Prep work for turbo install

Nate

Founding Father
So as some of you may know. I have picked up a new turbo for my car, and long with it came some other added goodies. I have time on my side, and chose to do some extra prep work to some of the new piping I bought. I high temp silicon coated, and heat wrapped my up pipe and down pipe. I also sprayed out my external wastegate dump tube.

To prep the surfaces I sand blasted and scotch brited the piping, to scuff up and start to clean them. Then I cleaned them down with brake cleaner to rid them of any left over oil. I carefully taped off the areas i didnt want painted, the started spraying.

I added a couple coats of silicon spray under the heat wrap to give it a extra layer of protection from any moisture that may work its way in through to the pipe. Once dry, I wrapped the pipes. Then added LOTS more spray to give the wrap a sort of waterproof layer, and add more coats to the piping.

I chose to finish with black paint to give it a stealthy clean look. I dont claim to be a photographer, but heres some pictures of the results:

101_1918.jpg

101_1919.jpg

101_1920.jpg

101_1921.jpg

Sweet!!! It's nice when you have the time to get everything the way u want it. Can't wait to see and hear about the results!!

Thanks guys. Im really glad I did it. I think the little extra work I did will help it not only look better, but also help keep the heat in the exhaust and not on the side of my engine.

nice job fireman. Second pic looks like the gt is looking in wishing for some attention as well.
Haha. The wife says the LGT is done getting attention for a while.

Are you getting a new top mount I/C?
Not right now im not. Its in the future though.

Nate I am by no means trying to be a debbie downer here but you might regret putting the DFI wrap with the paint. I did the same thing and the maine winters destroyed the wrap.

My uppipe is still pretty good but my headers and downpipe were destroyed by the salt and heat.

Beside my experience in that area you did a good job.

Im more worried about the wrap on the up pipe then I am on the downpipe. The downpipe was wrapped just to keep some heat out of the engine bay. As I was wrapping the down pipe I started at the bellmouth, and as I got down to the bottom of the "drop" section I added a clamp. I then kept wrapping and finished with another clamp. I figured with that bottom hanging down low, if it becomes crappy over time and unravels it will stop at that middle clamp. No big loss. The only part of the downpipe I even care about having wrapped is the upper "drop" section anyway.

I did the same with my downpipe and it is still holding fine after a year. But, my downpipe which I had several clamps on and my headers which were litered with clamps turned to crap. I am going to take my uppipe and headers off and send them off to get ceramic coated as soon as I get the money. I will never use the wrap again.

I just don't think the DFI wrap was meant for a street car where salt and water and heat come into play on a daily basses. On a track car it would do better I believe.

I'll run it for now. I see where you are coming from though. I think honestly I will be upgrading to a grimmspeed uppipe eventually (with flex section that this pipe is missing) and it will come powder coated.

Lots of people run them without anything, so im figuring what ever I do will be better then nothing.

Not yet, and i dont think i will. At this point im out of money for extra basically un-needed things like that. Not to mention im slightly scader to pull apart a stock turbo for coating.

Pipes and turbo will be going on like they are. I will be trying to rework my heatsheild to go on over the turbo, and if needed I will add the SPT sheild over the stocker. As for the pipes, im running them all wrapped up as they are. If they start to unravel after a winter or so, ill revisit it when the time comes. Ill rip them off and powdercoat them inside and out at that time.

Back