Nate's OBS: Out Front

Might be worth taking a look under your gas filler spout cover.

I had some bad gas order with my 99obs and it turned out that the filler neck was rusted through. (common issue I was unaware of)

I pulled off the cover to discover massive amounts of dirt/sand packed aroung the tube.

-On your exhaust quest.

I have a SPT on mine that I like, might be worth checking out. Direct fit no need to monkey around with flange fixes.

Might be worth taking a look under your gas filler spout cover.I had some bad gas order with my 99obs and it turned out that the filler neck was rusted through. (common issue I was unaware of)

I pulled off the cover to discover massive amounts of dirt/sand packed aroung the tube.

-On your exhaust quest.

I have a SPT on mine that I like, might be worth checking out. Direct fit no need to monkey around with flange fixes.
Where's my gas filler spout cover? Not the thing on the side is it?

I have a feeling that the SPT exhaust will be too expensive for me, and I'm going to be going to cheaper route by taking up one of various members' offers to help me with it. One person said he had a ton of extra parts and he can weld it too, another person said he's have his MIG (or TIG?) welding stuff set up soon and could help, and a third said that he had an extra axle-back that would fit my car and that we could pick up a $20 muffler and weld that on.

Update: The 2005 stereo from Greg is plugged in, and it works! I'm taking a CD out there right now to test my aux mod, and then if that works I get to put my interior back together, whoopie
default_biggrin.png
. (<-- notice how that smiley is unamused).

all the impreza's share the shame plug in i put a 04 wrx radio in my 97 obs with no issue direct plug in and bolt in

Its in! I might have put it in the mount thingy with the wrong screw hole, because it sticks out a bit at the bottom, but all in all it looks good, and works wonderfully.

When I plug in an MP3 player, or anything to the end of the aux cable that "completes the circuit," the CD audio cuts out. I thought I was going to need a "silent" CD in order to do it.

On with the pictures/log:

Way to much to do and nowhere to do it. This really made me wish I could take off my steering wheel easily.

The setup: extention cord runs up center consoley thing, then plugs into aux cable. See later pic for future setup.

The ghetto mod itself, with extra-ghetto ground in order to test it out. Normally that ground plugs into the radio mount, which then grounds the entire case, but I didn't need it for anything except the aux cable.

Best. Concert. Ever.

w00t, it fits!

Here's how I have it set up so far. With this, I really have no need to use two cables (the extension cable and then an aux cable), but...

Eventually I want to mount this end of the cord to the back side of the coin holder, thereby making an awesome jack, slightly stealthy, for plugging in MP3 players.

This stereo sounds soooooooo much better than the old one. I do like the analog bass/treble and fade/balance knobs, but I will just have to deal with the digital equivalents of those now. Its totally worth the sound quality.

(edit: link to this post put at bottom of first post, its going to be the start of a table-of-contents sort of thing.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Where's my gas filler spout cover? Not the thing on the side is it?
I have a feeling that the SPT exhaust will be too expensive for me, and I'm going to be going to cheaper route by taking up one of various members' offers to help me with it. One person said he had a ton of extra parts and he can weld it too, another person said he's have his MIG (or TIG?) welding stuff set up soon and could help, and a third said that he had an extra axle-back that would fit my car and that we could pick up a $20 muffler and weld that on.
I got my SPT for $75 used. Then I made a CAI from plastic conduit pipe and a rubber plumbing adapter for $13 from the Depot.

The filler neck cover is in the wheel well. Held in with a couple rusty bolts. If you want to see something scary, take that cover off.

Ah yes, that cover. I took some pictures behind it because I couldn't get my head it, and it was dark+cold. The pics looked ok, but definitely not like a new car.

Shifter question: What do I need other than the short shifter itself? Front shifter bushings? anything else?

And what is a set of '04 WRX brakes worth? Calipers, brackets, Stoptech slotted rotors, and Axxis Ultimate pads (pads and rotors have 6k miles on 'em, and the rotors look pretty rusty). Brake lines not included.

I just want to get rid of my rear drum brakes really. Do my front disk brakes fit on my rear? I don't think WRX front brakes would unbalance it with only my front brakes in the rear (if they even fit).

Last edited by a moderator:
sweetness!

How balanced will it be with my front brakes? I don't want to eff up anything by having super-overpowered brakes in the rear and crappy brakes in the front.

The swap, although fairly straightforward, is a PITA. I wouldn't recommend tackling it until you have more experience, or have some experienced help. Although swapping parts in theory seems easy, as I was once told (and have found to be true), if you expect it to take a day ... give yourself 3 (unless your name is Mikey
default_smile.png
). This also goes hand in hand with Murphy's Law, so make sure you have 3x extra money as well.

I recommend for you and your parent's sake, stick to bolt on mods for the time being and spare yourself from being yelled at when you aren't able to drive your car due to modding problems. There is a reason why I purchased another vehicle after modifying my first.

The swap, although fairly straightforward, is a PITA. I wouldn't recommend tackling it until you have more experience, or have some experienced help. Although swapping parts in theory seems easy, as I was once told (and have found to be true), if you expect it to take a day ... give yourself 3 (unless your name is Mikey
default_smile.png
). This also goes hand in hand with Murphy's Law, so make sure you have 3x extra money as well.
I recommend for you and your parent's sake, stick to bolt on mods for the time being and spare yourself from being yelled at when you aren't able to drive your car due to modding problems. There is a reason why I purchased another vehicle after modifying my first.
This. Real life and Need for Speed / Forza are very different. I can say "oh yeah, wrx motors are cheap I'll just drop one into my RS", but the actual practicality of swapping that out is far different.

We're in Maine, public transit, whats that. You need a car to do anything. Job, interview, school, dates, group meets. You probably need to drive to those places.

Thanks guys.

This morning on the way to school I started having some problems with it. The connection between the aux cable and the MP3 player isn't perfect, and when the cable is disconnected, the CD can be heard. Basically, sometimes I can listen to my CD and MP3 player at the same time.

Easy fix: Burn an "empty" track to CD and set it on repeat, so that when the CD can be "heard," you don't hear anything.

There's no way to stop the CD without also stopping the input form the aux (same circuit). There's radio mode, CD mode, and off.

Taking the CD out won't allow me to go into CD mode at all.

There's no way to stop the CD without also stopping the input form the aux (same circuit). There's radio mode, CD mode, and off.
Taking the CD out won't allow me to go into CD mode at all.
Ohhh, I gotcha. Silent CD would be the easiest option.

You could also break the trace that sends audio from the CD to the amp, and put a switch on it. But that could be a real PITA.

Back