Why I hate snowbanks and crappy welds... not 56k friendly

Mighty Subie

ok so there has been a stainless Turbo XS exhaust on my car since before I bought it and I've had it for over 3 years now. I was leaving work a couple weeks ago and I noticed that my car was a little louder than usual. I figured that since I had to drive over the snowbank where I work that I moved my exhaust enough to break the large 'doughnut' gasket in the middle of my exhaust. When I get home I backed my car up onto my ramps and took a little peek. turns out that the front weld on my muffler that holds the end onto the body of the muffler had completely separated. So I had to buy some stainless welding rod, drive up to my parent's where my old man has a couple welders and fix it. Here's a couple pics of it.

100_0497.jpg

100_0498.jpg

100_0499.jpg

100_0504.jpg

Even the other end showed where the damn machine that welded it together wasn't out far enough and didn't get any penetration on the other end...

100_0505a.jpg

100_0506.jpg

some of my new welds which are A LOT stronger and will not pop apart like the original ones. I did have issues with the flux pieces falling off in front of my puddle and creating voids of slag with no weld... That didn't exactly help or make me too happy

100_0508.jpg

100_0509.jpg

and me making my new gasket because foolish me didn't have a new one and it was new years day while was doing this so I couldn't just go buy one!

100_0510-1.jpg

When you posted you said it was a TurboXS exhaust, but that's a magnaflow? Bummin' situation anyways...

Dunno what your exhaust setup is like, but I have a Catback sitting on my shelf if you need a loaner.. (loud cop magnet type, yayyy)

When you posted you said it was a TurboXS exhaust, but that's a magnaflow? Bummin' situation anyways...

Dunno what your exhaust setup is like, but I have a Catback sitting on my shelf if you need a loaner.. (loud cop magnet type, yayyy)
Turbo XS exhaust with a magnaflow muffler, if I am not mistaken. I believe they have different options for mufflers....

Turbo XS exhaust with a magnaflow muffler, if I am not mistaken. I believe they have different options for mufflers....

Exactly. It is a magnaflow, but still one of the options from turbo XS. It sounds great now all welded back up. Funny thing is that it sounded REALLY good busted apart. It was just a little louder. Annoyingly loud on the interstate for long periods... for my taste anyway!

Back