Beep Beep Imma Jeep

If it overheated at all definately get the head checked for warp. I had mine done by a machine shop in mt vernon. Overall easy job if your not afraid to climb up an sit on the motor. Make sure you label everything and put rockers etc. back in exactly the same place they came from. As long as you do that and follow the torque patterns, and teflon the one bolt that's in the coolant you should be set. Let me know if you need help or tools I did this to mine last spring. I think you need a 12 point socket on certain ones that is deep but also big enough to fit over the head bolt.
I'm not worried at all about digging into it. I've got my factory guides for the job, but I'll definitely keep your notes in mind. I've got all the tools, and I've been PB blastering every bolt I can see since I did the compression test.

My parts labeling system is pretty good, blank cardboard, punch parts through, and write on cardboard with sharpie
default_smile.png

Once I get a local shop to ok my heads I'll go ahead and do the reinstall in an afternoon. I'll probably post in my thread "hey I'm working on my POS jeep, come on over", I don't expect anyone to drive to the sticks outside of auburn to help me, but if you're chomping at the bit to help a random guy out I wont turn you away
default_smile.png
My inbox isn't a stranger.

2011-06-02%25252012.51.38.jpg

2011-06-02%25252012.52.11.jpg

Valve cover is clean. Valve springs look good. Came in to check my FSM about head bolt removal so I don't mess things up (measure twice, cut once).

Rear valve cover gasket seemed a tad leaky, but nothing catastrophic.

I'll probably have NAPA Westbrook check the cylinder heads out before I put it back together.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thought jeeps did away with the disty earlier than your model. huh.
Dizzy was gone on the 2000 and 2001 XJ's.

I bought a 99 for the dizzy, good intake, less emissions BS compared to 00+, and not 0331 casting heads. 1999 is supposed to be the best year... Unless they're poorly maintained POSes like I seem to have got.

I keep updating this thread when I come in to check my service PDF.

I didn't notice it before, but looking through the coolant I found this:

2011-06-02%25252014.20.41.jpg

I'm getting tired of people selling me garbage. It isn't funny anymore.

don't feel bad about yours being a piece. my moms 99 just had a whole new front end put under it, floor pans, rockers, brake lines front to back, plugs wires and dizzy cap.

After talking with my father, we concluded the moisture in the cylinders is my excessive PB blaster.

The head gasket looked okay with little cross contamination. The water jackets on the drivers side are clogged on the heads, but then again the head gasket is solid in those areas. I'm not sure if that is intended or not, not sure what the deal is, I need to do more homework.

The pistons also have a bit of play to them, you can wiggle piston #2 in the bore to about a mm or so. Cross hatching is gone, but then again, the mustang bore was way worse and that thing ran pretty good compared to this crate.

I'm trying to figure out whats the best course of action, just have the head checked and throw it on with new gaskets, do piston rings and bearings while I'm in there, or go LOVING nuts and find 258 rotating assembly pieces because I'm crazy.....

Game plan is to ask around on my other automotive message board playground and formulate a game plan while acquiring monies.

wait....your cheating on us with other forums!!!!!!!!
default_additional_ranting.gif
you sob..... junk rings will cause loss of compression. if it needs a total rebuild id go balla status and build it big....

wait....your cheating on us with other forums!!!!!!!!

default_additional_ranting.gif
you sob.....
Other way around, was on there before I was on here :ancient history: . I <3 some of you fellas on mainely, but I get more relevant answers faster elsewhere
default_frown.gif

junk rings will cause loss of compression. if it needs a total rebuild id go balla status and build it big....
Best part is, Jeep POOP is cheap.

lsAYa.jpg

qB4tT.jpg

YwoOJ.jpg

I should probably just do a standard rebuild..........

If anyones still reading this, I dropped the cylinder head off at Napa tonight after work and before my haircut. They'll call me monday and ask wtf I want them to do with it. Hopefully that and the block are good and I can make a crappy jeep make vroom vroom sounds again.

Shitty. Just like every single EA82 cylinder head out there. But at least they still go without issues

well.....that sucks. whats the plan now? new head or junkyard it in hopes you get a clean one. if I remember its a common occurance for them to crack.

Back