OffRoad BA Subaru

those pix are sweet dude!

I think that I need to move to Utah so I can get some of the madness! The outback looks great to man. I be those heated seats are nice, my dad has them in his truck they are so nice, you never want to get outta them once they heat up!

Thanks man! I freaking love Utah, theres so much stuff to explore. Today I went out and explored some old mines, it was a blast heres a few pics, i ll get more up tomorrow.

Well hey mr. strut!

mine237.jpg

oh hello mr. broken endlink! (gabe, got any for sale?
default_tongue.png
)

mine240.jpg

popping wheelies

mine242.jpg

The reason for my troubles

mine229.jpg

herrafrush girlfriend!

mine234.jpg

so how often does that thing get stuck? Was it worth lifting it or should you have just bought a jeep... Seriously I thought about lifting my lego since I have some outback parts.

Can it go places I could go in my expedition? I understand the tires thing but what about mud/snow/sand? It looks like a lot of fun!

Thanks guys!

Well,

I have only gotten stuck in this car once. And that was going up a very steep and rocky incline. I lost power going up and finally had to stop and back down. Other then that, no, I haven't gotten stuck. I have taken that car into 2 feet of pure clay/mud and have not gotten stuck yet. I actually had to pull(well attempt to) a legacy that got stuck with snow tires out there. He was in the same mud depth that I was in, but he layed frame on the mud and could not get out.

In snow, I have no problem what so ever. We had that Dirty Meet out in the desert where there was 2-3ft of snow in places. I led the way to break trail for the other Subarus so they could get through it. When I did get "Stuck", I would just throw it in reverse and try again. Maybe I just haven't tried hard enough yet to get it stuck, but it does a damn good job.

Should I have gotten a jeep...

Well, I defiantly cannot get to some of the more rocky and technical places like a jeep with a lot of articulation, flex, and ground clearance can, but I have taken my car up a lot of Jeep trails, and have done very well. The car is narrow enough to fit up these trails fine. The pics above don't show the ditch very well, but the car has plenty of grip and flex to get through those situations, if you don't mind your bumper getting alittle messed up. So if you really want to get in those situations where you need to get up a steep, rocky, technical incline, then a Subaru isn't what you want.

But!

The Subaru has one big advantage over the jeep, when it comes to dirt trails, the jeep can't keep up at all. Where the jeep does more technical things, the Subaru can do more rally things. I can take corners wicked fast with minimal body roll, where as the jeep would be flipping over. I like this trade off, I can still get up most technical things, but still rally the **** out of my car. I think the expedition would work this way too, good on more technical things, but ****ty on the flat fast roads.

Again sand same thing, no problem.

And like you said, tires make a huge difference. Without those Grabbers, I wouldn't be able to do half things I do now. The lift was so I could fit bigger tires on my car, you might be able fit those tires on stock struts.

I had my car lowered ( not slammed, but lowered), and being able to rip up tarmac was way fun, and times, I wish I was still lowered, but using a Subaru to it's full potential has been awesome. I have way too much fun out in the desert, tearing up dry lake beds, and rallying down wide open roads. Not worrying about speed bumps, snow on the road, and small animals and children is also a plus. And lifted subarus look ****ing badass.

Wow, that's a lot of writing. Hope it helps!

Yeah it looks pretty sick and you kept it pretty clean unlike a lot of people that lift subies. I didn't realize you had been talking it thru stuff that deep. I think my expedition would have gotten stuck in that!

tell me if i'm talking out of my ass....but would there be a way to rig up sway bar disconnects like in a jeep so that a) you have more flex and
default_smile.png
you don't keep busint sway bar mounts and endlinks

He could do what I did with all my older Subarus, and just disconnect the sway bars. Lots more travel, and not too much of a difference in handling.

well right, but i meant in a way so that you can hop out of the car when you get to the trail and d/c, then reconnect when you get back to the road

I was thinking about this. All I would need are some hatch pins, and I could just pull the pins whenever I needed to do some serious offroading. I'm just wondering how much this would affect my rallying. Would it create more body roll for some reason? I do more fast driving on flat roads then I do technical stuff. I'll have to experiment with this before I go back to Maine in April for the summer. Or maybe for the rest of my college life. Man I love love Utah, but it's just not Maine.

This website shows how well disconnecting your sway bar helps: http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257851.

I was thinking about this. All I would need are some hatch pins, and I could just pull the pins whenever I needed to do some serious offroading. I'm just wondering how much this would affect my rallying. Would it create more body roll for some reason? I do more fast driving on flat roads then I do technical stuff. I'll have to experiment with this before I go back to Maine in April for the summer. Or maybe for the rest of my college life. Man I love love Utah, but it's just not Maine.
This website shows how well disconnecting your sway bar helps: http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=257851.
The sway bars disconnected would create more body roll yes. You would gain more articulation at each wheel.

In theory there should be no difference as long as your disco setup has zero slack like the stock setup. I can't say 100% as I've never messed around with anything like that, but on paper it makes sense.

would it be just as easy to un-bolt them? or just take the original bolts out, have someone with a drill press drill holes in the nut side, and have a really secure clip go through the bolt. would cost like, $6 for parts at tractor supply (my toy store of choice). BUT I don't know if a clip would be secure enough for all the time or pass an inspection...

Thanks meister Nailman! So we had a Rally-X out at Miller Motor Sports today, my first one ever. It was a ton of fun. Any scooby owner who hasn't rallyxed yet is missing out. We had a Honda CRX and a Toyota Tacoma out there, so anyone who thinks there car is too slow, YOURWRONG. I did pretty well up until my last run where I got a DNF for going off the track. Other than that, I placed better then a few wrx's and had lots of fun.

Heres some pics, Video will be up in the morning.

HEH

rallyx012.jpg

Underbody protection

rallyx017.jpg

rallyx016.jpg

Bug that rallyed

rallyx018.jpg

rallyx023.jpg

rallyx026.jpg

rallyx028.jpg

rallyx035.jpg

rallyx041.jpg