My new ride...

mikebike357

Completed the single speed today. Cost about $70 in parts that I didn't already have.... would've been less but the headset was borked then the damn pedal blew up on a test ride. arghhh!

DSC03800.jpg

He's not called Mikebike for nothing.

I'm an extreme bicyclist amateurist... What do you use a single speed for?

Looks nice though.

Those are Michelin Wild Gripper Lite S tires! I like 'em cuz they match the writing on the frame.

This is the "around town beater" soon to be seen at places like Hannaford, Shaws and a few trips across teh bridge to Standard Baking. It should really have a semi-slick tire on it but i'm just workin' with what I have.

At least the tires match his Forester Wheels when he painted them... I am too lazy to dig up the thread on that tho... you know "I turn green when I get angry"
default_wink.png

^^^^^^^^That's funny, I don't care who you are.^^^^^^

I'll see if I have any decent used smoother tires.

Nah, nothing I would feel comfortable even giving you. But you never know I might come across some.

Well SoPoSube was over yesterday and he took it for a spin down the street. Said it was skipping on the back ring when under "force". Hmmm... I wonder if it's the Nashbar tensioner cuz Pedro is having a similar issue with his.

Well SoPoSube was over yesterday and he took it for a spin down the street. Said it was skipping on the back ring when under "force". Hmmm... I wonder if it's the Nashbar tensioner cuz Pedro is having a similar issue with his.

had my buddy that works at a local shop take a look at it today @ work. He is pretty convinced that the rear cogs are for a wider spaced chain. so basically Nashbar sold us some BMX sprockets... grr.. time to give them a call...

Typically that's what i'd expect them to have, BMX cogs. But i've run them before with a regular chain and it all worked out ok.

Typically that's what i'd expect them to have, BMX cogs. But i've run them before with a regular chain and it all worked out ok.
The link spacing is off. so under power it jumps. I am going to order one of the king SS cogs and see how that goes. I am going to pop the Cassette back on for now so I can actually ride it.

One of you guys try a BMX chain? Let us know if that works.
I think the link spacing will be too much for the chainring and wear it prematurely.

can you get King parts?

Chris King? No, you have to have a specific account with their company, And I don't think I would sell enough of their product to be worthwhile.

If by "link spacing", you mean the distance between each roller bearing lengthwise, That is a standard 1/2" on all chain. Only the inner widths are different. At least on all the chains I have.

Maybe, whoever makes that cog for Nashbar doesn't have very good manufacturing tolerances and the cog spacing is off.?.?.?.

Pedro - what cog are you running from teh Nashbar kit? The 14t, 15t or 16t?

I have an old BMX cog that I bought a long time ago and used on a singlespeed. I'll see if I can dig it out and compare it. My guess is that Nashbar is goign to say to use a BMX chain or a Singlespeed chain. I've noticed a few "singlespeed" specific chains on the market these days.

Pedro - what cog are you running from teh Nashbar kit? The 14t, 15t or 16t?

I have an old BMX cog that I bought a long time ago and used on a singlespeed. I'll see if I can dig it out and compare it. My guess is that Nashbar is goign to say to use a BMX chain or a Singlespeed chain. I've noticed a few "singlespeed" specific chains on the market these days.
14T is what I am running.

Back