New member and pics of my 09 sti

a of right now with the payments and moving into a new house i dotn see any in my future but when i do first things will be intake exhaust and em. i woudl prefer to save up and do all at once so that way when i dont have to keep getting it retuned. Also really want a bov. nothign better sounding than a nice rumble from an exhaust and the great pppssshhhhhhh sound. I have never owned a ca in maine so i dont know what i can do to the car and still pass inspection. this ilso wont be a dailey driver so dont want to void my warranty. Ive never owned a subaru and never owned a turbo so still need to familiarize myself with the car and what will get me the most bang for my buck

Last edited by a moderator:
youll really love the car at stage 2... nice exhaust, tune will wake the car up a lot. add an intake will net you all the noise you might want from a blow off valve. once you open it up the stock BPV make quite a bit of noise.

Nice pics. I heard that Subaru wasn`t bringing too many 09`s into the country. You may be one of the lucky few.
default_additional_sillylol.gif

Nice pics. I heard that Subaru wasn`t bringing too many 09`s into the country. You may be one of the lucky few.
default_additional_sillylol.gif

yeah when checking with 6 different dealers that was the last dark grey 09 on the east coast so i got lucky for sure

youll really love the car at stage 2... nice exhaust, tune will wake the car up a lot. add an intake will net you all the noise you might want from a blow off valve. once you open it up the stock BPV make quite a bit of noise.
so your saying just an intake would do that or the whole combo of exhaust and tune?

an intake will make all sorts of noise... i personally would wait on the intake till you have other parts and your getting tuned. cause most intakes require a bit of tuning to make worth your wild. get yourself a good cat back first.... run it and enjoy the sound. then i would work towards stage 2 (get a nice downpipe, and engine management) and while you're at it get in intake and go get protuned.. youll love it!

what can i do exhaust wise and still have it pass inspection?

i wouldnt worry too much about any catback, and if your scared about inspections when you get a downpipe stick with a catted one.

well its been raining all week since i bought the car so this is the best i can do for now
DUDE, I know where you live. You live at the house on Road 123 past the College in Brunswick. Is this you? I have seen you I think when I go and play golf at the NASB's golf coarse.

Hey I run a full open exhaust and go to Lee's (which are pretty hard core on inspections) and I have never had any problems.

Don't get the exhaust to loud there you will be pulled over for it. Trust me I have been pulled twice in the past 2 weeks for my exhaust being two loud. Havnt gotten a ticket but they have warned me about it.

DUDE, I know where you live. You live at the house on Road 123 past the College in Brunswick. Is this you? I have seen you I think when I go and play golf at the NASB's golf coarse.
lol nope i haven't even moved to maine yet so must be somone else. i will be living in turner

1) Also really want a bov. nothign better sounding than a nice rumble from an exhaust and the great pppssshhhhhhh sound.

2) I have never owned a ca in maine so i dont know what i can do to the car and still pass inspection. this ilso wont be a dailey driver so dont want to void my warranty.

3) Ive never owned a subaru and never owned a turbo so still need to familiarize myself with the car and what will get me the most bang for my buck
1) An aftermarket BOV doesn't really increase the "whoosh" factor much, but an aftermarket cold-air intake does.

2) Firstly, I believe you meant "cah", not ""ca"...
default_smile.png

Secondly, in Maine you can do anything you like, short of removing emissions
default_smile.png
and still pass "inspection".

However, Subaru of America (SoA) VOIDS your warranty (and will "blacklist" your car from future warranty work!!) for add-ons like a cold-air intake, exhaust modifications, and even something as simple as a BOV.

If you want the 3/36K bumper-to-bumper warranty to stay in effect, and the longer-lasting powertrain warranty, do NOT modfiy the car without consulting a Subaru dealer and getting in WRITING that the modifications you're doing do not void your SoA warranty.

Also, Patriot Subaru is one dealer that does NOT favorably on ANY Subaru modifications.

They could blacklist your car for a simple intake switch, do NOT take a warrantied there for even a simple fluid change, if modified.

Evergreen Subaru, however, understand that simple mods' do not = Fail, and work with people with lightly modified Soobs. Capish?

3) Intake, exhaust and suspension are the E-Z Firsts to tackle.

Those are the simple, "Tuner Starter Kit" modifications, and require no more than a Cobb Accessport, in Stage II, to control.

After that, examine your goals for the car.

Do you want to do 0-60 sprints at red lights? Or run the quarter-mile competitively?

Are you planning to run time-attack, or just f'ing around in snowy parking lots?

You'll have had the car a while before you need to answer these Qs-most will answer themselves.

Then, look at your turbo, intercooler, fuel system (rails, injectors, pump) and perhaps methanol injection...

...And (finally!) a detailed ProTune for the Accessport, with the new turbo, et al.

Anyhow, welcome to MS, and enjoy the new STi!

Last edited by a moderator:
i wouldnt worry too much about any catback, and if your scared about inspections when you get a downpipe stick with a catted one.
The only county that uses a "sniffer" for emissions is Cumberland County.

As long as your CEL lights with the key on in "accessory" position, and doesn't light when the motor's on, you're all set.

only reason i say that is.... some places look to see if you have a cat. converter still in place. from my understanding it is illegal to remove them. nothing says it cant be a high flow version.... but it it just needs to look like its there.

Back