April 24 Rochester RallyX

The info is good for everyone public. Top off fluids, remove loose items + floor mats from car, bring a helmet. Hell, I'm throwing my snow tires in my car and putting them on once I get there. That's it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good points...and I'm sold. You mention 'minimal preparation". I know that if money wasn't a big fat ugly hurdle, I could get full skid plate protection, coilovers, dirt tires and solid wheels. What kind of preparation do you suggest for a beginner? PM if you like so we don't clog-up this thread...or maybe we should leave it open for the other rallyx virgins.
initial prep consists of registering for event, paying fees, showing up. get loose stuff outa car, then thru tech where they look for add'l loose stuff, make sure the batt is held tight, etc. air up your tires good, like 35 psi so you're less likely to roll a bead.

then it's 3-2-1-GO! and you drive around cones like a hooligan. follow the tracks and you'll be fine. avoid applying full power at full steering lock, your axles will thank u for it. beyond that, just relax and try to be smooth on off gas and brakes. turn in early, the worst you'll do is mow over a cone or 3. if u turn in late it's just fighting understeer all day.

obsess about skidplates and suspension and dedicated gravel tires later, after 1) you find if you actually LIKE it 2) find out if you're actually any good at it.

your wag is tougher than you know, you won't break it

Yea, im a beginner as well. I have 18's on my car and no other tyres so I might swing by with my Girlfriend who i said before lives in New Hampshire. Ill probably take it easy because im usually a pavement kind of racer.

Keeping your tires at proper pressure is key, see pic below:

Rollover.jpg

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

:pon:Hey! quit scaring the new guys willya? You're NOT helping here.

If the new guys are pushing that hard at their first event (or even thier first season) there's no helpin em anyway cuz they are truly clueless.

Oops sorry Nigel
default_additional_party.gif

This WILL NOT happen to you. This guy was going about 65-70 around the last turn and debeaded. If your going this fast, you deserve to flip. He was lucky he flipped there, or he would have went into a bunch of people. Keep it in first and second gear for the whole race, you want that instant torque anyways.

NER events don't hit those speeds.

Rochester is nice and soft though.

4030042145_71bfcf8ae4_o.jpg

4030042567_61ec6352f4_o.jpg

Very low risk of damage. Probably the smoothest event of the season.

Yea, i guess ill go. We all should meet up when we get there!

rallyX is a lot different from autoX in many ways. biggest difference tho is that rallyX runs are cumulative thru the whole day. This is very unlike AX where you're just after that one banzai run seeking FTD. The way to do well in rallyX is to SLOW DOWN a bit so you can maintain tidy clean runs all day. it's not unusual for the top guys to all still be in the same second, even after 5 or 6 two-minute runs. so obviously killing cones kills your chances.

any old fool can overcook it and mow down cones, that don't take any special talent. but running quick and clean run after run...now we're talking fun! driving like granny don't cut it either, you gots to cook along pretty good. this balance is what makes rallyX such an enjoyable challenge. it takes good judgement as much as good driving skills.

Wow, I'm getting pretty excited about this! I'll mail in my registration form soon! Thanks for the info guys (spoon feed us more if you have it) and thanks to Dave for calling me out on the plate...a small dose of "Man-Up Medicine" never hurt anyone!

If you go on youtube and type in rochester NH rallyx, INSKI has some videos online that i found. if its like that, meaning no rocks and all, i have nothing to worry about other than my 18's lol. do you guys think they will be alright? I have to clean them up right now.....but if im going to do that ill wait until after that! input would be nice!

Rochester is car friendly compared some of our events. just come along and have a fun being a hooligan with your subie. there will be atleast 2 STi's there getting spanked, if we can do it, so can you.

Alright! Ill be there having a good time with my Girlfriend and other subie lovers!!! Oh.....can people ride in the passenger seat if they got a helmet? Im pretty sure they can cause yall were talking about it earlier but i want to make sure because if so my girlfriend is gonna buy a helmet!

Yep, your girl can ride along with a helmet....anything with a DOT sticker will work I believe

Yep, your girl can ride along with a helmet....anything with a DOT sticker will work I believe
Nope... DOT is not acceptable. Must be SNELL M2000 or SA2000 or newer (technically it's M/SA95 right this instant, but you shouldn't be able to buy anything with a rating that old and they would not be allowed next year anyway, so don't buy something with that old a rating).

And yes, ride-a-longs are fine. She's just have to fill out a weekend membership form (no cost if she's not driving) at registration and sign the waiver.

Tim

Uh oh....i might have a problem.....i got a helmet from like 2-3 years ago with a DOT rating on it. your telling me that wont work??? crap....i might not be able to go then....ill look into it!

EDIT: Oh poop.....mine wont work. that blows.....ill see if i can come up with something before the event! Whats a good place local to get one?? My dad got mine last time and I have no idea where he got it. Reynolds motor sports on 202??

Last edited:
The white and black DOT sticker should have a rating on it....like rallycat said, either snell M2000 or SA2000. Nearly every helmet is DOT certified, but the ratings go beyond that and should be clearly marked.

....I did a little research today

Back