Would you excommunicate me if...?

I'll give you the same advice my father gave me when I was learning. Try and drive your car in first gear as slow as you can without stalling. I did this in an empty corner of a parking lot (schools are not in session today). Doing this, you'll get a good feel for clutch engagment. Once you get ahold of this, the rest is cake.

I'll give you the same advice my father gave me when I was learning. Try and drive your car in first gear as slow as you can without stalling. I did this in an empty corner of a parking lot (schools are not in session today). Doing this, you'll get a good feel for clutch engagment. Once you get ahold of this, the rest is cake.
That is a good idea. Keep in mind for when my daughter starts driving in 2025 or somehere in that range.

That's what my dad keeps telling me to do
default_additional_sillylol.gif

So you're saying get it in first, and then slow down, or just drive around putting it in and out of first? Or third option: start, stop, start, stop, start stop, just to get lots of shifts into 1st.

Yeah, that's what I made my little brother do. Before he got to touch the gas, I made him only use the clutch. In first, I had him let off the clutch and try not to stall it ... over and over and over (once the car is moving in first, you can let completely off the clutch without it stalling)... only after he seemed to have gotten the feel for it did I let him try it with the gas. Then it was the same thing ... 1st over and over and over until he was comfortable with that. Shifting between gears is easy

Well, I guess that there are a couple different ways to do it. The way I learned was to keep it in first and just crawl, with your left foot on the clutch pedal and right foot on the accelerator. You feel how the car reacts and what it needs (more or less clutch/accelerator engagment) based on the slope of the road and your speed. A flat parking lot for example should be a pretty consistant "ratio" if you will, when an accent is going to feel different and you'll have to adjust the clutch and gas accordingly to get you up the hill. For starters though, I would stick with an empty lot that is relatively flat.

Andrew, I hope that we still have honest manual gearboxes when our children are old enough to drive!!!

When I learned I just drove the car. I also did what spinmatert said, let the clutch out till the car moves, this is great advice. This teaches you when the clutch and gears engage and gives you a feel for the clutch. From what I saw when you were are my house, your skillz are fine. You can't just be an expert, everybody stalls is when they start out learning, hell I stalled mine so many times and got honked at from people and still stall if when i am not paying attention. With time will come smooth shifts and quick starts etc. You are doing fine my man, just let time do its thing and soon enough you will be an expert.

and also remember every clutch is different in every car, just be aware of that if you drive other sticks.

pink is teh hawt sawce
I'm seriously considering doing my badge. Not-so-seriously considering the hood stuff. They could use paint though.
I have had two sets of pink rims/ a car painted hot pink/ a friends track car painted pink... I say with a really stock car its hard to pull off... DONT DO IT!

Back