they also run decent specials to sit down customers to keep them there...

please keep in mind I AM a transplant from Boston. I am still getting used to what the maine folk around here refer to as "food"... Don;t know what it is but the people around here have special olympic taste buds... 9 out of 10 times IMHO the best food around here comes off my Weber.

ps: While in the area check out Bethels BEst ICe cream on Rte 2... Kewl place and I bnet it would B good for a get together...

Last edited by a moderator:
I hear you man, back in N.Y. I use to go to a wicked good German deli - no such thing up here
default_additional_ponder.gif

I hear you man, back in N.Y. I use to go to a wicked good German deli - no such thing up here
default_frown.gif
I used to have acces to places like Chow Chow city, Hilltop Steak house, a variety of great japanese steak houses, real friggin pizza...

damm... I could get a full blown 4 course Italian meal delivered to my door complete witha bottle of Vino... and WTF is it with how people up here define "italian subs" and what go's on them. Also a hamburger with slices of american microwaved onto it does not a steak and cheese make...

oh yeah.. if U use the Dunkin Donuts in Rumford center CHECK UR order prior to leaving. They dread seeing my black 4runner at the drivethru 'cause they know we catch them screwin' up everytime...

where in NY? I used to Love Reins NY style Deli on Rte 84 in CT on my way to private school in southern CT. U have NO idea what I would do to see a nice plump old jewish fellow with a white apron on teasing me with a kosher rueben and I am not even of that faith....

HAHAHAHA... said with best mock accent....

"Lon Gisland... ?"

so U know exactly what I am referring to with said sammich (drools)

Here's a tip: Insulting a Mainer's dining selections doesn't do a whole lot for trust development.

Born and raised in Lewiston, spent 24 years of my life there. Let me tell you, MA isn't all that great, thank you very much. Sure, Boston blows anything out of the water food-wise... but that's not an apple-to-apple comparo. I haven't seen or eaten anything of great interest in the Merrimack Valley (North shore) since I moved here 5 years ago... And I work in the food service industry (marketing).

The best food I've eaten so far has been home-cooked, done right on a grill. Nothing beats a bed of hot charcoals and sizzling red meat, combined with a good rub-o-choice. Throw on a couple bakers & cobs and you've got yourself the perfect meal.

Oh, and if you want to know why the cuisine in Maine is so different? It's because Boston and the greater surrounding area is Italian, Irish and Jewish. That's why the killer food exists. Maine never got that. We've always been a comfort food type of state, known for long winters and farming. Call us simple-folk if you want... our food reflects it.

Here's a tip: Insulting a Mainer's dining selections doesn't do a whole lot for trust development.
I was actually referring to this little twilight zonish area! I never realized "around here" could constitute places more than an hour off... Solving it is as easy as Farmington, Jay, Bethel and the Lewiston Auburn where it all changes..

It's kewl... enjoy the Chicken Coop... try the fried chicken

Born and raised in Lewiston, spent 24 years of my life there. Let me tell you, MA isn't all that great, thank you very much. Sure, Boston blows anything out of the water food-wise... but that's not an apple-to-apple comparo. I haven't seen or eaten anything of great interest in the Merrimack Valley (North shore) since I moved here 5 years ago... And I work in the food service industry (marketing).

The best food I've eaten so far has been home-cooked, done right on a grill. Nothing beats a bed of hot charcoals and sizzling red meat, combined with a good rub-o-choice. Throw on a couple bakers & cobs and you've got yourself the perfect meal.

Oh, and if you want to know why the cuisine in Maine is so different? It's because Boston and the greater surrounding area is Italian, Irish and Jewish. That's why the killer food exists. Maine never got that. We've always been a comfort food type of state, known for long winters and farming. Call us simple-folk if you want... our food reflects it.
default_frown.gif
+1. Be honest now. It's semi-rural/rural Maine you're talking about. That should say enough.

OT: "the Lewiston Auburn..." as in "The Iraq"?

the-iraq-2.jpg

Craig - I'm only trashing on you because I can. Yes, the food choices in your area suck compared to what I am sure you are used to. WTF did you move there for?

OT: "the Lewiston Auburn..." as in "The Iraq"?
the-iraq-2.jpg

Craig - I'm only trashing on you because I can. Yes, the food choices in your area suck compared to what I am sure you are used to. WTF did you move there for?
U know... sometimes I hate written words... they are so easily translated into something they are not meant to B...

sooo Y U gotta torture me.....hahahaha... Ur the one who moved to Haverhill not me...
default_frown.gif

Lets get this right... the food choices around suk in comparison to most homeless shelters worldwide...

Y did I move here...I did not want my step kids to deal with public inner city schools like I did for so many years. My time there gave me "gifts" that will NEVER go away.

& yes U can trash me anytime U like...I can take it as well as dish it unless it from the Chicken coop then I am out

Back to food... the BBQ place in Bethal (in a camper) is hands down one of the best you will find in the state!

god I hate to admit this but I have yet to eat there... The wife brought the kids there one day and hated it..HAHAHA here I go again passing judgement... oh damm.

I can tell ya every time we pass it I see people there eating and now U chime in as a supporter......maybe just maybe I am going to have to make her try it again and see how she likes it. Who knows maybe she was having a bad hair day or soemthing....

I'm smellin' a BBQ soon...

how about a roadtrip to fireflys BBQ in MArlboro MA or Redbones in Somerville...

i will most likely be eating there tomorrow (no money today) and rezdog is probably going to be frequenting there everyday :-P

While there may not be too many "good" places to eat up there, there are a bunch in the Lewiston/Auburn area.

U know what was pretty damm good...

The brewery at the end of the Acces road to Sunday River. The sweet potato fried were handcut, the chikken parm was real chicken, the smoked turkey soups definately homemade....

We had been told by people whose taste has obvioulsy been devastated by such places as the chikken coupe and other wonderful locations just how bad the food at the Brewery was...

I still need to try that BBQ place up the street; I know the wife hates it but peeps here like it. Also the VIP bus fed us sammiches and such from the health food place next to the BBQ place... really good schnizzles there too if UR into that stuff.

I also got some great reviews on their brews although I did not try any... I had the sewbie in ther parking lot: Though shall not drink and fly.

The Sunday River Brewing Company is a great place to head to after events like this. Mirra was sitting at the a table near us with his whole team. Kinda cool.

I had the "Jaccuzzi" Ribs... boring, dry and did NOT sit well overnight. However, the sweet potato fries were 100%, as was the cornbread. Everyone else at the table (ODB Racing, comprised of Kathy, Al, Joe and Tim - along with my friends Joe and Brad) had wonderful food and really enjoyed the brews. I think Joe pounded down 5 or 6 Red Ales before we headed out. $3.00 for a 20oz isn't shabby at all, and he seemed to enjoy the taste.

The rest of the weekend was our own food, grilled to awesomeness.

HAHAHA...nice....

We ran into a variety of people in there and frequensted it more than once over the weekend..

Oh crap yeah dude... those cornbread muffins were good and for ribs that sat in a "jacuzzi" that long they were certainly as U stated...

Did U notice the sauce they gave U to dip them in was NOT the same as what they were cooked in?

Next time I go up there I will B driving.... Im surpised none of U tagged pixx of me walking around with my pockets jammed with the free beer they gave us... I'm a great designated drunk....I was representin' the name "fish pond" to the maxx.

Free beer? Where? VIP bus?

Oh, and the sauce they gave with the ribs was nasty. Just stay away from the Rib plate - everything else seemed top notch.

Back