00 RS having fuel issues ?!?

spartan5

Sooo.....on the ride to work yesterday the RS kinda bucked on me on the highway,and basically choked itself out,wants to turn over,but acts like it's starving for fuel. I've checked for spark( check) and air ( check),but I think it's a fuel issue. I'm going to change out the fuel filter tomorrow,and after that,I don't know....any ideas? Thanks in advance,all responses are greatly appreciated.

IBratmanI

Subaru Ambassador- AdidaSubarus
I have seen it before when they are really bad. Actually my moms 98 OBS did it. But it could definitely be something else. Is it throwing any codes?

EvilAsPie

Our 00 RS will not start(at first) after putting fuel in it. We have to pump the peddle for about 30sec to get it to start, then keep it form stalling for a few minutes. Then it's fine. Still not sure what it is...

Anyway.

If it's fuel check that the pump is running. Pulling the rear seat, you should be able to hear it. Also can pull the feed line off the fuel filter, and try to start it and see if you have fuel. Maybe investigate fuel tank via holes behind rear seat.

GL

Matt

your fuel pump can still work but if its not delivering the proper fuel pressure it wont run either...does it try to even start or just crank with no attepmt to fire?? find a code scanner and see if you have any stored or pending codes.

spartan5

it wants to start,almost turns over if you put the throttle to the floor...acts like its either starving or flooded.

Matt

When you go wide open throttle it actually shuts down the injectors. Verify the fuel pump works, fuel pressure and see if it's got codes. Assuming it's getting fuel make sure you don't flood it and wash down the cylinders.

inski

Whats the fuel pressure? The pressure test could save you lots of money in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:

inski

Poor man's way:

Pull the fuel line off the fuel filter (output side) then have your helper turn on the key. Fuel should squirt out strongly for a second or two.

Do it 2-3 times to make sure the pump kicks in every time you turn the key on. If nothing dramatic happens like fuel gushing out you MIGHT have a clogged filter (unlikely)- then try it on the other side (input side) of the filter. If nothing happens then you're not getting fuel from the pump.

Right way:

Get a fuel pressure gauge from Napa, hook it inline at the filter output hose. Turn on key. You should have 30something psi just by turning on the key, engine off. It should hold over 20psi for hours. If it drops radically quickly (all pressure gone in 30seconds) you either have a leak at the gauge or your pump can't hold pressure.

Engine running you should have a steady 30something psi.

The main thing you need to look for is the initial pressure the car needs for starting. Every time you turn the key on the pump kicks on for 2 seconds or so to give you pressure to start the car...every time even if you're only waiting 10 seconds in between key cycles. It will even start at low 20psi. that's why people say listen for the pump. You can hear it kick on in the back seats, or if you're under it.

If you have no pressure anywhere make sure your fuses and relays are all good. Then make sure you have 12v at the pump with a test light or multimeter. The pump is in the tank. While you're there plug in the electrical connectors and pull off the fuel line and see if you have pressure there. Turn the key on, anything?

You need a couple things to make it all work. (1)Electricity to turn on the pump,(2) fuel to make pressure (you'd be surprised the amount of times people change pumps in an empty gas tank and wonder why they still have a problem). (3) a pump that goes round and round and makes noise and squishes the fuel up towards the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

inski

anytime! Its in my best interest to help everyone keeping their RSs in tip top condition. I might want to buy it later on in life when I have spendin change.
default_smile.png

spartan5

OR if you happen to have a clean 97-00 Leggy Outback wagon you could trade for it straight up,this is my wife's car,and I am beginning to think that it might be more of a beast than she can handle on a day to day basis.

inski

sorry no legacy obk. I do have two 97 Impreza OBSs. One auto needs nothing, one manual and needs work. Generally the 98-99 DOHC Legacys need head gaskets at some point in their lives. Try to find one that's already had it done.

spartan5

Yup,I had a beautiful 97 limited,loved that car,wish to this day I had never been talked into selling it. I figured that would be the first thing I asked if I found one I was interested in. OR I should say,she's interested in,as this will be hers alone,that's why I think it really needs to be an auto,as my rs hated it when she drove it.....clutch killer

Matt

any chance you got a chance to check for codes??? Very nice explanation inski, couldn't of said it better myself......ive been changing out a lot of chevy pickup fuel pumps as of late....the internal wiring on the sending unit has been burning up......make sure you've got ground to....

Latest posts

Back