Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself...StiXXX' 2005 STi

stix, be careful what you wish for...racing for pinx at a rallyx, you'd almost certainly lose that RX-8 to a well driven RS. rallyx rewards light agile cars with good grip and low-end torque. 2.5 subies rule the roost in rallyx, and the only rally RX-8 I've seen got rolled almost immediately by some hotshots from the factory. :
default_redface.gif
For some reason, they haven't been back....

anyway, to answer your earlier question...team oneil school is near franconia notch nh, it's one of the leading rally schools in north america. their skidpad teaching area lets you learn the limits of grip-slide-recovery in controlled conditions. then you get to try out what you've learnt on twisty forest roads where the ditches, trees, and rocks are 100% real.

one-day "rally experience" courses happen several dates thru the summer. you get to practice hurling the school's cars every which way on dirt -- FWD golfs/jettas in the morning, AWD subies/quattros in afternoon. instructors school ya on how to turn the car with brakes and throttle instead of steering wheel. warning: you may have actual hooligan fun doing this. lots of ppl here on STM have been thru team o programs.

teamoneil.com

Very nice,thanks for posting that!

I don't want a Red or a 30/35R,the spool-up isn't quite to my liking,though the dyno #s are sweet.

I want to retain "streetability" for the moment,so I might not get the numbers I want initially,we'll see.
a 30r will spool faster then the green... a red isn't as slow as you think either... I hope you got the 8cm 3inch inlet green otherwise send it back... you wont break 400 with a 2.5 7cm.

you can run 27-28lbs boost with meth on the stock block of that sti all day long. 20lbs isn't enough... trust me.

Ah,the one thing I won't do is add a cage.

Tearing out the back seat isn't in the cards.

Next year I plan to build some sort of weekend warMobile that I can flog the heck out of,this one's go and show.
for >10% of what you've spent making that STI go too fast for its own good, you could have a kickass rallyX Imprza RS or a prepped AX Civic or a track-day Miata you could beat the crap out of guiltlessly.

Here's what stumps me about the whole street-tuning thing -- how/why ppl spend cubic $$$ building a car capable of going SO MUCH faster than it ever can go safely (or sanely) on the street, then don't/won't take the next step and prep the car for racing so "it can be driven to its fullest potential." ???

I'm talking about going beyond bragging about a build sheet and letting the times do the talking instead. THAT's the step that stops so many street tuners in their tracks.

Let's be clear here-- I'm not picking on you personally, just asking the questions in general.

[[[flame suit on, don't hold back, lads!]]
because building cars is about having fun, not pushing them to their potential. if pushing a car to its potential is fun for you, good for you, but for others its just about the recognition/credit, or the looks, or the fun of goosing the throttle once and a while, etc. not to mention not everyone wants to risk death on a high speed course pushing their car to the max.

its just whatever works for you. be open minded and you'll get it.

Reel yourself back there Andy. Don't forget I beat James at Storyland both days. and that was before the alignment with a 175k mile stock miata. So chill.

and for the record I smoked that turbo otter as well.

PREPARE FOR INCOMMING EXCUSES!!!!
Are you really touting a victory of a 1st time auto-x'er and a guy with rock hard heat-cycled azenis?
not sure why you have to make excuses for every time the miata is faster, or what your issue with my car is exactly.

Pizza is awesome, but I just reheated a piece of lasagna that was sweet.

Those cars are sweet too though...

Very nice,thanks for posting that!

I don't want a Red or a 30/35R,the spool-up isn't quite to my liking,though the dyno #s are sweet.

I want to retain "streetability" for the moment,so I might not get the numbers I want initially,we'll see.
a 30r will spool faster then the green... a red isn't as slow as you think either... I hope you got the 8cm 3inch inlet green otherwise send it back... you wont break 400 with a 2.5 7cm.

you can run 27-28lbs boost with meth on the stock block of that sti all day long. 20lbs isn't enough... trust me.
I'd have to argue with the 30r spooling faster than a Green given the fact that I owned and ran both setups not read about them on the internet. The rest of what Pat says is true though.. if you've got the balls to run a 28-30 psi you can maybe make 450whp. I made 365 on 22psi btw on a relatively high reading dyno at F1, 93 octane tune.

It's the 8cm/3" Green,ceramic coating,etc.

One of the best parts about tuning is,if you don't get what you want the first time,you figure out where to improve,then do it.

To me,it's like a puzzle.

As to the car,or me,the driver,there's always room for improvement,that's the way life is.

If I don't like this turbo,I'll simply install another one.

Easy enough.

we ran 26+ lbs boost in the GC rally car...V3 STi closed deck motor with all the goodies. the F1Dyno numbers were like 285 whp/300 tq, running a 34mm intake restrictor required by Rally America specs. That motor pulled like holy hell, but for some reason kept tearing 3rd gear out of the tranny. :
default_biggrin.png
>
default_biggrin.png

our current STi rally car runs 24 lb boost, puts out about 300/310, this on a 2.0 block with restrictor. so far the STi 6-spd box is dealing with the powa just fine

Back