What I did today

4WRXter

Skier!
Last week, when I put the winter tires on the 4WRXter, I noticed the rear rotors were rusty with very slight wear marks where the pads were(n't) contacting. And the fronts were pretty well worn into the rotors. So I kinda start to "panic" thinking its into Nov., I can't really afford to have someone do this now, it might be too darn cold to do it in the driveway.

I get on the PM line with the unofficial parts guy. He steers me in the right direction for a fairly reasonable rotor/pad package and offers to help me do the install.

Well the parts show up today before noon, and the weather is holding, so I figure...what the heck, I'm fairly intelligent, somewhat mechanical, I should be able to handle a brake job.

This is the old passenger rear rotor.

100_0545.jpg

New passenger rear reassembled

100_0544.jpg

Rear pads

100_0546.jpg

And front rotor and pads

100_0548.jpg

All went pretty well except for the front caliper bracket bolts. Those were a beetch. Tried to get them with a socket and breaker bar for leverage. A couple tries and I was rounding the bolt head. I ended up using a box end wrench and a 3lb hammer to loosen the bastahds. RE-AFFIRMING WHY A BOX END WRENCH IS ALWAYS BETTER THAN ANY DANG SOCKET.

I do however have to disassemble the passenger side rear again to look for something rubbing. When I went to break-in the brakes I heard something, only when I turn left. Honestly
default_frown.gif

Oh, and Gabe....THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

Nice. Your car always treats you better when the owner does the work themselves
default_frown.gif
. Putting on new rotors and pads is a breeeze.... as long as the rear rotors cooperate!

Those are great pads too.

Back