Beep Beep Imma Jeep

The current flavor of the month project motor is the vortec 5.3

You put LS1 junk on it and the performance is only a few HP away from an actual LS1.

Then you find the LQ4, which is an aluminum version of the vortec 5.3

But what do I know about anything..........
default_rolleyes.gif

Dad had a gm 4.8 for a while. Pretty perky and gthe truck got 22 mpg, we have a few half tons with the 5.3 vortech at work. A couple are pushing 200k and had the snot beat out of them and they still run great

Last edited by a moderator:
GM has made wonderful motors. There is a reason Ford had to go and design a brand new motor line. You know when GM's new V6 is pooping on your 4.6 taxi motor v8, something ain't right. Make good performance motors, and that engineering trickles down into other things... like 5.3 trucks
default_smile.png

Everyone wants LS1 + T56 (or cheaper iterations) for their projects these days, and I can't say I blame them.

So complete rebuild? Nice. I bet it's easier than it is on a Subaru!! Hope it goes smooth for ya

So complete rebuild? Nice. I bet it's easier than it is on a Subaru!! Hope it goes smooth for ya
Simple. Cheap.

Hardest part is getting the shortblock out. I'm going to build the motor on a stand before I drop it back in. Biggest cost is basically going to be machine shop labor
default_frown.gif

Could be ghetto-er, I used a chainfall hanging from a pine tree to get the blown motor out of our field bomber

I use ceiling beams in my garage.

But I've used 4x4's tied together too.

Comealong in all cases. Well, two in my garage so I don't have to move the car out from under the engine.

The picture above is an I-Beam with a rolling track on it. Attached to that is the chain pulley. Makes it stupid easy to pull stuff out, I don't know the ratio, but it's effortless. Used it on all our stupid projects.

Back