Progress pics of winter/spring transplant

Trevor723

Well as some of you know from my for sale threads.. the FP Green is out and GT30R is on it's way. Work has me in Massachussets Monday-Friday, leaving me only a handful of hours each week to work on this, but things are progressing pretty well so far. The girl is learning to love her jackstands that's for sure. A few pics of what's happened so far:

Everything removed, coolant reservoir lines shortened/moved for charge pipe and intake:

missing%20turbo.JPG

New catch can, no more dumping oil pre-turbo for me. You can also see the Cusco master cylinder brace which is a new addition:

catchcan.JPG

Cobb front and rear endlinks are installed:

front%20link.JPG

rear%20link.JPG

Updates to come as parts continue rolling in! ;D

Lunch break update
default_wink.png

Uppipe and wastegate are installed. Look at all the wiring and powersteering crap that needs to find a new home just so the turbo will fit. I still haven't decided if I'm going to run an intake on this or just a screen on the compressor. Will see how much room and go from there.

wastegate.jpg

Radiator overflow put in place. The stock one comes out to make room for intercooler piping.

overflow.jpg

Stripped the Perrin stencil off the intercooler.. can't get the paint out of the fins though. I may have to paint the core black, but I'd rather keep it silver. Made some modern art out of the rag at the same time. Ebay it?
default_biggrin.png

art.jpg

Turbo fits! Not much work as much work as I thought to get things moved out of the way. Of course it helps to have someone who's done a dozen or so showing me what to do. What I don't have right now and what is keeping me from bolting it in is some 5/8" line that will withstand oil full time. Gonna have to source some heavy duty transmission line or the like some place this week. Also need to get a blow off valve and wideband. Should run in 2 weeks tops though! Undecided right now if we are gonna pull the intake manifold and do TGV deletes and fuel rail or not. I have the stock motor with 60k on it, so there may be a chance I'm pulling everything off the shortblock at some point anyway....

Check out my sexy turbo ;D

turboinstall.jpg

Back for more...

Last weekend was more or less a bust due to some missing parts and the mistake I made thinking that my intercooler piping was stainless when it's in fact aluminum, so I had to order an aluminum BOV flange for the Tial. I also test fit the downpipe but needed to get a wideband bung installed which I didn't have yet so that is back off the car.

Today was a lot more productive.

I couldn't get the stencil off the intercooler to my satisfaction.. it was just too hard to get out of the fins. I ended up painting the entire face black. It'll be more stealthy this way anyway.

blackcore.jpg

The Perrin piping to me isn't all that great in terms of fit. The cold side pipes go together pretty well but the hotside leave something to be desired. I had to really tweak each joint several times to get things together satisfactory. Here's the hotside completely installed with the blow-thru in place to check for fit:

piping.jpg

Here you can see just hot tight it is coming off the compressor. 4" inlet with about 3.5" of room... this is after I reworked the breather tube coming off the head. Before it was entirely in front of the compressor. I really don't want to run a reduced intake on the car but I might not have a choice... unless of course I just run a screen for a filter.

intake.jpg

I picked up StreetTuner this week from a fellow New Englander (thanks crazymikie!!) that I will be using for tuning since the only dyno shop relatively close to me closed last fall. Also picked up a LC-1 wideband with custom LCD display. So far I have the display mounted in the Forester pocket, but the wiring might have to wait til next weekend due to Easter. I used a piece of 1" x 1/2" aluminum angle screwed through the bottom of the pocket and some velcro to attach the display to the angle.

wideband.jpg

Last thing that I got done today was the install of the Turn In Concepts cowl stays. Used the write up in the How To section for install tips and went to town. I found that taking out the top 3 bolts on the fender and just loosening the top bolt by the door was perfect. Also learned that one Tein hood damper is enough to hold up the hood. Huge props to TIC for a killer group buy!!

Last thing... a teaser of my cars new stable mate... 05 STI running the Ultimate Racing GT30R kit. Can you say 800whp garage?? Let's keep our fingers crossed for the next couple weeks and we'll see.

davesti.jpg

Damn Keep the good work man...you'll have to give test rides when you bring this thing to a meet...

With any luck the car will start by Sunday afternoon!

I am waiting for an oil feed line and that's it. I have to install the wideband and trim the bumper. Then it will be on to trying my hand at the streetTuner software and dusting off some math skills.
default_frown.gif

Hopefully in another couple weekends Dave and I can have it dialed in.

Back