My new (to me) 96 Impreza Outback L

mine should be here this week
default_wink.png

Awesome price on the mud flaps!

Car is looking really nice, good job with it!!

And I agree with the lift, lifted subarus are fun
default_wink.png

Been thinking about lifting it. Legacy struts and springs maybe? Not sure.

Still trying to decide how I want to do a skid plate.

The mud flaps are awesome. I made them out of a 1/4" thick 18 wheeler mud flap from NAPA. They are beeeeefyyyy

Looks like you're having fun!!

And your rear wheel bearings will thank you for not going any further under water
default_additional_sillylol.gif

Your cell takes surprisingly good pictures. Usually cell pics are all crappy.super charge

p.s. You should lift it.

I'd like something along the lines of top hat spacers. 1" - 1.5" lift would be awesome. This project screams budget though and dishing out $300 for spacers just seems wrong to me.

JY forester struts are one option. Or you could just use box pipe as spacers like in my GL. It works awesome!

Yeah the strut spacers are pretty easy to make. Just trace out the shape of the strut top, and then make something that is 1" thick, then punch out the studs, add longer ones, and you're done!!!

Bratman: this is waht I was thinking. Finding some OEM spring perches at the JY for cheap and replacing the studs... then getting a friend with a milling machine to just cut out some 0.5" thick spacers that I can stack... so I can choose between 1", 1.5", 2" etc.

Here's my quick writeup of my DIY mudflaps. Total cost including everything $18 (18 wheeler 1/4" thick mudflap + hardware)
default_additional_punch.gif

DSCN0394.jpg

DSCN0404.jpg

THE MATERIALS: a bigass mudflap for an 18 wheeler (from NAPA, just ask for the biggest one they got... $12). THIS THING IS HUGE! That's a 36" yardstick layed out on it.

three strips of thin sheet metal ($0.10 a piece at my hardware store)

8 1" sheet metal screws

2 2.5" sheet metal screws

2 1" nylon spacers

10 fender washers

Tools:

a box cutter with a fresh blade

a yardstick/meterstick

drill

screwdriver

Mounting Instructions: THANK YOU RALLY ARMOR!

LINK

DSCN0395.jpg

CUT EXACTLY IN HALF

DSCN0396.jpg

CUT EXACTLY INTO QUARTERS

DSCN0398.jpg

this **** is THICK!

DSCN0399.jpg

What we're going for

DSCN0400.jpg

Lay the fronts on the rears so you can copy the curve

DSCN0402.jpg

Curve copied

DSCN0403.jpg

Curve copied on both rears. Later you will copy the curves on both sides... you'll see what I mean.

DSCN0405.jpg

Cut your sheet metal about this big

DSCN0406.jpg

Fold it over and drill a smaller hole... I went two sizes smaller than my sheet metal screws. Your sheet metal screws will tap it and you want a real tight fit so your fasteners last long.

I have no pictures of fitment because there is no way I can help you over the internet after this point. You'll do it if you can do it, you won't if you can't. For me it's really easy, might be different for you. But here is more or less what my fronts looked like before I mounted them.

DSCN0407.jpg

I mounted them per RALLY ARMOR's directions. I figured if anyone knew anything about mounting mud flaps for street use, they would.

http://www.rallyarmor.com/store/gc8_instructions/rallyarmor_GC8_classic_mud_flap_mounting_instructions.pdf

DSCN0412.jpg

The rear installed. I wanted to keep the inside from flapping so I drilled a hole in the neighboring seam and threaded a ziptie through it. I also used the predrilled hole in the napa mud flap to mount the top.

SOME PICS INSTALLED

20954592.jpg

66237250.jpg

img0236k.jpg

img0237qq.jpg

Thanks 987687!

I also did DIY clear corners. I'm not going to do a writeup because it's completely self explanatory. Put them in the oven @ 225f for 10 minutes and pull them apart, rip out everything that's orange, put it back together, bake for 10 min, clamp, leave for 30 minutes and reinstall. DONE.

BEFORE!

20954592.jpg

AFTER

img0240d.jpg

img0241y.jpg

img0242u.jpg

Bought a parts car today for $400 + $20 gas.
default_smile.png

Came with:

ej22e with 60k miles

5 speed

full drivetrain

Legacy SS rear discs

99 RS headlights

99 RS grille

99 RS fenders with NO rust

99 RS front seats

brand new windshield! (which I need)

etc etc etc etc etc

IF YOU NEED ANYTHING PM ME! I'm parting this whole thing out!
default_wink.png

When I got home from getting the parts car:

1.jpg

An hour later:

2.jpg

Lights:

3.jpg

COST THUS FAR: $1671

Back