New bulletin for turbo Subaru's READ THIS!

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I'd also like to see how many of the spun rod bearing cars had factory oil filters and good quality oil.
wasn't there a bit of an issue with the factory filters in the beginning? they changed size somewhere along the way. and I believe that the factory filters are made by Purolator.. is that correct?

but either way the miata and the suby take the same filter :thumbsup:

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I stand corrected. I was not aware. Thanks Ryan.

that case is just a pet peve of mine. with the skin grafts she *might* have been able to cover her medical expenses with what she left the courtroom with. which SUCKS!

akinaspeedstar

The interesting thing to me was the idling after a hard run. Oil changes? What they say is a bit excessive. But I wanted you guys to know what they said.

Now don't go all "WAAAAAAAA, Subaru expects too much of me, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" on me.

An Akina, shut the hell up. It says "turbo cars" Old lady coupes need not apply. :thebirdman:

:laughing1:
i think you just called kat old :nono: :confused2:

sorry my normal scarasim didin't come though.

seriously though all this little thing is, is a responce to that problem with turbo cars they were having. yes we had a problem, but we fixed it! and heres a list of things that you can do to help prevent it in your car. kinda deal.

like say your tv's remote died and there were a ton other by the same company that did the same thing. so they send new ones and a note that " always use fresh batterys every week, never leave in the sun, clean your remote twice a day. don't press too hard on the buttons."

things that don't hurt anything, but just go a little over the top.

*gets back in his NA coupe*

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I was just joking around too. It's not like a WARNING! WARNING! type of bulliten. It was a customer care bulletin. Subaru also says to flush your brake fluid every 15k miles, but how many people besides evilaspie do that.

Most people want their car to last, not just worry about if stuff is covered by warranty. If that means changing my oil and letting my car idle for a bit, you can bet I will. I love my car.

And as far as Purolator making Subaru filters: They make them to Subaru specs. That does not mean that Purolator filters are the same thing. AC Delco filters you could buy at Wal-Mart and the AC Delco filters you buy at a GM dealer are NOT the same thing. Wal-Mart tells AC "we want AC filters cheap, so do what you can." And cheapen them they do.

Subaru got a bad batch of filters. From Purolator. They leaked. That is all. They fixed it. I wouldn't trust my engine to any other filter. What is the savings by going with any other filter? Mine are $6.75 and you still should come and buy a drain plug gasket.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I thought the can size changed as well when they got the new batch (good) filters.

I don't need the drain plug gasket anymore (fumoto)

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
No, the size changed after that. It changed because the big filters made it tough to get your hands in around the filter when the engine was hot.

Didja read the part about not using a suction pump to pull the oil out? Or does everyone think that's a load of crap to sell drain plug gaskets?

EvilAsPie

I was just joking around too. It's not like a WARNING! WARNING! type of bulliten. It was a customer care bulletin. Subaru also says to flush your brake fluid every 15k miles, but how many people besides evilaspie do that.
Akina does too, cause i make him! :whip2:

Redline

I've never seen someone use a suction device... why would you? To decrease the possibility of cross-threading the drain plug?

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I've never seen someone use a suction device... why would you? To decrease the possibility of cross-threading the drain plug?
they are the only way to do it with boats... can't get to the drain plug without pulling the motor. they are quick and clean and you can't leave the drain plug off. all the guy underneath has to do is put on a new filter.

patsti

NitrousFed
Curious Pat...

How many of those owners are older, Sunday Drivers? How many never auto-x, beat, or do any performance mods to their car? I'd like Inski or Shorty to chime in and inform us of how many people they've had come into their shop that use their car for strictly DD and yet it fails. I'm willing to bet you my business that a strong majority of the engine borking happens to those who drive hard.

Like I said, beat the car if you want, but when your engine shits the bed, don't go crying to Subaru. If the engines are so prone to failure, why are there so many high-mileage boxers around? How could a company survive if they don't provide a good product?

And as for my "wisdom", which I have little of, by the way... it's like anything else online - take it or leave it. And while you're at it... go :thebirdman: yourself. :thumbsup:
you see less people with honda's mitsu's mazda's etc with spun rod bearings then wrx's if you take a look at the block the bearing journals are way too small. and as for the sunday driver or older thing... I know of people on here who are older and beat the piss out of there cars and most people buy cars to drive everyday and expect them to hold up. It seems to be... not always but for some that wrx motors tend to wear bearings at 100k or so. It might just be the way they get oiled... like how 7bolt 4g63's have crankwalk on stock cars and even at low low miles.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
I thought a Fumoto was your penis pump converted to suck the oil from your "sump" :laughing1:

There isn't a problem with Subaru engines. If they are uncared for, they fail.

Except maybe N/A headgaskets :puke:

Redline

Noted. :thumbsup:

So if you weed through my previous posts, Pat, and concentrate on what is being said - not how it's said or the fact that Redline said it - you'll sum up exactly what Shorty just wrote.

Just like _anything_ else.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
I thought a Fumoto was your penis pump converted to suck the oil from your "sump" :laughing1:

Its a replacement drain plug with a valve.

fumoto01.jpg

I got one just like this. a small piece of hose and you don't have to touch the oil (makes hot oil changes a snap)

I am testing this one next oil change to see if I need to machine it down so it gets everything out of the pan.

akinaspeedstar

conspiracy i say!!! that's why the crush washers have to be changed every time!! and why you can't use suction!!! where did i put my tin foil hat???

as for head gaskets... im surprised mine hasn't failed yet. hey is that additive free?? i might put some in with my next coolant change.

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
Damn close to free. It's like $1.39.

When Trainable buys filters, I'd ask him if he needs a gasket and he just says "I've got a Fumoto" I was thinkin' he was suckin' it out the dipstick tube.

Redline

This gasket you are referring to - do you mean the crush washer?

And this conditioner, is it supposed to keep the HG in check? What is it?

Shorty

Evergreen Auto Spa
The drain plug gasket. It's a crush washer that is a one time use gasket.

The conditioner is suppose to make headgaskets last longer. Near as I can tell it's a lot like Bars Leaks. It's only required on 2.5 DOHC and 2.5 SOHC until '04. You're suppose to put a new bottle in everytime you drain the coolant.

Back