Uppipe Questions

05Rex

Ok, so I have been doing a lot of research on uppipes lately. I am a nut about researching things before I buy them, especially something that is going on my car. I have literally spent weeks trolling forums, reading reviews and comparing different pipes. This is what I have found so far:

1. I have an 05 so my uppipe is catted and NEEDS to be gutted or replaced ASAP!

2. Gutted is the cheapest option but not necessarily the best option due to the fact that the flow isn't as good as the after market UP's not to mention the PITA it is to properly gut and clean all the wonderful asbestos debris.

3. The 2 main differences in most uppipes are flex and non-flex and from what I have read flex has a slightly better fit but look out for cheap flex UP's as the mesh is cheap and will eventually leak or even come apart and end up in your turbo and you DO NOT want to replace one of these more then once!

4. Most come with bungs, which I don't need due to the fact that you no longer need the sensor after the Cat is removed and I have a Cobb AP to remove the CEL that it triggers. I have also read that it is better to get one without due to smoother airflow, can someone confirm or deny whether bung or no bung should be a factor in my decision?

5. The brand: Perrin, Grimmspeed, Cobb vs Godspeed, DC, Megan racing. In your opinion, am I getting more then just the name for my extra hard earned cash? I know better then to buy a cheap no name eBay knock off but should I spend the extra on one of these high end UP's or am I just wasting my money on a name and a pretty sticker that probably comes with it? In the same breath, any suggestions or experience with particular brands, good or bad, would be helpful.

6. Heat management: Is it that important? I understand the concept of the hotter the air the faster the turbo will spool, but will I really notice the difference? Is it worth the extra to get it coated in ceramic and or heat wrapped?

7. Lastly, I was quoted about 2 hours for install...roughly between $150-$200 for labor. I love to do things myself because I love to learn but everything I have read is this is real PITA of a job and if not done right will most definitely leak! I wouldn't mind getting my hands dirty or even a few bloody knuckles if I had someone with the right tools and knowledge along side me whom I would gladly pay a reasonable amount in beer, food or cash or even a combination. The way I see it is it would be a great chance to get to know different people who share in similar interest and finally get to talk cars and stuff with someone who's eyes don't glaze over at the mention of HP or TQ...lol.

I know this is long winded, but the way I see it, the more info I provide the better the answers I will receive. Knowledge is Power and Power is fun, especially when it is in a Turbo charged Boxer engine! Hmm...I like the sound of that, I think I may have to put that as my quote.

Thanks in advance!

TheNailman

Warcock
great questions, and thanks for taking the time.

brand is important. you do, in fact get what you pay for. myself, i bought a perrin, the fitment was correct, and it has held up well in the 3 years since installing it. as for flex sections, i have heard they tend to whistle after a time, however i have no experience with this.

as for the install. try calling m+a auto. they are one of our vendors here, and have great labor rates.

im sure this thread will generate some good info from the other members

EvilAsPie

Depending out how far you are taking your WRX an STi UP might be perfect for you. It is cat-less, slightly larger diameter then the wrx one and fits perfectly. I put one in my car, which only has intake and full exhaust for power mods.

Had to remove the heat shields for the collector to get the old UP off. I also removed the heat shields for the UP because i've had the top heat shield section brake away from the spot welds and rattle. Both UP and collector are wrapped and painted. I have no spooling issues (besides it being a 2.0L ;-) ) But from what i have read retaining heat before the turbo is key.

Apollyon12

I gutted mine, and if I could do it again, I would probably take the time to find an STI one instead. That way there are no questions about quality of welds, fitment, ect. Not that the good name brands are bad by any strech of the imagination.

That install is a definite PITA. I didn't jack up the motor, instead I removed the turbo to pull the UP out from the top. Time consuming but it worked, and when I had to swap out my turbo, I already knew how to get it out.

EvilAsPie

yeah, i pulled my turbo as well. I was also doing the DP at the same time. Turbo remove it not hard. Heat shields are the devil!!

05Rex

My plans are to go to Stage 2 then focus on suspension upgrades. I currently have a Green panel filter, after market turbo inlet hose, Cat back exhaust and Cobb AP. I looked into a STI Uppipe but have not had any luck finding one used. I would like to get out of it as cheap as possible so I can put the extra money I save into other things. From everything I have read, a side by side Dyno between a stock STI up and an after market pipe show little to no difference but that is just from trolling forums.

If I were to find a used STI UP, I take it, by reading this post, it is strongly recommended to remove the heat shield, ceramic coat and heat wrap it? I know I can find heat wrap at any auto parts store but is there a do it yourself ceramic coating?

I don't know if I feel comfortable doing this alone, I think this is bit beyond my level not to mention my limited tools. I have read a lot of threads were people that have done this themselves wished they had and strongly recommended paying some to do it, is this the case in any of your experiences? I just don't want to get in over my head and end up without a vehicle for an extended period of time. I am just wondering if $140-$200 is worth not dealing with this headache myself. I mean a 2 hour job for an experienced mechanic with a lift and all the tools he/she could possibly need could easily turn into a weekend or more for a do-it-yourselfer like myself.

EvilAsPie

If you go with an STi UP there is really no reason to bother with the heat shields/ceramic coat+heat wrap as long as the welds for the heat shields look good. Keep an eye on rs25 and nasioc clasifieds they're up every now and then.

I consider myself a pretty experienced DIYer plus my father in law is a mechanic if i get into trouble. Not sure how long this took me as i was doing a bunch of stuff at the same time. But have seen UPs swapped at garage days with standard tools. I haven't checked but i bet there is a subimods page or other how to out there that will better let you know what you'll need and what to expect.

05Rex

Well I decided to splurge and went with the Grimmspeed Up ceramic coated and Grimmspeed gaskets with the 2x thick at the manifold. I am going to have it installed at the same time I have work done on my tranny. I think, from what I have read as well as what the mechanic said from the test drive, I have a bad roller bearing in the front differential. The mechanic said he thinks it is either that or a Front differential shaft, hopefully it is just the bearing...fingers crossed.

05Rex

Scratch that, looks like Grimmspeed uppipes are on a 2+ month backorder per Rallysports direct, that seems a bit ridiculous to me.

Nate

Founding Father
Why not try PMing one of our vendors. I can 100% guarantee they have something that will work for you IN STOCK, and shipping from CT will be a breeze.

TheNailman

Warcock
and if not, pm importimage on nasioc. he has grimmspeed product instock, and it is cheaper through him, than it is from grimmspeed direct.

05Rex

That is a Hell of an idea, I never think of PM'n the venders on here, force of habit to do an internet search I guess but as long as there competitive, it would be good to support the local, or somewhat local, businesses. I will have to give em a shout tomorrow to see what they can do and if not I will look into importimage, if I can figure out what my user name and password is for Nasioc...lol.

On another subject, if I end up going with a Perrin or something else, what do I do about the thermal insulation? Can I get it ceramic coated somewhere, do I just heat wrap it or just say Hell with it and put it on as is? Nailman, you said you got a Perrin right? What did you do as far as the heat issue goes?

TheNailman

Warcock
bypass nasioc for importimage, and hit Josh (the owner) directly at Importimageracing.com. he will hook you up.

i have run my perrin for 3 years now, with no issues. if i were to run it again, i would wrap it this time. it does get some hot

on a side note, it will be going up for sale in a month or so.

Imprezah

beside spool... another advantage of heat retention in the uppipe is to prevent heatsoaking yout intercooler.

I will be using an sti uppipe on my FXT, but if I wasn't so cheap I would buy the grimmspeed on adn pay the extra $20 for ceramic coating.... I have heard stories about heat wrap trapping moisture and speeding up rust.

05Rex

Ok, so I am going with a Grimmspeed pipe ceramic coated. Everywhere I have looked, including the vendors here, said there is a backorder of about a month. I have waited this long, I guess I can wait another month.

I am back to debating on whether or not to attempt the install myself. The biggest reason for reevaluating this is I now have access to a garage with a lift, I would assume this will make the install a lot easier, can anyone confirm this? Is the install still a major PITA with the car on a lift?

Latest posts

Back