FWD Coupe

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
I'm still surprised it just failed all of a sudden like that.

When I worked at a shop I had a car come in for tune up or something that required a test drive afterwards. The brakes were scary bad, I didn't feel safe driving the car on rt1... I told the lady and she said it had been like that for a few weeks now... two weeks later the car was on the lot because it needed a new bumper, headlights, grill, radiator, and ... umm.... a brake service.

So that one gave fair warning, which was ignored...

It had always had a little bit of push before actually working but not much. It failed after one of the coldest nights we had also. Brake fluid was also slowly dissappearing.

Finally got the bushings pressed in. Then I changed my oil. This was not my weekend. The gasket decided to fail on the filter. 3 quarts of oil all over the floor. No damage done that I know of. When I removed the gasket it fell off the filter.
default_idk.gif

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Finally got the bushings pressed in. Then I changed my oil. This was not my weekend. The gasket decided to fail on the filter. 3 quarts of oil all over the floor. No damage done that I know of. When I removed the gasket it fell off the filter.
default_idk.gif
Was the old gasket still stuck to the oil pump, and you didn't notice?

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
That's really shitty. What kind of filter was it?

I have really awful luck with stuff, never seen that.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
That's cheaper than the new napa ones even... I need to get some of those. Because I'm so sick of napa axles having issues out of the box.

Due to a leaky caliper I replaced the brakes on the front. I plan on putting all new components in the rear this summer.

I think I needed new rotors.

(null)

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
That's a nasty looking rotor.

Thought you already replaced all the rear brake stuff.

That's a nasty looking rotor.

Thought you already replaced all the rear brake stuff.
I've replace wheel cylinders and such but the drums are in about the same shape, maybe a bit better. A set of new drums and shoes would be really nice.

The new brake parts were from a Centric. You can get them from a few places, basically OEM replacement for a bit less. The rotors even have the jacking holes in them, they make things a lot better. 17 year old rotors like to be "welded" with rust to the hubs.

After a day of driving on them I have probably reduced my braking zone by a good amount. Once I get a couple hundred miles on them I will give them a good test. Hopefully I am satisfied with them, the whole package only cost me $115.

So I finally got around to really working on the wheels I bought a couple months ago. I'm going full black. One is done.

Cqc9X.jpg

Damn upside down images

Last edited by a moderator:
Well they didn't come out 100% perfect but it was my first attempt at painting wheels. They will do, now just to get a couple more of the covers that plug the holes in the center.

RS58Z.jpg

Well this thing is going to be sitting for the next 2 months while I'm away at sea. The last couple tanks have had lucas fuel treatment in them so I am hoping that everything is set when I get back. Once I get back I'm doing fuel filter and the pcv valve. Then I will be taking the bumpers and a few other body panels to sand them down and what not, do some body work to straighten out the mess that the PO made of the passenger side then do a cheap paint job. Also going to attempt to completely straighten the drivers side headlight from the PO rear ending an SUV. Once I get this work done I should have a half decent looking car with my new wheels.

A few weeks ago I replaced the headlight sockets which needed to be done as those at the Dysarts northern meet saw. Now they are a tad brighter so I am happy.

Chris

YARRR SUBY MONSTER!!
Just don't leave the parking brake on. haha.

That's really not that long, I've let cars sit a lot longer without any fuel stabalizer in the tank, and the tank mostly empty. And it was fine.

Not that I'd recommend that, but the engine was blowed up, so I said eff it and went road tripping in the GL...

Back