Nate's OBS: Out Front

Reverse also craps bricks every time I try to get in. I hate to think what the gear looks like now compared to before I bought the car.
um... elaboration? mine makes a loud clicking noise, which i guess is normal. but i'm pretty sure " crapping bricks" is bad

default_smile.png

Well I'm getting it looked at on wednesday, so they'll figure out what it is. Then I'll be at the meet wednesday night until dinner. I'll even let one of you guys drive it if the mechanic doesn't figure out what the problem is. Opportunity of a lifetime!

Those two off the header go up to the motor, that is where the exhaust gas enters the headers.

Mine grinds into reverse sometimes too
default_smile.png

^I know

By the pictures, it seems that the WRX headers would fit N/A cars. I'm told, however, that my OBS uses single-port headers.
default_smile.png
Oh well.

None of those headers will fit your car. Your 2.2 has single port heads, so one pipe comes from each head and they merge right before the cat. So for all intensive purposes it's already a header.

You got pm on exhaust stuff.

I was just using those pictures for comparison's sake. My headers look very similar to the '05 EL headers.

Dad's bringing it back to Norm's to talk about repairs on Tues.

Bad cat, bad battery (which we forgot to bring up in the "negotiations"), bad windshield, and a friend/mechanic found two minor oil leaks under the hood.

Dad's bringing it back to talk about repairs on Tues.

So the windshield and cat are definitely inspection items that legally shouldn't have been wrong with the car when we bought it. I'm hoping that Norm's covers these costs completely.

The battery is so bad that the connectors, and possibly but hopefully not the wires, are also corroded and need to be/should be replaced before winter. The warranty should cover 50% of this, although if its an inspection thing they should cover all of it.

The oil leaks weren't very bad from what the mechanic said. One seal leak and seepage. I have to reread the service printout he gave me for the details on this.

So I guess what it comes down to is this: Are oil leaks an inspection issue? Is the battery/connectors?

Sounds like just corrosion on the battery. Clean it up, add a couple drops of oil, and they'll be fine. Unless your battery doesn't start the car sometimes?

-----Added 11/22/2009 at 05:13:21-----

I also almost guarantee that Norms is gonna say "It's past the 30 days"

You really should have taken it back quite a while ago when you first noticed several of these issues!! As I said before, Norms is a pain to deal with when you want stuff fixed for free!!

The problem was that we didn't have any time to get the car to a mechanic until Veterans day when I was out of school.

The shop also said that the battery wasn't going to be good, even cleaned.

I have a 90 day warranty that covers 50% parts, 50% labor, but my goal is to get the battery and windshield replaced for free, have Mikey help me out with an exhaust if Norm's won't replace the cat, and pester them about the oil leaks.

I don't have time to go there so my dad is going to be bringing it on Tuesday. I hope he can argue well.

if anythign i'd think they'd replace the cat and windshield free. and save your pennies for a good battery like an optima. anything a dealer like that will put in will be chincy because it's costing them money, so cheaper is better to them. and try running a small amount of lucas oil stabilizer ( i know it gets hated on a lot). like 1/3 of what the bottle says

Well I have a battery cleaner that I found in the massive load of old tools that Gabe gave me. I'll see what I can do with that.

What else should I use to clean it? I don't have any oil to add afterwards
default_smile.png

So what will a good battery cost? $100? I'm not looking forward to having to replace the wires that lead to the battery myself, but it would give me an excuse to do a grounding mod too (unless I just end up buying a kit off of RS25 for grounding.

You shouldn't have to buy new leads. And yeah an Optima costs around 120ish give or take a few bucks. I would just clean it up real good, and then take your dipstick out and drop a couple drops of oil off then end of it onto each terminal.

You shouldn't have to buy new leads. And yeah an Optima costs around 120ish give or take a few bucks. I would just clean it up real good, and then take your dipstick out and drop a couple drops of oil off then end of it onto each terminal.
I'll try that... The corrosion is bad enough that I don't think I'll be able to get the leads off of the terminals.

What exactly is wrong with the windshield? Is it just old and pitted?

I'm really curious as to what this oil leak is. Probably valve cover gaskets or something stupid.

What exactly is wrong with the windshield? Is it just old and pitted?I'm really curious as to what this oil leak is. Probably valve cover gaskets or something stupid.
I'm pretty sure its something stupid, but there's two (seepage in an area away from where they found a leak). I can't find the mechanics report but I can ask my dad when he gets home.

The windshield is so scratched up that I get blinded at night by other cars and overhead street lights, plus whenever the sun isn't directly above me. So pretty much 20 hours out of the day the windshield is a solid piece of glare
default_smile.png
. Plus it has pits and one small crack starting.

Back