Rays 99 Impreza OBS. The Battle Wagon

pretty sure it is faster than the obs, even faster than an rs if im correct. and better bushings is a big plus.

deff. getting those bushings, calling evergeen tomorrow to see if they might have them. now to find a wrx steering rack on the cheap

So here goes me making a fool of myself...

I took today and replaced my steering rack that I was told was bad by the people that did my alignment. Took me about 4 hours, and a bolt broke in the sub-frame so I had to drill and tap that..really it was just a PITA to do. After its all back together and im all happy to get good steering back, I back the car out of the grage and go to turn the wheel...SAME BINDING AND CREAKING NOISES
default_additional_mad2.gif
So I don't know what to think and start looking around and notice the creaking noise was coming from the strut top hats the whole time!!!!! The bearings in them are shot and are what is causing my front end problems.

TL;DR I replaced my steering rack which is a pain to do, and it wasnt even the problem.
default_additional_lol2.gif

rs strut tops the same as obs by chance? ive got my old stock struts sitting in my garage not being used

service for a rally team sometime and all of a sudden all of the things that have gone wrong with your car or what you did with replacing the rack seem minuscule in comparison

example: Driver hears "clunk" coming from front end after running the last satge of the day, decides that the front control arms need to be replaced. You and another monkey who are servicing spend an hour changing the control arms, at 1am.

the "next morning"...really two-three (I cant remember) hours later, your driver brings the car to Parc expose and tells you and the monkey who helped you change the control arms "the clunk is still there"

"Lets change blah, blah blah" at the next service (you have 20 minutes)

Its all relative man;)

That's sucks. Yeah it's not common for Subaru steering racks to fail, they might leak a lot, especially the GC's, but they usually don't fail. But at least you know what it is now!! And you didn't need a shop to tell you!

service for a rally team sometime and all of a sudden all of the things that have gone wrong with your car or what you did with replacing the rack seem minuscule in comparison

example: Driver hears "clunk" coming from front end after running the last satge of the day, decides that the front control arms need to be replaced. You and another monkey who are servicing spend an hour changing the control arms, at 1am.

the "next morning"...really two-three (I cant remember) hours later, your driver brings the car to Parc expose and tells you and the monkey who helped you change the control arms "the clunk is still there"

"Lets change blah, blah blah" at the next service (you have 20 minutes)

Its all relative man;)
yeah for sure! Its all part of tinkering!

So ray, does this at least mean that you now have poly steering bushings and a WRX steering rack? If so, once you get the new strut bearings in I would be interested to know if it made a big difference.
default_additional_rallydrive.gif

Got a Blox 490 spherical shift knob for Christmas! just put it on and man is that thing nice, weighs almost a pound! However, it made me realize how sloppy my shifter was so I will be ordering a TIC knuckle soon!

never noticed you had a pink subaru badge! gotta love those! and I had a great idea for a plate if you dont already have it "BTLWGN"

Back