2007 Murdered STi

iPhoneUpload.jpg
dont forget to murder out your easypass!

I do know how you feel!!! Just not in the same aspect with a very expensive, highly modified car. I went through a time a few years ago where everything was going wrong and it made my relationships go bad as well. Just keep strong, and hope for the best!! And remember, cars are replaceable! (Even though it sucks when you gotta!) Good luck, and so far, the hard work has paid off!!

Hey Nate,

Fwiw, ESP just called me.

A nice laundary list, as I feared.

I had a ripped sleeve on my FMIC piping, and a pinhole in the fmic, as well.

As to the "tune" it came in with, well, let's just say it was a disaster-and leave it at that. It's been actually tuned this time, as opposed to the mess that was running the car all winter. The injectors that DSG suggested were also wrong for the build, and are being replaced, as well, to the tune of +$600. Yay.

See Nate, I told you, we're in the same,leaky boat.
default_additional_sillylol.gif

My spankin' "new" motor is leaking oil, so it's time to replace the valve gaskets, at 6500 miles. If that doesn't solve it, then it's time for a teardown. Thanks, Vivid, nice f'ing work, for seven grand.

The "good news"?

There's nothing seriously wrong with the car, at least nothing that yet another sheetpile of money can't (probably temporarily, sigh!) fix.

On that note, the ED kit came in last night, and onb the high side, I've never seen a nicer, better-built body kit, ever. Nicely done, and pre-finished in matte black-which means I test-fit it, and leave it on until paint. Small bonus, all things considered.

Instead of Friday pickup, am leaving it until next Wednesday, so there's plenty of time for things to go wrong, again.

I'm not holding my breath, I know all too well how these things go.

Again, fear not, Nate, if these STi's break us, I'll go halfsies with you on some space under the Million Dollar Bridge. Helluva' view, dontcha' know?

Alright well let me know what you think of the tune. What they have already discovered sounds very promising. Haha million dollar bridge

Mmmhmmm... Under a bridge.
default_wink.png

Just so's we're clear-I asked ESP for an objective view on the tune.

(I'm blunt,and I don't like to mince words, I expect the same from the shop doing my work.)

ESP have had nothing but good to say regarding DSG, and were very courteous in their opinions of my tune.

(In fact, they were overly-cautious in their initial opinions, imo, and I had to ask for more "blunt, reality"-based commentary on wtf was up with my car's horrific tune-really.)

The fact does stand-the tune was, how do you say... "assed", from the moment I got it. It was back at DSG once or twice, and nothing changed.

I'll get specifics on exactly where the the tune actually was f'd, when I pick the car up, but I was told that the values were set like none that had ever been seen, before.

I now (I'm told) have actual tip-in response, and a real, working idle, for red lights and stop signs. Gee-whiz, ain't that grand?
default_additional_sillylol.gif

Also, I found out that the STi initially benchmarked-dyno'd at < 300whp at ESP, and DSG gave me a post-"tune" dyno sheet that read 325whp/335tq after the last "tune". I find it odd that the numbers from similar dynos are SO far off, unless I was running with those problems initially at DSG-and if so, why did the STi dyno so much higher, with boost leaks and whatnot?

Those are answers to questions, I'm sure I'll never find. With the new injectors in, and the tune straightened out, I expect about 350whp/360tq, or close, at 22-23# of boost. Safely and efficiently, a high 11s car, IF it'lll stay whole long enough to actually run a quarter enough to get those numbers. Grrr...

Fwiw, shame on DSG-the STi never should have been delivered to me in the running condition it was in, and shame on me for not getting it straightened out when it happened, especially after the second trip down with zero improvements, after leaving it there more than a week. If someone could have taken 15 minutes, it might have been okay, but I guess it wasn't important that my car ran like crap.

Remember, DSG is 3+ hours away, and a transportation nightmare to drop a car to, from here... I was so disheartened by the whole #@&!!*@#!! build, I just let the tuning fail just be-and that was a Big Mistake. Oh well, live and learn-right Nate?

The keyword here is pro-active, for future reference. Denial is FAR too expensive, I've found.

We should merge our threads as a "cautionary tale" for anyone (not rich) that's thinking of going past stage II in their modfying of their WRX or STi.

A service, if you will, lol!

Anyhow, the saga continues, and that bridge doesn't come with the mortgage I've got-so that's attractive. I don't know where I'll park the STi, however. If you can sort out parking, I hear SoPo needs ca$h badly.
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I SAW IT I SAW IT

& on a side note I can feel some of the pain here regarding modders and distance... My car was done by Sam at Xcelleration in mid-connecticut by the coast. When i lived in Mass it was not so bad to take the 2-3 hour drive...living in Dixfield is an entirely new train wreck.... Every time there is a weird noise or anomilly the fear of my car goiung to CT again tears through my soul like some type of rabid piece of farm equipment! I guess I am lucky to know the Sam will answer his phone, call me back and do whatever it takes to make things right... All the way down to a dozen phone calls between himself and M/A to make sure things were done right.

Got it Nate.

Runs MINT.

325whp/335 tq-Mustang dyno, @ 22# of boost, ftw.

Call me this am and I'll fill you in-quite the story!

Amsterdam coffee was great, btw!
default_smile.png

Love the tune.

Got some water-gas @ Windham mobile, added dry gas = gone = Whew!

Got the Hellas in, along w JDM big fogs, hood raised, carbon headlight covers on.

Atm, I'm pleased.

Nate, this is a HUGE shot in the dark, but you don't happen to still have your stock STI TMIC do you?

Well my car is back on the road and its faster then ever. Im looking foward to tune time on tuesday to finish the tune and turn up the boost.

Back