Vehicle registration

dflwrx

Hey guys,

As some of you know, my wife and I just recently moved here from MI. In MI we don't have an annual vehicle excise tax, or annual inspections of our vehicles. I was planning to register the car here for convenience, but given the fact that my car is quite heavily modified and the annual fees are no trivial expense it seems like it might be a good idea to keep the car registered and insured in MI. I have a permanent mailing address there and will probably be buying a new dd in the next year so this is likely going to be only a temporary solution and I'll register that vehicle here when I get it. My wife's wrx is essentially stock so I think she'll just register that here.

Does anyone have any thoughts/experience/constructive criticism on the situation? I'd love to get some input from people that have been here longer than me!

Nate

Founding Father
Don't get caught. There is new law in place (yah this state can suck!) that you MUST register all of your vehicles here if you live here. Only exception be kids in school or like situations. Once you live here (primary residence) you must pay the taxes and such here.

09FXT

http://www.mainelysubarus.com/forums/showthread.php?5809-Maine-Excise-Tax-Calculation

Welcome to Maine
default_smile.png

diabloadsit

You will have no problems with getting the car inspected as long as you aren't popping a CEL. Plus you have cats in place.

I was able to pas without the cats but my car is very heavy modded too and I have no problems with inspections.

drvsdwz

DRiVe SiDeWayZ
registration won't be a problem at all. all the excise tax is based on is the msrp of the vehicle, based on the vin# when first purchased. nothing else.

Matt

if by chance you mil light is on, either unhook the battery or clear the code with a code scanner prior to inspection....lol coming from a state inspector, i hate inforcing that law

Impreza05

Or come up this way where I am sure you can find a few places that will look at lights and honk the horn and sticker you.

dflwrx

I suppose those are all good things to consider. I'm a medical

resident here, so technically I'm a doctor in post graduate training on a 3 year contract. Seems to me that I might fall into the "student" category then, although I do have a stipend it seems pretty similE to the pay structure for

a PhD program or similar.

Being from a state that doesn't have inspections, i'm a bit Leary about having it inspected given the level of modification. Matt, you mentioned being a state inspector, any chance I could take the car to your shop and have you take a look at it, so I can get a heads up, then bring it up to spec before having it formally inspected by you, or someone else you'd recommend?

It still seems reasonable to me that since my permanent mailing address will be remaining in MI, and I'm technically still in post graduate training, that I should be ok with Michigan plates and license. Anyone have experience with anything like that? I really have no idea how they'd be able to pin me since my license, tags, voter reg. Etc. Are all MI.

Nate

Founding Father
You may slide under the radar with you keeping a permanent residence in MI. I wouldn't try passing one over on them with the student bit. I'm pretty sure it only works for students that are here part of the year, etc.

Don't be scared of the inspection process. Take it somewhere, worse they are going to do it charge you the $12, and then not give you a sticker. Its not like they immediately impound your car, and call the cops. They don't really care. Honestly its not illegal to have a HUGE turbo under the hood. Worse thing I see with these cars would be catless exhaust, and you have cats in place. (And let be honest how many mechanics know what external wastegate is.) I get mine inspected every year with catless exhaust and EWG.

diabloadsit

Dude, I have a crap ton of mods to. You would be hard pressed have more than I do. Not saying you dont. Pretty much nothing is stock on my car, including the new built Rallispec block that I just put in the car last week. Never have had a problem here in Maine. I also came from a state that doesn't have inspections (MS).

You are worrying to much.

I suppose those are all good things to consider. I'm a medicalresident here, so technically I'm a doctor in post graduate training on a 3 year contract. Seems to me that I might fall into the "student" category then, although I do have a stipend it seems pretty similE to the pay structure for

a PhD program or similar.

Being from a state that doesn't have inspections, i'm a bit Leary about having it inspected given the level of modification. Matt, you mentioned being a state inspector, any chance I could take the car to your shop and have you take a look at it, so I can get a heads up, then bring it up to spec before having it formally inspected by you, or someone else you'd recommend?

It still seems reasonable to me that since my permanent mailing address will be remaining in MI, and I'm technically still in post graduate training, that I should be ok with Michigan plates and license. Anyone have experience with anything like that? I really have no idea how they'd be able to pin me since my license, tags, voter reg. Etc. Are all MI.

dflwrx

Yeah, i'm all set with the permanent residence in mi for now, so I think I'm all set... If I decide to hang onto this car after I pick up a new dd I may go ahead and change it over. Thanks for the input guys.

As for the car, I suspect it probably does have more mods... But it probably doesn't matter much after you swap dp's and intercoolers... Since those are probably the 2 most identifiable components on the engine
default_smile.png

dflwrx

Hey guys, after thinking about it some more, you guys make a good case that there is really no harm in getting the vehicle inspected since it only costs 12 dollars... Do you guys know of any shops in the greater Portland area that tend to be more mod friendly, if you know what I mean... Also, do you guys know if I can get the vehicle inspected before I get the new tags and registration, or does the inspection have to happen after?

Matt

you must register the vehicle first before you can have it inspected, must have both plates on the car during the inspection.....what kind of mods do you have and ill tell you if id pass you or not!!!

dflwrx

Haha, fmic, rotated mount turbo, custom intake and maf housing, full aftermarket fuel system, full suspension, sti brembos, built ej207, full sti driveline, full exhaust, catdelete.... Etc... Car has an aftermarket wheel and race seat right now, I'm going back to the stock wheel for inspection if I can find a clock spring. Car has a lot more done to it, way

more can quickly list here, those are the big things though...

Also have water/methanol injection on the car...

Car has no Cel's, and passes a plug in readiness test.

Last edited by a moderator:

dflwrx

By he way, I really appreciate you guys taking the time to post on this, knowing essentially nothing about your reg/inspection process, it's been a huge help!!

dflwrx

Also, exhaust is a borla hush, so it's relatively quiet if that makes any difference, and except for the fmic, wheels and hood scoop delete it looks stock, no wings or bodykit to get attention...

Ty Ty

You should be alright if you don't take it to one of the really strict places. Places around here like to...interpret the laws in different ways, and a lot of places just look for things to be safe, rather than pick every little thing apart.

The pile of scrap that I bang around in every day passes with too much trouble every year, I don't think you'll have a problem.

diabloadsit

Dude you will have no problems passing. As long as you pop no CEL's and your exhaust has a cat on it you are golden. Seatbelts, wipers and all the lights work you are fine.

Latest posts

Back