98 GT AWESOMENESS!!

Some smart Subaru people on another board seem to think it's the tailshaft section of the transmission. This would seriously piss me off.

It's not that I can't replace it, it's that I don't want to. If that's the problem I'll take the tranny apart and fix it (can be done in car), and probably sell the damn thing.

I love the GT, don't get me wrong, but I want to go back to the simplicity of a GL. I can fix it on the side of the road with caveman tools. It's bumpy, loud, and reliable.

New diff, axles, and sheet metal it'll be good to go for the rest of time. Until some simple, easy to fix, cheap part breaks. Then I'll fix it with my caveman tools...

It pissed me off right wicked bad replacing the diff.... I can tell it wouldn't normally be such a bad thing to replace. It wasn't too hard getting the new one in.

BUT the back two bolts that go from the cover to the crossmember.... The nuts wouldn't come off. They were rusted so bad you couldn't even recognize a hex pattern. I tried welding a rod to them, but so rusty I couldn't get a good weld on. I had to sawzall the damn things off. WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT!!

Ya, the noise is gone. Got a diff from an 04 outback with 56k miles from Norm's.

I have a meeting in Bangor I have to go to today, but tonight I'll dissect the old diff and see what failed.

Last edited by a moderator:
It pissed me off right wicked bad replacing the diff.... I can tell it wouldn't normally be such a bad thing to replace. It wasn't too hard getting the new one in.

BUT the back two bolts that go from the cover to the crossmember.... The nuts wouldn't come off. They were rusted so bad you couldn't even recognize a hex pattern. I tried welding a rod to them, but so rusty I couldn't get a good weld on. I had to sawzall the damn things off. WHAT A PAIN IN THE BUTT!!
I dealt with this when I put the LSD in my OBS, those bolts were a pain in the rear diff!

I dealt with this when I put the LSD in my OBS, those bolts were a pain in the rear diff!
In the junk yard car I just "clearanced" the spare tire well with my BFH... couldn't do that on my car though...

My car is leaking oil from something... Yesterday I was parked in a few paved lots around UMO campus and my sister's appt.

It was nice and rainy wet, first time I got back to my car I thought the oil slick under it must have been someone else. The next 4 times I realized my car was making an oil slick... The engine, tranny, and PS juices are all full though. ...

In other news for my car, I got a set of snowflakes. A bit rough around the edges, but in pretty good shape overall. I might re-finish them, or just leave them as is for running my snow tires next winter. The finish on them now is good enough I could probably just do a light sand and spray job.

It's times when a 6 mile drive on 25mph back roads takes me 4 minutes that I don't want to sell this car...

To update, I have nothing to update about this car.

It's a reliable turn key DD, it's as comfortable as sitting on an expensive leather couch, it flys down back roads like a rocket ship, and driving with the sunroof open makes me smile.

Oh, and the parking brake doesn't work. Which is annoying, I like setting it when I park on steep hills so it doesn't abuse the parking pawl in the transmission. It needs new shoes, last year I dicked with it until it passed inspection, but I never really properly fixed it.

So lately my car has been leaking a HUGE amount of oil. If I park it in the garage, half an hour later there's a puddle about 10" across under the car.

So today (of course, outside on the driveway), I lifted the car up and investigated. I started scraping oily rusty scale off the oil pan. And BAM suddenly I have a deluge of oil. I ran for a bucket. I uttered a long string of words. I made up a few new ones.

At least that explains the oil leak under the engine and why there's a lot of oil on the bottom of the pan always. What it does not explain is the oil that leaks on the header and smokes a lot. Another project, another day. I'm going to go do some errands, get oil, filter, sealant, and throw a new pan on there. I have a few laying around. FAEIOU(and Y)CK

So it's all fixed. I still completely fail to see how a quarter inch hole can rust in an oil pan. I'd think as soon as oil was leaking out of a pinhole it would stop.... I guess this motor sat a while though. So that didn't help.

Anyway, it's not as bad of a job as people say.

Back