What to do with the OBS

SurlyOBS

Hello, I've been lurking for years but have never been to any meet-ups yet. This is basically a feeler for what I should do with my 97 OBS. The car is all dented up from the previous owner, but checked out fine mechanically when we got it. It's also beginning to get the subie rust in the rear arches. The known issues include:

CEL and hesitation issue

Unreliable fuel gauge when under 1/2 tank

No reverse lights? (hatch wiring was fixed locally 2 years ago...)

lots of dents and dings, some rust starting

needs a sticker, so have to fix some of those issues to get one...

171K miles, 5spd

fairly recent clutch, starter and flywheel

brakes were done 10K miles ago.

I love this car, my 1st Subie after owning many V-Dubs. The problem is that I'm not sure it's worth putting a lot of money into fixing it due to the rough condition of the body. If the body was better, I'd just swap the motor when it gave up and keep going. I know it's the perfect rally beater, but it's my daily driver.

What's it worth ($), what are people's opinions for what to do? Be honest! I can take it.

P1000764.jpg

Its going to be hard for anyone to tell you if its really worth it for you to keep that car or not. No one knows your financial situation, or budget. I think the real question can be thrown back to you first. What are you truely trying to get out of this car? Is it just a reliable vehicle? Is it something you wish you could have more out of it?

I would say if your looking to keep driving something with no payment, with the reliablilty of AWD. Then dont worry about the dings and dents. Just put the bare minimum into it you have to, and drive the snot out of it. Toss a little bit of money (backyard body man) into fixing some rust. Get it to someone to figure out what the CEL is and fix the fuel guage. Then enjoy it for what it is.

Now on the other hand if your looking for something more, faster, lower, louder. Then maybe its time to move on? If that's something you can do. I dont know what its worth, but im sure its worth something to someone. (vague i know)

I think for a small investment this car will give you some more years.

Hey Mike,

Chris here. I don't know what you're time frame is, but my calender load lightens up a lot the closer we get to December. After Nov. 15 my summer hobby season is over. I can help you fix stuff since you're so close. Don't forget, Mainely Subaru members get a parts discount at Evergreen Subaru.

I'd love to have your car but the old lady would rather I shoot myself in the spleen before I got another car.

Welcome to the club, definitely check out a meet if you can, they're good fun. Good food, good people, lots of cars to be jealous of.

Its going to be hard for anyone to tell you if its really worth it for you to keep that car or not. No one knows your financial situation, or budget. I think the real question can be thrown back to you first. What are you truely trying to get out of this car? Is it just a reliable vehicle? Is it something you wish you could have more out of it?
I would say if your looking to keep driving something with no payment, with the reliablilty of AWD. Then dont worry about the dings and dents. Just put the bare minimum into it you have to, and drive the snot out of it. Toss a little bit of money (backyard body man) into fixing some rust. Get it to someone to figure out what the CEL is and fix the fuel guage. Then enjoy it for what it is.

Now on the other hand if your looking for something more, faster, lower, louder. Then maybe its time to move on? If that's something you can do. I dont know what its worth, but im sure its worth something to someone. (vague i know)

I think for a small investment this car will give you some more years.
I sat here with the window open trying to think of a good response, and Nate couldn't have said it better, we don't know enough about your situation... Because we're not you.

To take it another step, what do you want to further, what are your automotive goals. Do you want your car to be a transportation appliance? A corner carver that sticks to the onramps? A straight line drag car? Dirt destroyer? Clean car that is stock? Sleeper? Super pimp show car with all the JDM fixin's? A combination? I can't answer these questions for you, and I don't think anyone here can.

I'm in a similar situation, high mileage, dings, dents, rust, yet solid. No idea what I'll do when I graduate school.
default_smile.png

I do know that I am more focused on developing as a driver then modding my car for looks or high dollar performance, but you'll find that in this community someone knows a little bit about everything and you can achieve what ever your goal is (as long as you don't run out of money).

All very good points guys. I'm thinking that at this point with the body looking as rough as it is I should leave it alone except for the rust. Nate, I agree, throw a little money into fixing it and then I can have fun driving the heck out of it. Romping in the snow and on dirt is fun, and is suited to the condition of the car. Besides, my budget is super cheap with two young kids at home...

I'll probably upgrade the suspension performance after the car is working better, but not really work on upgrading the engine. More important to be a skilled driver then a sloppy, fast one.

The funniest thing is that my kids like to ride in the "Green Monster" way more then "mommy's car" (2006 OBS) My car is loud and rumbles more and they like that Subaru sound! Maybe I should do an exhaust mod...

Inski: I may have to have you look this beast over and tell me what it needs. I'm a professional bicycle mechanic, but I don't have much experience with cars. Thanks for the offer to help.

you're in a tough situation here

kbb 'fair' private sale value for 97 OBS w/171k is $2395, with "good" only going up to $2895 and "excellent" just $3295. sounds ok, except sinking $900 into the car will NO WAY take it up to "excellent" condition

given the bodywork issues, dents n dings, actual value may well be somewhat less than above.

so...if you want a fun driver, just get it inspectable and continue to beat the crap out if it, I mean enjoy the fun in snow and mud.

if you want a reliable daily driver, get it stickered and move it along for whatever you can get for it...with winter coming, elderly but usable AWD subies are worth the most they'll ever be

Back