Nate's OBS: Out Front

I don't think that any scoob's like shifting into reverse any gear for the matter, when they are cold
At least 1st in synchronized so you can push in the clutch, then shift to 1st. As the synchro slows down the input shaft, it will drop into gear. Can't do that with reverse. It annoys the hell out of me that reverse isn't synchronized.

i know what you mean. I usually put it in first let the car move slightly, stop completely then throw it intro reverse. If I try to force it in, it does not grind, simply just won't won't engage the gear

^ that is normally, all the gears are tough when it is cold, luckily I have a garage to park in at my house, but not when I am at my gf's

i know what you mean. I usually put it in first let the car move slightly, stop completely then throw it intro reverse. If I try to force it in, it does not grind, simply just won't won't engage the gear
^ that is normally, all the gears are tough when it is cold, luckily I have a garage to park in at my house, but not when I am at my gf's
My legacy is actually pretty good about shifting when it's cold. The '99 OBW however .... will not go into reverse when cold ...

I have not driven a legacy, so that is good to hear; sometime I would love to own a LGT 2010 or newer so I get the 6-speed!

When its cold at my gf's I back in the driveway cause it is like 30ft. that way I can just pull out
default_frown.gif

There's nothing wrong with "she" telling you how to pull the dipstick out to check your oil ... relax
default_frown.gif

OK, enough of that crap ^
default_tongue.png

So I picked up i-wagon's wires from Lobstah today. He tied my heatshield on with piano wire until I can get back next week when he/we'll have more time and can take it off. He also threw in an air intake for free
default_biggrin.png

I'm going to follow this post on grounding, but in order to reach some of the farther spots from the battery, I think I'm going to have to mount the main terminal thingy towards the center of the car (i-wagon, how did you have it wired up?).

Also, where should I pick up a cone air filter? Are NAPA crap filters better than Autozone crap filters?
default_biggrin.png

I also want to get a Semi-truck mud flap to make my own flaps and I'll look at the two above places for those anyway.

i had it on my sentra, so how i had it won't help much. those wires should be long enough to reach most of the way across the engine bay. if worse comes to worse, mount them to eachother in a line toward the battery, and attach the last one to the battery terminal. someone will know what i mean when you go to do it

I already have my accessory belt and alternator cover off (The rust is all the way through it unfortunately) so I can get to the alternator ground. I think today I'm just going to see if I can find the grounding points I want, since I need to get to Portland tomorrow.

It's ok to drive without the alternator cover on, right?

um....if it isn't obviously going to wreck anything, start it and look. i don't think it does anything buy keep you from hitting your hand on it if you leave it running

and what do you mean by rusted through?

It seems that the rust went through it. There is rust on both sides of it at least. I'm just assuming the center of it is also made up of rust now.

not typically. hammer on it with some sand paper to clean it up, then at least get some primer on it if you can't find the time/place to paint it

It's ok to drive without the alternator cover on, right?
You mean the thing that covers the belts?

Mine rusted off ... It doesn't matter not running one. It just sprays the inside of your hood with road crap that gets thrown up on the belts.

So I'll leave it off for a day or two.

I sanded most of the rust and crap off of it and finished rinsing out my nose with water and q-tips (yes srsly). Still a lot of "rust spots" that I can't reach with sandpaper...

Will it be ok to prime over the little rust spots that won't come out?

So I'll leave it off for a day or two.
I sanded most of the rust and crap off of it and finished rinsing out my nose with water and q-tips (yes srsly). Still a lot of "rust spots" that I can't reach with sandpaper...

Will it be ok to prime over the little rust spots that won't come out?
I personally won't paint over rust because it will come back thought. Others opinions may vary.

What I was wondering was whether there was a primer that could seal it well enough to "cut off the oxygen" to prevent the rust from spreading. I don't actually know whether or not rust needs external oxygen to spread though.

Back