My new Swedish girlfriend

^them are fun to try to shift without the clutch

Cool car!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nigel why are you so awesome
default_biggrin.png
Just an observation, but the people on here that are in to rally are the most awesome.

ha nice dave!

I used to have a 72 142S that I put the ipd header, cam, weber setup and a ignition system on.... it was a fun car for what it was. after that I had a 82 242Ti that eventually got a EFI 5.0l dropped in.... I wish I had put a turbo inline 6 in it instead of the stupid v8.... oh well. Any more plans for yours? the ipd header makes a big difference!

I think I've seen/herd of electric overdrives on older Triumphs. From what I remember it was something you could add from the aftermarket, or could swap from another car. Like it was not part of the trans, but something after it but before the drive shaft.

Volvo J-Type overdrive is pretty much that...a 2-spd electrically operated gearbox that rides piggyback on main trans. It's a big ole lump!

Heh discovered today that it works on all 4 forward gears...so it's effectively an 8-speed. seems most useful tho on 3rd and 4th.

working on a list of needs/wants...getting longer all the time, yikes.

Any more plans for yours? the ipd header makes a big difference!
crikey have I landed on a new (and big) slippy slope.

yes to header, also lookin at a pair of Weber 2-bbl sidedrafts which are tempting but not all that much fun to drive on the street (rough idle, poor cold starting etc). the Weber DGV 2-bbl on there now has nice low end torque and pulls good with a nice bump up halfway thru rev range when the secondary kicks in.

parts stash includes 68 Mustang GT front brake setup, evidently it's a straight bolt-on. BIG vented rotors, pads 2x the size of lil stock Volvo ones....mmm, yummy.

car has drum rear brakes but I'm told that Mustang drum parts bolt right up...lotsa hi-po brake shoes and linings available thanks to race aftermarket, some historic race classes require original brake types.

want to suss out options for limited slip rear diff, that's probly the most important thing short-term...when you run outa grip, it don't matter how much power you have. 1-wheel drive doesn't cut it on dirt.

have to decide where to aim the project, for now it's a fun driver with good spunk. don't wanna make it a full on race car, that would spoil half the fun.

I wonder if the volvo 4pot/2pots they used from 72 up will fit that car? I know you can get them cheap off 80's 240's

if the old mustang drums bolt up, then you should be able to swap on a willwood caliper setup made for the mustangs.

thanks for suggestions guys, clearly have a whole new learning curve here.

OK, the matter of the car's name has been settled. Meet Hildegard, which translates from ancient Norse as "defensive battle maiden."

How can ya go wrong with that...an Amazon named Hildegard
default_cool.png

PS--how do I resize the big photo attached?

hey I have a spare rebuild kit for the webers I sold to Furious D for that car...I was cleaning out my shed and found them....they are yours for the low low price of nothing....

I sold D a pair of Weber DCOE40's that came in train wreck of a Lemans rally car.....

I sold D a pair of Weber DCOE40's that came in train wreck of a Lemans rally car.....
heh, there are NO secrets around this place! according to Briggsie, the DCOE40s are a bit undersize for a bored out B20 motor. might try em anyway, they will look sexaY!

Back