well its a jeep.

Cherokee's are unibody. No frame. Throwing an impreza on a Wrangler frame is another story....
You could technically make an awd cherokee by throwing in a selec-trac transfer-case. It's not as good as Subaru awd, but it is full-time 4wd. I don't know the part numbers and I doubt they're as tough as the standard command-tracs.
NP242, and they did put them in some XJs.

for some reason it wont let me see page 2, says I dont have permission......
default_additional_rules.gif

Yeah, it does that all the time for me. I have to go out, and then click the newest post button.

im just posting a dot, then it brings me to what the last page, the edit my post to answer what was said before, I can see the OP but that's it, ill try the newest post button thanks!

Its an issue with your title, I fixed it. Strangely enough it was the "...." you added at the end of your title of the thread. It causes issues as the thread progresses. This forum software is whacked sometimes.

oh sorry about that, thanks for the fix nate, you all do an excellent job keeping this place going!

The 242 was the XJ select-trac transfer case. 2wd, 4hi full time, 4hi part time, 4lo.

The 249 is the quadra-trac transfer case out of the ZJ.

Nice jeep. I went to maine 4x4 too.. then reality of not thrashing an old dual range sube set in, did not go back.

I did notice a lot of 6/8 cyl 4x4s hang and and on.. be it fuel or whatever,sitting around... I may offer up my old sube for american 4x4 when it is done. Nice trade. gas hog for not a gas hog..I want the sube to sit. an ownwer may get a pleasant surprise on value in coming years, market stampedes have to get out of the way first.(as classic cars emerging go)

Not long ago, I found a m1009.. a 3/4 ton military blazer with a 6.2 liter 21:1 diesel. $1500. holy cow.

Remembering they needed newer design glo plugs for the half million miles of pounding... I may offer up for one of those, hopefully fresh from auction, still military colors.I may even bid on my own...my dd214 ensures I am not a nut case bidding on american gov't stuff.

I also found a new driveshaft design avoiding the infamous live axle yoke breaking...ideas already swirling.

The jeeps and stuff, I see a squared strong simple bumper, chopped quarters, and know parts are galore. I miss the hell out of that.

Your old man was talking this bad boy up at work... im thinking about turning my truck into an offroad buggy, when i do we'll have to hook up for some wheelin

The 242 was the XJ select-trac transfer case. 2wd, 4hi full time, 4hi part time, 4lo.
The 249 is the quadra-trac transfer case out of the ZJ.
That's what I said:p The XJ also had the 231, the 249 was the closest to AWD like they were talking about.

That's what I said:p The XJ also had the 231, the 249 was the closest to AWD like they were talking about.
242 4hi full time is open center diff 4wd. Both the 242 and the 249 were pretty close to the same thing. The only difference is the viscous coupling in the 249's diff is prone to failure. The 242 is stronger, and a direct swap in the XJ with the same operational functionality.

So
default_biggrin.png
right back.
default_biggrin.png

just got back from a 4 day fishing trip in Kennebago country! it was beautiful, loads of fish, moose, and all kind of other cool sighting, pictures will soon follow!!

242 4hi full time is open center diff 4wd. Both the 242 and the 249 were pretty close to the same thing. The only difference is the viscous coupling in the 249's diff is prone to failure. The 242 is stronger, and a direct swap in the XJ with the same operational functionality.
So
default_wink.png
right back.
default_wink.png
I had the 249 in my ZJ and beat the snot out of it until it would creep forward while in park, then I swapped the 242 in. I liked having the option of 2wd.

its excellent! put some new all terrains on it a few days ago, they ride nice. hows the RS?

Back