98 GT AWESOMENESS!!

You did aid, good point.

Trading timing belt stuff and some other bits.

Unless you meant you're losing me as a custom because I'm doing my own.

But then you have to remember, it was I who, in my USM dorm room got you into this crazy stuff in the first place
default_biggrin.png

Engine back out! Hour and a half flat from draining coolant to engine sitting in it's tire. And some of that time included figuring out how to get the engine out of the car without having to roll the car out of the garage. Then actually executing it.

I have to say, it was really nice just giving the engine a little tug and having it separate off the trans
default_cool.png

I think that's the only nice part about having the pull the engine back out....

wow excellent time! so you decided to do the HG's out of the car?
Yea, my back doesn't feel like bending over the engine bay for hours and hours, or laying on the nasty floor. My garage floods then freezes in weather like this.

Next time I'd probably do it in car because I'd know what I was doing... Never pulled a head though, so I'm not sure what exactly to do, etc. Don't want to mess it up, and pulling the engine isn't really a big deal.

Good decision. I wouldn't ever do them in the car. There are just things that can be overlooked when you don't have a full view of everything that you're working on. Just make sure everything is well prepped and cleaned, and follow torque sequences and you'll be fine!! Good luck, and keep me updated on how it goes today!!

LOVING glad I'm not doing this in car....

heads back on. Close to being together now!

Heads are worse to get unstuck than the engine/transmission... Just about as stuck and more delicate.

The gaskets weren't terrible. The driver's side (I think..) was a lot worse, but both sides have what I believe is signs of overheating. The metal gaskety sealer part of the gasket was blown out from the water passages. Looks like it overheated and the pressure moved them over? dunno. Don't care. Just hope it works. haha

Last edited by a moderator:
Got all back together. First head gasket took me an embarrassingly long time... Second one took me probably 20 minutes.

It took me zactly an hour and 11 minutes from engine hanging over engine bay to starting it up.

And my new wheels look amazing!! Pics when it's sunny out.

So it's all done and running?? Wow, that was quick for someone who hasn't done it before!! Hope it all holds up for you!! Can't wait to see it

Thanks for the comments guys!

Soo... I failed inspection today. I seem to be good at failing inspection. Anyway, it's short but PITA list.

- e-brakes don't work very well. I tightened the cable pretty tight, but still, put it in gear and it just rolls. WHY? How do I fix that?

Front coil spring broken............. Anyone selling a spring and want to loan me a spring compressor? what should I get for springs?

I say take apart the rear brakes and see what the shoes, and drum part of the rear disc look like. If they are glazed, it might help to just try to sand the surfaces. If they are really bad you may have to replace the shoes and rear discs. And as for the springs, I say find a set of 02-03 WRX springs. They will be a bit stiffer, might drop it a half inch or so if any, and the bolt right in, and will be newer than what is on the car. If there is one broken one, there could very well be another soon. And they are cheap!!!

Back