My new Swedish girlfriend

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
New addition to chez Nigel

1968 Volvo 122S, w/rebuilt 2-liter and honkin Weber 2-bbl, sport exhaust, fat Yokos, Bilstein HDs, and IPD sways thicker than a baseball bat. Runs great, is surprisingly F A S T. Interior largely original, with redone seats and headliner. Wicked cool ole buggy, and when you pass ppl going uphill they are like "Whut ta Fark is THAT??!!"
default_cool.png
B)

No name yet, gotta work on that issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's awesome! I'm kind of surprised its actually fast. What kind of cars are you passing on uphills?
default_wink.png

passed a line of Rt 1 slowpokes up the big hill headed south outa Waldoboro. there was an SRT4 behind me and he couldn't (or more likely didn't) blow me off.

the 122's gearbox is out of a later 140 series Volvo, it's got overdrive on 3rd and 4th...so it's effectively a 6-speed. How cool is having a 6-speed in a 43 year old car??!! Seems like you can always pick the right gear to feel the 2-bbl secondary kick in nicely.

SWEEET! I Love it. Nice find

ps. I like the plate.

SWEEET! I Love it. Nice find

ps. I like the plate.
Me too. good thing is, AMAZON plate is part of the deal. Actually used to be my plate on a '67 Amazon, both of which I sold to a buddy a few years ago. now the plate's coming back home, and I still get to wrench on my old Amazon too! The '67 (pictured below) will soon be up for sale as well.

I thought overdrive was the gear itself, not a "secondary" speed to an existing gear?

Like a 3-speed with overdrive is just a transmission with 4 gears, one of which spins the tires slower than the motor?

Anyway, I don't really know how these car things work, so I'm just looking for answers/clarifications.

passed a line of Rt 1 slowpokes up the big hill headed south outa Waldoboro. there was an SRT4 behind me and he couldn't (or more likely didn't) blow me off.

the 122's gearbox is out of a later 140 series Volvo, it's got overdrive on 3rd and 4th...so it's effectively a 6-speed. How cool is having a 6-speed in a 43 year old car??!! Seems like you can always pick the right gear to feel the 2-bbl secondary kick in nicely.
Huh, that's an interesting way of doing a gearbox. Makes sense, I guess they stopped because the general population couldn't figure it out

black or red srt ? cool car ,is that picture takin at lincolnville beach ?

I thought overdrive was the gear itself, not a "secondary" speed to an existing gear?

Like a 3-speed with overdrive is just a transmission with 4 gears, one of which spins the tires slower than the motor?

Anyway, I don't really know how these car things work, so I'm just looking for answers/clarifications.
well, since the solenoid that switches the overdrive on and off is acting a lil wonky, I think I'll be finding out a lot more about the mysteries of Volvo J-Type overdrive units pretty soon.

basically, the overdrive unit changes gearbox output ratios on 3rd and 4th. there's a dash switch, flip it UP to upshift (clutch in, flip switch, clutch out) or flip DOWN to downshift (same process). yes it's a bit confusing but fun and involving, Um I mean "in-Volvo-ing"

black or red srt ? cool car ,is that picture takin at lincolnville beach ?
red SRT, guy had a carful of kidlets so he was being responsible and not eating old Volvos for lunch. but we still both passed 10 cars or so in one go.

yes, L-ville Beach

On the dash? Surprised it isn't on the shifter like big trucks.
there is a switch on shifter as well, but I like the dash switch better cuz it's lighted...less confusion about high range vs low range. Amazon cockpit is pretty snug so it's easy to reach the big red toggle on dash. switch is lit red w/OD on, goes dark with OD off.

I came here expecting a beautiful Swedish chica, and I did not leave dissapointed. Nice pick up, I love that car!

I think I've seen/herd of electric overdrives on older Triumphs. From what I remember it was something you could add from the aftermarket, or could swap from another car. Like it was not part of the trans, but something after it but before the drive shaft.

There are a bunch of different kinds of overdrives. Some older trucks even had a two speed rear end.

Back