graphite painted BBS

what other colors does Dupli-color have for wheels? Did you use the duplicolor primer too?

How'd ya prep the wheels before painting? Did you sand them at all? I'm gonna do the same trick on the set of Forester XT rims i picked up and sanding will be a beeyatch due to the split 6 spoke.

when i bought them they were already sandblasted, so they were cheap and half the work was already done, score for me.

i didnt do any sanding just cleaned them up and primered. i probably should have sanded them some but oh wells.

def take your time with this cuz i did a set of wheels last year sort of half assed and it shows in the final job.

A couple posts i've read on other forums said to wash & degrease, then use 300-400 grit sandpaper (probably wetsand) followed by 2 or so coats of etching primer, 2 to 3 coats of paint, 2 coats of clear. Maybe i'll just keep my wheels silver... :-

I started teh fun! Burned thru a whole pack of 320 grit paper already and i've only done 2.5 wheels. HA! Bustin' out the dremmel tonite w/ a 320 grit doojigger on it to get the nooks and crannies.

Timely post Mike. I just printed this entire post the other day in prep for retrieving my snows from patriot and painting graphite or maybe somthing even darker like "Brake dust grey" Interested in hearing what worked and what didn't--though I suspect it is just plain tedious grunt work at the end of the day

I read somewhere to use the etching primer... so I did. It's green. The top coats seemed to stick quite well. The only thing that's odd is that the wheels are not smooth. I think it has something to do with the glass flakes they put in the spraypaint to make 'em sparkle. I suspect that i'm going to need to polish them. I painted one centercap, same # of coats and it came out sorta rough. Rubbed it on my T-shirt this morning and it became nice and smooth.

so...

I suspect that i need to get some sorta polishing device to smooth them. I didn't put any clearcoat on them either. I don't want super shine.

I did 3 coats of etching primer followed by 2 light coats of wheel paint and 1 medium coat of wheel paint. I a lot of coats cuz there's so many nooks and crannies in those XT wheels...

Back