Plum Island Wildlife Park

Redline

If anyone's ever been, you'll know the place I took photos. If not, go! Today's weather totally sucked for the pictures, but I made the best of it. Here are the better ones I took today. Enjoy!

JennSam_PIcopy.jpg

IMG_5129.jpg

IMG_5106.jpg

Ha ha... dammit.

I needed to bring a longer lens, as there was quite a bit of fowl and other wildlife - but I borrowed the wrong one from work. LOL.

There were also some Shell-Fish diggers that I wanted to snap, but the weather and the tike were making it hard to be out for long periods. There's a ton of marshland, so it's really photographers paradise on a sunny day during the wet seasons. Lots of nature and greenery in the summer, too.

i like the second staircase draws your eye through the frame. i like the yellow accents too.

did you blur the background on the first pic in photoshop? the edges between foreground and background look fuzzy. and if you didnt already, you may want to consider adding some more contrast afterwards as well, a straight desaturation usually yields bland black and whites.

I blurred the BG on the first pic because my lens ended up getting snow on it due to wind coming at us. Is there a good way to smooth the edges, or is it a pain-staking process?

I'll take your advice on the contrast and print off a few of these tomorrow at work. Free prints FTMFW! ;D

not really. doing it with the lens is the easiest, or if its just a few snowflakes use the healing brush to blot them out.

i would suggest (from most easy to least):

using aperture of ~f3 or lower

walking farther back and zooming in (~75-100mm lenses work best for portraits anyway)

using the magnetic lasso to cut out the whole background, the repaste it and blur that (should take care of the fuzzy looking edge on your daughters blanket)

or if you know you're only going to use the picture online, scale it down to 800x542 or whatever and p-shop it then. that way you'll have less pixels to go around.

wild life alright

You're in big trouble as both of them girls get older. The older one will evetually have you all figured out and slowly convert you into what she wants...you will be picking up your socks. The younger one will evenually have you all figured out and slowly get what ever she wants. Good luck, may the force be with you.

Just a warning.
default_wink.png

Nice pictures. 8)

Back