Nate's OBS: Out Front

I'm pretty sure its something stupid, but there's two (seepage in an area away from where they found a leak). I can't find the mechanics report but I can ask my dad when he gets home.
The windshield is so scratched up that I get blinded at night by other cars and overhead street lights, plus whenever the sun isn't directly above me. So pretty much 20 hours out of the day the windshield is a solid piece of glare
default_smile.png
. Plus it has pits and one small crack starting.
That doesn't sound safe ... I'm looking into a new windshield as well. I got a rock in my windshield wiper and it put a really attractive scratch right through my vision ... and it is just old and pitted. Probably about the same as what's going on with yours.

Imagine a few hundred light scratches right across your vision. They're only slightly visible from the outside, but if you have a scratch between your eye and a light source outside, there's a bunch more scratches with it and its hard to see.

Mine isn't quite that bad. I'm surprised yours even passed inspection.

Although Norm's passes cars they sell that shouldn't pass ... Like my stripped lug stud when I bought it ...

Mine isn't quite that bad. I'm surprised yours even passed inspection.Although Norm's passes cars they sell that shouldn't pass ... Like my stripped lug stud when I bought it ...
Which I figured out after I had the car inspected
default_smile.png
:).

So the oil leaks are, "oil seepage from under LH timing cover" and "leaking RH valve cover gasket."

Which I figured out after I had the car inspected
default_smile.png
:).
So the oil leaks are, "oil seepage from under LH timing cover" and "leaking RH valve cover gasket."
Valve cover gaskets leak, not a big deal. Not a big deal to replace either.

Timing cover on the other hand. That could be bad. Could be cam seals. And getting to much oil on the timing belt is bad. I'd complain and have them check that out.

So I decided not to clean the battery today. I'm going to let Norm's do it tomorrow.

The ground wire is rusted onto the battery and the positive end is so corroded I don't want to go near it, and I don't want to clean it while its still hooked up.

The corrosion is also on the two sides of the battery mount (the thing that goes across the top of the battery, with the two really long screws).

Its called maintenance.... I have a 2 year old car thay ive cleaned the battery on. Youll learn in time that cars dont just run if you just put gas in them. (especially used cars) They take the owner having a little interaction with the car. Either you pop the hood every once in a while, or you pay someone else to do it. But it has to be done. The older the car, typically the more the hood needs to come up.

Good luck getting Norms to fix some stuff for you. I really hope he does. But you have to understand that its what happens when you buy a used car. Its typically an "as-is" sale. The only thing he is required to fix for 30 days from purchase date, is items that dont meet a Maine state inspection. How long had it been since you bought the car? Im not an expert on it, but im going to assume that a little fuzz on the battery terminals will not fail an inspection, but enough fuzz and you are stuck on the side of the road.

Try Heading down to NAPA/Walmart and picking up a battery terminal cleaner, and some terminal cleaner. Disconnect the battery, spray it down with cleaner, scrub the terminals, and the connections, and spray it all clean with water. Lube the tiedown with a little wd-40 to get it moving again, and you are good to go. Im sure the battery has much more life in it, and wont leave you stranded in the middle of the winter on the first really cold start.

Little jobs like this are what make you more confident to try other projects. You got some tools. Try them out.

I can definitely clean the battery my self, but I'm going to wait and see what norm's says/does.

The windshield is a definite safety issue though, and needs to be replaced, or I can try buffing it down (although I think it has a layer of some plastic stuff to prevent it from shattering that I don't want to screw up).

The cat is obviously only an issue until I take someone's offer up on doing a custom exhaust. Three members here have offered to help out so far. Only one specifically said he had extra cats 'n stuff that don't fit any of his cars.

The battery, honestly, can't be too hard to DIY. As long as the battery is still good, I just have to check the wires and the connectors on the car.

The battery is as easy as, pull the connectors off. Wire brush them clean. Done.

You'll figure it all out, I started off knowing about what you do with cars, and a year later I'm replacing clutch cable and stuff on my own.

Apparently, they agreed to do everything for free (I was in school and my dad took it in).

Windshield is coming in tomorrow and they're installing it,

they swapped the cat with a functional one from an '00,

they cleaned the battery and replaced the terminal ends,

they replaced the leaky seal, but found no oil behind the timing belt cover.

I had also asked my dad to have them replace the "window guide pads"(my words), although from what he described to me, somebody got the idea wrong and something else got put on...

The guide pads are the things inside the door, right? I just want to do something to stop my windows from scratching more every time I put them up or down.

It sounds like they replaced a corner of the seal though, which I'm OK with paying for if it happens to cut down wind noise
default_mad.gif

Side note: I reached a new speed on monday, but heard a weird noise... I slowed down, turned off my music, and tried to replicate it (twice) but there was no sound. I'm hoping I was just imagining things, or that Daft Punk Alive 2007 happened to have a weird guitar noise once by accident.

I should also, hopefully, be getting the new (used) 2005 stereo wired up and installed tomorrow or the day after, since I bugged the other guy on NASIOC who did the same mod to the same (again, hopefully) radio.

Side note: I reached a new speed on monday, but heard a weird noise... I slowed down, turned off my music, and tried to replicate it (twice) but there was no sound. I'm hoping I was just imagining things, or that Daft Punk Alive 2007 happened to have a weird guitar noise once by accident.
What was this new speed? Full out in 5th gear?
default_mad.gif

I wouldn't call it full out.

More like "whoops my foot is still down and I'm going to fast, but if I slow down now I'l have wasted the gas to get up here" fast
default_mad.gif

I wouldn't call it full out.More like "whoops my foot is still down and I'm going to fast, but if I slow down now I'l have wasted the gas to get up here" fast
default_mad.gif
aaannnddd how fast is that?

Last time I was on my way back from PA I was cruising along rt84. It was completely empty and for some dangerous reason at the time I wasn't using cruise control. I was just spacing out listening to music ... I look down eventually and I'm going 103. Oops...

That's what I was expecting too
default_biggrin.png

I guess we'll find out for sure when I go to pick up the car tomorrow (during the group drive
default_biggrin.png
).

Yeah they told me they were "taking care" of me once too. Then I looked and they hadn't really done anything besides tell me the problem was all set. And I'm pretty sure selling a used cat is illegal. I'm not saying I haven't put one on one of my cars, but it seems a little odd that a shop would do it. And as far as the oil seal replacement, it sucks that you have no proof that they actually did it!! But at least your not paying for anything............at the moment

Back