Nate's OBS: Out Front

but its the postwhore thread, what good is it if I'm not allowed to post clown?

So we picked up an emergency kit along with a tire gauge and a 12V pump. I now have a tow strap and jumper cables, but no battery/kit for jumping without another car. I definitely should get a ratchet set...

but its the postwhore thread, what good is it if I'm not allowed to post clown?
So we picked up an emergency kit along with a tire gauge and a 12V pump. I now have a tow strap and jumper cables, but no battery/kit for jumping without another car. I definitely should get a ratchet set...
Sears runs some decent specials on their craftsman sets. you should get one, has basic tools that you need.

that's what i would give him
default_additional_party.gif

i'll give you a ratchet set if you want and a few other roadside tools just come and get them
PM'd!

I have a question for everybody: After my car has been sitting for a while, it doesn't move (even with a bit of gas). It then makes a loud clunk and proceeds to move. I feel like the parking brake could be stuck on even when its all the way down.

And my shifter feels sloppy all of a sudden, but I'm not sure what that means

That happens pretty commonly. The brake shoes get stock on the drum when the e brake is on. Then when you let it down it sticks, but when you give it some gas they break free.

Thanks for clarifying

It's too bad brakes are so expensive. I wonder if it would be useful to buy a pair of 4pot brakes and swap my 2-pots (that's what they are, right?) to the rear.

Little update: I'm taking the car up a shop owned by the husband of someone my mom works with. I'll have them smell the car after starting and see if they can figure out what it is... hopefully its not an exhaust issue, seeing as how I did have P0420, although I haven't gotten the CEL since I cleared it.

That happens pretty commonly. The brake shoes get stock on the drum when the e brake is on. Then when you let it down it sticks, but when you give it some gas they break free.
So this is still bugging me. I know its not serious, but is there anything I can do about it?

I'm also itching for some mods (already...). I'm going to wait for a single-tip WRX exhaust to pop up for cheap (there's a double tip cat-back that's only $20 that I've been eying, but its not exactly what I want so I'm going to pass for now). How much would it cost to have an exhaust shop rotate the flange? What exactly is a flange?
default_additional_sillylol.gif

I'm also doing some reading on suspension parts. I think I want a 19/20mm WRX RSB, maybe with the mounts for them too. I also want strut bars, at least a rear and maybe a front. Lots of people on RS25 really believe in grounding kits, so I may get one of those too (its only $30). I figure if there's another exhaust for around $20, possibly $50 (?) for the welding work on it, $30 for the grounding kit, that's $100. How much would a used WRX RSB and used or ebay strut bars cost? It would be nice if those would add less than another $100, making for a really good upgrade for cheap (<$200 total would rock).

Last edited by a moderator:
as fa as i know the flange on your car wont bolt up to a wrx muffler. i can't imagine an exhaust shop would charge more than 30-40 for a flange and weld on. or, i have an obs axleback with a lack of muffler, which would bolt right up and sound pretty with a $20 glasspack.

if you want it you can have the mufflerless axleback, whether for building or just stealing the flange

as fa as i know the flange on your car wont bolt up to a wrx muffler. i can't imagine an exhaust shop would charge more than 30-40 for a flange and weld on. or, i have an obs axleback with a lack of muffler, which would bolt right up and sound pretty with a $20 glasspack.
if you want it you can have the mufflerless axleback, whether for building or just stealing the flange
hmmm... I could do this and take up one of various MS members' offers to help me with exhaust building/welding.

I still need to find a time to head up to pick up that ratchet set from Gabe. Too much homework!

come pick it up and we can go to vip, get glasspack, and i can weld it all together and you'l have pretty sound in about an hour from showing up on my doorstep

come pick it up and we can go to vip, get glasspack, and i can weld it all together and you'l have pretty sound in about an hour from showing up on my doorstep
So the glasspack is just a muffler? I saw some pictures and it looked too long to be right on the back
default_additional_sillylol.gif

I'll see how much homework I have next weekend, unless Wednesday would work for you. I'll be in lewiston/auburn on Wednesday so that makes the drive to oxford a little easier.

i-wagon can help you with the exhaust stuff, he'll set you up.

I still say wait on suspension stuff. Save your money for tires.

OK, I know what a flange is now
default_tongue.png
. I just found this pic and a thread on rs25 and I have to say, this make a ton more sense than changing the catback to fit.

Adapter.jpg

If I don't go with i-wagon's axleback plus a glasspack (I'm hesitant about this because I don't want it to sound too ricey, just a nice rumble) I'll go with a WRX catback and build/have built an adapter like this.

thoughts? I guess this confirms the fact that the exhausts need to be lengthened from GD -> GC.

In reply to Dan, I'm just planning ahead on the suspension stuff. I have to learn the car more first.

I've been trying to lose traction in the rain and stuff and so far I've failed (which is a good thing
default_biggrin.png
). I can't wait to practice getting out of slides in a snowy parking lot. I haven't been able to convince my mom to let me do the Team O'Neil's driving school yet.

Glasspacks don't sound ricey, however I'm curious if it's going to be too loud ...
default_tongue.png

-----Added 11/7/2009 at 03:32:28-----

Why don't you like the twin tip wrx axelback? I like the twin tip look better than the single tip
default_biggrin.png

Why don't you like the twin tip wrx axelback? I like the twin tip look better than the single tip
default_tongue.png
I guess because the single tip looks a bit more like an STI, but smaller. The $20 on CL is also a bit rusty on the mounts and on the flange between the axle back and the midpipe.

So are you in favor of doing a glasspack muffler? I can't find any videos of cars with glasspacks except mid-pipe. If a glasspack would be too loud, I could just pick up a standard high-flow muffler instead.

In reply to Dan, I'm just planning ahead on the suspension stuff. I have to learn the car more first.

I've been trying to lose traction in the rain and stuff and so far I've failed (which is a good thing
default_tongue.png
). I can't wait to practice getting out of slides in a snowy parking lot. I haven't been able to convince my mom to let me do the Team O'Neil's driving school yet.
In the spring I'm taking you for a ride with winters on, then we're putting my RE01R summer tires on and doing the same ride.
default_biggrin.png

Back