Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself...StiXXX' 2005 STi

I'm in Windham a lot,I like Pat's Pizza.

After I pull the plug on the HKS exhaust this spring,I don't imagine I'll be too popular there,lol!

I can see the speedo,from 30mph-on,and the tach,just fine.

It's a lot of disco lights,but you get used to it.

I still have to get the EDFC,Valkentine1,and GReddy controller mounted in the dash,it's a wee bit messy.

did you notice that both classes in the events you mentioned require roll cages?

getting a certain car spec'ed out to a certain class is simple...just apply $$$ x249
a cage is only req. if the car runs the course faster then a pre set time.

Ah,the one thing I won't do is add a cage.

Tearing out the back seat isn't in the cards.

Next year I plan to build some sort of weekend warMobile that I can flog the heck out of,this one's go and show.
for >10% of what you've spent making that STI go too fast for its own good, you could have a kickass rallyX Imprza RS or a prepped AX Civic or a track-day Miata you could beat the crap out of guiltlessly.

Here's what stumps me about the whole street-tuning thing -- how/why ppl spend cubic $$$ building a car capable of going SO MUCH faster than it ever can go safely (or sanely) on the street, then don't/won't take the next step and prep the car for racing so "it can be driven to its fullest potential." ???

I'm talking about going beyond bragging about a build sheet and letting the times do the talking instead. THAT's the step that stops so many street tuners in their tracks.

Let's be clear here-- I'm not picking on you personally, just asking the questions in general.

[[[flame suit on, don't hold back, lads!]]

Correct,I wasn't planning on an AWD drift up the mountain!
default_smile.png

As to the why's of street tuning,it's quite simple for me.

I love cars.

I modify my cars because it suits my tastes to change them from OEM to the way I envision them.

I intensely dislike "stock" anything,short of Aston Martin.

What will I do with all this power?

I'll drag the STi after it's dyno'd and tuned,and see what kind of times I get in the eighth-and how I like pounding on the car in this manner.

I like a car that's better than me,in the end,it's more forgiving,that way.

I built it so I can hammer it,not so I can trailer it to events and put mirrors under it.

If I like time attack,then I'll continue to pursue it,if not,I'll drive it merrily on the street.

My favorite car is the 911,at some point in time I plan to put the STi in the garage (or sell it) and get myself a nice used Carrera-the last sports car I'll ever buy.

for >10% of what you've spent making that STI go too fast for its own good, you could have a kickass rallyX Imprza RS or a prepped AX Civic or a track-day Miata you could beat the crap out of guiltlessly.
True,but it wouldn't be an STi,either.

I could go buy an S14 to beat on,but right now I'm busy with this build,and S14's ain't all they're cracked up to be.

A chuckle>>

l_a8999aa949a97744759931447855e77d.jpg

well said, variety is what makes the world a less boring place.

and as for that Miata pic, slagging on Miatas is a highly developed art here on STM...but so is the art of Miata drivers spanking STis in autox. (ask Pedro about that one)

or of beat-up 2.2 Imprezas spanking STis in rallyX (BTDT
default_smile.png
)

if you want to have more fun than you'd ever believe, come on out to Team O'Neil driving school for a day of spanking a golf or jetta or old Impreza or quattro around in the dirt. there's a whole lot of FUN (and useful driver skills) in making "slow cars go wicked fast"

if you want to have more fun than you'd ever believe, come on out to Team O'Neil driving school for a day of spanking a golf or jetta or old Impreza or quattro around in the dirt. there's a whole lot of FUN (and useful driver skills) in making "slow cars go wicked fast"
Or you could just look through rally results and see that Chris Duplessis managed to keep up with plenty of WRXs last year in his 20 (?) year old group 2 GTI.

and as for that Miata pic, slagging on Miatas is a highly developed art here on STM...but so is the art of Miata drivers spanking STis in autox. (ask Pedro about that one)
Pedro didnt ever touch a well driven STI, and he beat my STOCK WRX about 65% of the time. I'm seriously scared of that one turbo miata that races with us when the guy gets the hang of Auto-X!
default_biggrin.png
:D

But yeah i agree with everything else you said, making a slow car go fast is A LOT of fun! For quite some time my next car has always been an Elise, but like you said, a street car that's fast seems almost pointless to me. I drive like an old man all the time. Maybe the next car will be a dedicated racer, seems like that's what I'm after more these days anyway. The only question is...dirt or pavement. >
default_biggrin.png

To STiXXX it's your car, it's your thing, just not something a lot of people have to understand
default_smile.png
I've been around guys that dump huge amounts of money into show cars and I dont get that either, but different strokes different folks
default_biggrin.png

I too once hated cars that were stock, but now I've had the chance to ride in or get behind the wheel of some real purpose engineered sports cars (not just an econobox with a big motor like we've got) and it changed my mind. It makes a huge difference when the manufacturer is out to make a great street car and not worrying about tradeoffs as much.

Where is Team O'Neil driving school?

That sounds like my kind of fun!!

...I don't see a miata touching an STi unless the driver of the STi

was seriously lost in space,in any format.

I don't beat on the STi or the RX8.

I DO love planning how to improve 'em,and executing the plans.

Elise?

Aw,those are awesome!

A Toyota motor finally makes Lotus accessible!

Used,in Florida,they're starting to get affordable,too...

Always look south for used,late-model sports cars,thas'

where my 911 will come from,some day.

The STi is Go with a hint of Show.

Judt good,clean Fun,is all.

Pedro didnt ever touch a well driven STI, and he beat my STOCK WRX about 65% of the time.

I dont know why everyones gotta raisin on someone with a fast sti... He could have bought a porche or vette but would rather have an sti... that's why he modded it to make it perform like those cars.

You mostlikely wont make 450whp with that setup at 20lbs. You are gonna need an FP Red for that or a gt35r.

with closer to 30lbs you can do 450 but its a high goal. I did a lot of research on this when i had my sti and know that the green isn't going to make you happy. it will be a much better turbo for the street. Look at getting 425 max or so with that setup on a dyno like tdc's

My research shows that the list of mods will push +450whp.

I'm at 19# on a stock turbo right now,(OEM's 15#) I expect w the water/meth to be able to run 21#+ with No Problem.

I suppose only the dyno will tell what the results will be,but I've seen similarly tuned,AEM-ecu'd cars pulling +450whp,so that's The Goal.

The block's to be sleeved,& am planning to add Brian Crower and Crawford asstd. motor parts later this year.

As to hating on STi's well,I'd expect it to some degree-Subaru spent millions of dollars developing this for rally format,and it's as close to an actual production rally car as anyone's going to get-so anything else just isn't quite an STi.

The RX-8's Titanium gray,wrapped in carbon fiber,and is absolutely stunning.

When I'm done with the STi,the results will be the same.

Until then,I just keep knockin' items off of the list.

Reel yourself back there Andy. Don't forget I beat James at Storyland both days. and that was before the alignment with a 175k mile stock miata. So chill.

and for the record I smoked that turbo otter as well.

PREPARE FOR INCOMMING EXCUSES!!!!
Are you really touting a victory of a 1st time auto-x'er and a guy with rock hard heat-cycled azenis?

Here's a question...

How do you check your "karma"?

There seems to be no interface,this software's a touch antiquated,izzint' it?

I think it's funny,all the (-)K,in just one day.

It shows I must be doing it Right.

Usually,when I design a BBS,I leave it to the individual user whether or not they want to play this silly little Game,and I never leave the default as "on".

That being said,where was I?

My research shows that the list of mods will push +450whp.

I'm at 19# on a stock turbo right now,(OEM's 15#) I expect w the water/meth to be able to run 21#+ with No Problem.

I suppose only the dyno will tell what the results will be,but I've seen similarly tuned,AEM-ecu'd cars pulling +450whp,so that's The Goal.
Here's a buddy of mine's numbers on a Meth Injected '04 STi he's got a GT30R and an FMIC.

HpTq.jpg

He's just done a protune on it, get a GMBCS and get a protune, no need to get some AEM thing.

Very nice,thanks for posting that!

I don't want a Red or a 30/35R,the spool-up isn't quite to my liking,though the dyno #s are sweet.

I want to retain "streetability" for the moment,so I might not get the numbers I want initially,we'll see.

wow....how much did those JDM "Rabbit" badges and "Hello Kitty" badges run ya? any WHP outta those?
I list everything I add to the car.

(Ever been to a show?)

If you have a comparable vehicle,and would like to race for pinks,I'll pull the stickers off to insure a fair race before I take your car,okay?
default_redface.gif
been to plenty of shows...saw the Rocky Horror Picture Show a few weeks ago in town...was great. Tim Curry's best performance in my opinion. btw...if you wanna race, i'll be @ every NER/SCCA Rallycross this season and i'm happy to oblige.

Back