evans wrx + engine build

Evan

step one: buy a wrx with a utec and a couple other mods for the cheap, sell your two other legos to help pay for it.

DSCF7234.jpg

step two: since its already faster than stock, do a first round of exterior mods. may as well toss on a borla exhaust and hks bov while you're at it and paint a couple engine bay pieces.

DSCF8630.jpg

DSCF8373.jpg

DSCF0663.jpg

18" rota subzeros

tcs front lip

painted fender markers

painted side skirts

red tinted tail lights

mesh fog covers

koji headlights

borla exhaust

hks ssqv bov

step three: some interior bits. leather race seats, replace the autometers in there with electric prosport gauges that actually match and a shift knob.

DSCF9014.jpg

DSCF0642.jpg

end summer number one.

step four: clean up the engine bay a bunch, delete what you can, tuck what you cant.

DSCF1192.jpg

step five: find some awesome looking 18x8" et40 OZ wheels and get rid of the rotas.

DSC_0136-2.jpg

DSC_0224.jpg

end of summer number two

step six: future proof against more power by getting these two to install your FMIC, and drop in a 3" invidia too.

photo25.jpg

DSC_9160.jpg

step seven: get backed into by a coworker, make out on the insurance deal because you know how to do your own work.

DSC_9531.jpg

DSC_9532.jpg

DSC_9533.jpg

step eight: roll half an inch out of the fenders to fit 9" et40 wheels.....

DSC_1068R.jpg

DSC_1073R.jpg

step nine: get sponsored for some new 18x9's and trade suspensions for a set of coilovers.

DSC_1139R.jpg

DSC_1164.jpg

DSC_1171.jpg

DSC_1559R.jpg

step ten: use some of the excess insurance money to buy paint and a couple more body mods. then get to work.

DSC_2658R.jpg

DSC_2668R-1.jpg

DSC_2682R.jpg

DSC_3178R.jpg

current mods:

Engine Performance:

TurboXS UTEC w/ remote map switch

TurboXS uppipe (catless)

Perrin silicone intake and filter

HKS SSQV blow off valve

Invidia 3" race catback

Exedy clutch

XS Power FMIC

04 STI radiator + fill tank delete

TDC oil catch can

Battery cut-off switch (for when working on car)

Handling Performance:

Megan Coilovers

Progress group 22mm adjustable rear sway bar

Hawk HP performance brake pads

Interior:

Race seats, black leather w/ red stiching, reclinable

Prosport electric peak recall/warning gauges (Boost/EGT/oil temp)

Autometer triple gauge pod

Whistler radar detector (hardwired)

CNC-cut 1-off shift knob (hey i gotta use all that schooling for something)

Prodrive floormats

Kenwood cd deck w/ ipod input

Infinity kappa 6.5" front component speakers

Infinity kappa perfect 10" sub

Infinity 110rmsX2 + 280rmsX1 amp (painted body color)

Capacitor, distribution block, 4ga. wire, other necessary install bits

Optima red top battery

Exterior:

18x9" et40 wheels + 245/40/18 tires

TCS front lip (FRP)

Foam underspoiler

STI mesh fog light covers

Painted fender markers

Painted side skirts

Koji headlights

All-red tail lights

White LED reverse lights (near license plate)

debadged except for 'wrx'

Tien hood struts

Tucked engine bay wiring and hoses

RedlineRally.com vinyl set (company names)

theres probably more, i just cant remember.

Ouch. What an abrupt ending... Insert :smiley running into a brick wall:

I know this is far from over :thumbsup:

I cannot believe that Butler and McMasters wouldnt be able to help you?????

they have done all the engine work for my family for years, from air cooled VW's to small block chevy's.

great company and great people!

my $.02

I know, we used to use them for the stock cars and they did the 30 over on my 289 in blacksunshine. :dontknow:

Holy raisin Evan - you have been keeping a ton of stuff secret up until now... sponsored wheels, backed into by co-worker and now a new paintjob? Nice!

What is the final color going to be?

I know, we used to use them for the stock cars and they did the 30 over on my 289 in blacksunshine. :dontknow:
i called them once but nobody answered, i need to try again. hopefully they have more subaru experience than engine works unlimited did. they said they could do it, but they've never done a subaru before :icon_scratch:

Holy raisin Evan - you have been keeping a ton of stuff secret up until now... sponsored wheels, backed into by co-worker and now a new paintjob? Nice!

What is the final color going to be?
keepin it mostly WRB but with a little flair. and i need new vinyl for all these new parts, now if i just had a sponsor for that..... :hello:

keepin it mostly WRB but with a little flair. and i need new vinyl for all these new parts, now if i just had a sponsor for that..... :hello:
I'm sure we can work something out. :happy3:

that's a good point. i've been looking in the southern maine area but i could drop it off on a one of my trips down to mass and have them ship it back. i'll call butler tomorrow, its supposed to rain so i wont be able to get much done on the car otherwise.

so i got through to someone at butler macmaster today. they said that the bore and hone alone would be about $160 if i brought them the two short block halves. if i brought them the short block whole, they would have to disassemble it, then want to polish the crank surfaces, put new bearings in, etc etc, and with the bore would cost $1000-1200. the motor has 3000 miles on it, i dont think it needs new bearings :icon_scratch:

as a reference engine works in raymond said $75-100 for the bore and hone, but that particular guy said they didnt have any subaru experience. maybe after rebuilding my stepmoms forester longblock in a couple weeks (and seeing if it runs :laughing1: ) i'll know if i want to do the sti shortblock assembly myself too.

since i haven't really done enough research on pistons and their will be a time delay for getting the block fitted to pistons after i pick them out, i think i'm just going to use the other sti block i have with the stock pistons in it for the time being.

street price forged pistons = ~$500

bulter macaster machining = $150

+ about a month by the time i get everything done and back to me.

the other block i have could be dropped in and will handle the power it'll have to deal with since i'm not putting a big turbo on it just yet. that will give me all the time i want to find pistons i want, possibly get sponsored for them, and have the block machined. then next summer when i put on the turbo kit i'll swap blocks at the same time. the cost of new head gaskets and associated bits is around $100, but i'll probably save that by waiting on pistons and taking my time. this path will only really cost me the labor of swapping the blocks while the motors out.

the one on the left:

DSC_4426.jpg

Get the whole gasket kit for putting the motor back together. It'll include everything you could possibly need and a bunch of stuff you won't, but is wayyy cheaper than piece mealing gaskets.

Ahh so your the guy with the WRX i keep seeing on my way to and from bradbury mtn.
default_smile.png

I almost stopped and talked to you when i saw you out the other day working on it.

50 beans.

yeah, stop in if you see me out there in the wrx or the gti. i'm around on weekends a lot. i'll be working on the paint if it doesn't rain this weekend.

Back