JP's 02 Impreza TS

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the end it took me about 20 hours to do this swap, entirely by myself.  I ran into a lot of stupid little problems and what not, but nothing broke or stripped etc.. After about 10 hours I stopped taking a lot of pics oh well..

Borrowed engine hoist

New engine,prior to cleaning..  Wish I would have swapped the cam/crank gears now instead of in the car

damage pic, early in the process

blown engine coming out

Looks like the clutch has be done at some point.  The engine/trans fell right apart!  That was nice.

I didnt get a pic, but seems like #1 cylinder is destroyed and the head wont be rebuildable.. I was disappointed but oh well. 

new engine being seated, the leveler helps a lot!

disregard broken axle boot
default_tongue.png

This is after being cleaned up, and new coolant bypass pipe installed!

I always replace this pipe when I have an engine out, its only 18 bucks..

the crank pulley was VERY stuck on the new engine.  My impact wouldnt work, and I couldn't hold the flywheel by myself.   So I tried this out!  It worked well, first time Ive tried that..  The bolt is holding the flywheel so I can remove the crank pulley.  I have to put a lot of torque on a 3ft breaker bar..

Anyway I stopped taking pics becuase it was dragging on.  But I also adjusted the valves, replaced pcv and rocker cover gaskets etc, back flushed the radiator and heater core.. I also cleaned as much as I could..  plus a lot of other things Im not thinking of right now.  I still have to tear down the blown motor, I think only 1 head will be reusable. 

lookin good, its always good to find and get deals, the little 93 my dad and i bought from you is still tanking right along, hit 202k a couple weeks ago, all i really need to do now is change the valve cover gaskets. once i get a couple paychecks that is

Picked this up today, old school turbo kit for n/a.  Everything is in great shape, very low mile stuff.  I cant wait to get started on the turbo motor.. I might change this setup around a bit we'll see, at the very least im going to wrap a stock header and the uppipe, + turbo blanket.  Engine mangement is up in the air too becuase it wont be until spring, but I dont think a voltage clamp and an fmu will cut it.  I want a WRX ecu swap, with carberry speed density rom.  You can do some really cool things with that,#1 being tune opensource,  #2 being flash CEL on knock.. I have a few of the parts on hand for the wrx ecu swap also

I am interested to see where this goes.

I am looking at future turbo options as well, but I'm thinking of 205 heads wiring and ECU.

I've decided I'd rather spend the money for a wrx ecu, rather than spend ANY money on fmus and voltage clamps etc.. I already have the cam/crank gears i need anyway.. The carberry rom is also too

anyway,,, damage pics!!

Heres all the oil that came out of the engine, including filter drained.  More oil came out of the filter than out of the oil pan..

After removing head...

There are no head damage pics becuase, the head survived!  They are full of metal chunks, but rebuildable for sure..

its sad, seemed like a decent engine not that long ago too..

Car is registered !  I got it on the road, hmm rear wheel bearing is BAD, clutch squeaks and slips a bit.. But engine/trans both seem to be great.. The guy who ruined the engine should not be allowed to own cars.  Luckily his parents took care of the car, so its in decent shape and what not.  Hopefully I can get the wheel bearing fixed for the dirt drive sunday.  I've source a replacement knuckle, and an 18mm rear sway bar. 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back