New sub-compacts

inski

Anyone been keeping an eye on the sub-compact car market? Looks like cheap thrills in the near future.

Chevy Sonic. 1.4L Turbo, with 40mpg, designed by the Corvette Engineers.

Ford Fiesta

Hyundia Veloster

Fiat 500

Mazda 2

Scion iQ

Jamey

I actually like the new scion. TC. I had a 05 TC loved it but sold it to move to Maine

inski

Those are nice but i think they've moved them from sub-compact to compact due to its size and power. In one of the videos on youtube they said the sonic is 400lbs lighter than the TC. that's a huge difference. I can't wait to see what the aftermarket brings for the Fiesta and Fiat. Both of those are big successes in Europe. There should be some cool stuff happening to those.

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
The fiesta is the current winner in my book. Something in this segment will likely be my next car. Unless Subaru brings over the Dex or some of the diesel options they probably won't get my money again.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
Fiesta FTW x47

have been driving the ones at Team O'Neil, they're part of the Fiesta Rally Experience. pretty much straight out of the box these cars drive amazingly well. Understeer is just not in their vocabulary. with a bit of electircal tweakage the stability control can be um, lobotomized, and the car turns super well with a dab of left foot braking. ratios in the 6-speed box are nice nd close, like motorcycle gears.

All sorts of cool afgtermarket go-fast bits have been developed for this platform in Europe, only a matter of time B4 US Fiesta owners start trolling the net for goodies and somebody in US starts importing the stuff

somebody mentioned "I don't wanna get in a wreck in thet lil thang"....well the fiesta is actually quite stout in stock form. high-strenght steel frame around cockpit basically makes a schweet rollcage. the shell in this car is incredibly stiff. Fiesta has I think the highest rollover rating of any car currently on US market.

you can get proper gravel rally suspension, tarmac suspension, engine mods, skidplates, brake upgrades, sequential gearboxes.....ooooh yeh Just Apply Money!

Team O has one of the new R2 Fiesta rally cars in build.....omfg is it sexay. (in approx a million pieces at the moment, but the parts on shelf waiting to get bolted on,,, mmmmm good)

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
yes, full R2 pkg. build going slowly as they deal with homologation issues of 4-door shell, which does not rally in Europe. over there it's all the Fiesta 3-door hatch. FIA documentation is incredibly picky and super detailed, every single change to mech systems, wiring, plumbing ,cage, shell etc needs to be documented for homologation and there's no rushing the FIA or they just go, "huh nice car but not legal. back to drawing board for you boys."

boxer3main

<1.8 liter
I wouldn`t want to get into an accident in one of those little cars.

me either...

to see sideways inline drivetrain in japanese size limo (subcompact).. is not a bad thing. they overdid the motorcycle n a car starting with hondas and dodge colt AWD in the 80s.

good for them and these builds...

to stab at this evolution with history, a 1500cc boxer'd borgward goliath was twice as heavy and had four doors, 16 gauge steel....for even less consumption.

I try not to get depressed.. but glad the little nerd mobiles exist for whoever is politically incorrect.

Nigel Prodrive

Dirt surfer
boxer what izzit you don't understand about crash engineering with modern high-strength steels and designated crumple zones in new gen cars? THEY ARE SO MUCH SAFER in accidents than the beer can Loyales ever were, or aircraft carrier size 68 Impalas, etc. God help ya if you wreck an F-150, all that weight just makes the crash worse.

would MUCH rather withstand the g's in small new gen car than big old one any day. there's just no comparison.

Mark

i'd like to throw the honda CRZ into this discussion as well, even though the FIT is technically more their sub econo-box. my girlfriend is looking into purchasing a CRZ in the spring if it is nice enough.

i strongly considered picking up a fiesta but my vain side kicked in. i just don't like the styling quite enough.

as a side note duplessis is currently driving a scion xD

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
boxer what izzit you don't understand about crash engineering with modern high-strength steels and designated crumple zones in new gen cars? THEY ARE SO MUCH SAFER in accidents than the beer can Loyales ever were, or aircraft carrier size 68 Impalas, etc. God help ya if you wreck an F-150, all that weight just makes the crash worse.

would MUCH rather withstand the g's in small new gen car than big old one any day. there's just no comparison.
The really funny thing about all of this is that the new Fiesta is:

Longer: 3.4"

Wider: 4"

Taller: 2.3"

Heavier: 162 kg (357.15 lbs)

More powerful: 23hp* (that is best case for the EA82)

Faster: 4.8sec 1/4mi

More fuel efficient: 8mpg city / 14mpg highway

Crashes better:

vs :

Loyale vs Squirel

8-10-07-honda-4.gif

Mark

and now i withdraw my comment about the crz. after REviews instead of PREviews it seems rather than a sport hybrid it's more hybrid than sport.

maybe we'll look at mini coopers...

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
no Mini dealers for service in maine.

But if that isn't a concern I would suggest test driving them. Theya re quite roomy and fun to drive.

Mark

no Mini dealers for service in maine.

But if that isn't a concern I would suggest test driving them. Theya re quite roomy and fun to drive.
there's a small private dealership that specializes in them down the road from me in freeport. they normally have between 6 and 10 used ones for sale at any given time. figure i might give one a test drive. as you can atest, it's always a good thing when your better half has a fun car

Pedro

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶
Double check with them that they service them. I know they always have them for sale. Their prices are a bit steep for what they had when we were looking at them.

And yeah it is fun when your S/O has a fun car. I get to thrash hers at NEFR and TeamO rallies!

34871_1489127878888_1554706779_1175730_7559054_n.jpg

Matt

We worked on one once that got alittle over our heads so it needed to go to the dealer. Come to find out it was in something like mass.

Latest posts

Back