98 GT AWESOMENESS!!

That TC is not going to come out very well while pulling the motor. Unless you can somehow get some serious angle on that transmission as well. There has got to be some other way to get it apart.
I wish I had a plasma cutter. I'd just cut the bell housing off the engine. Not only would that be ridiculously easy, it would be a hell of a lot of fun.....

I wouldn't be overly opposed to ditching the auto and throwing my 5speed at it either, but I still have to get the engine/tranny lump out.

I could rip the heads and stuff off with the engine still in car, that would free up a lot of fun to dick around.

I said plasma cutter, not torch. There's a really huge big difference. Plasma cutter makes a lot less mess with much less collateral damage. It would probably still eff it all up, but I'd at least have fun doing it...

I asked about the torch. And what would it matter anything good would already be removed. Like the intake etc.

I'd remove anything I wanted to save... Intake, censors, heads, etc.

It's not the end of the world if I can't save the transmission...

Yea, but at this point it's going to be hard to separate the engine without ruining the transmission :/

The only proper way to do this is to pull the engine and transmission together and very carefully separate them with TQ attached to engine on the bench.

I'll pull the heads and everything off in car so it's lighter and easier to maneuver off the transmission, but there's really not a whole lot I can do about it.

And thing is, sure the transmission works really nice. But it has 245k miles on it, so it's not like it's a low mileage gem.

According to the fsm, it says that you can remove and reinstall the converter.

4) Extract the torque converter clutch assembly.NOTE:

I Extract the torque converter clutch horizontally.

Be careful not to scratch the bushing inside the oil

pump shaft.

I Note that oil pump shaft also comes out.
Reinstall:

11) Install the torque converter clutch assembly.(1) Install the oil pump shaft to the torque converter

clutch.

NOTE:

Make sure the clip fits securely in its groove.

(2) Holding the torque converter clutch assembly

by hand, carefully install it to the torque converter

clutch case. Be careful not to damage the

bushing. Also avoid undue contact between the

oil pump shaft bushing and stator shaft portion

of the oil pump cover.
Id go with that, but you still need to find a way to disconnect the converter from the stuck engine.

Of course it's possible to remove and reinstall the torque converter, but it's more difficult than that when trying to remove it with the motor while trans stays in place.

Yea, the fsm is a perfect scenario type deal. In real life they don't like to go back in.

I'll strip everything I can off the engine so it's no so heavy to maneuver.

It should be possible to drill the TQ bolts out from the back. Since it hasn't been together that long the bit should grab and unthread the bolts without ruining the threads.

Or at that point I can try to split the motor halves, or BFH it apart.

If you get the motor out with the TC attached, you could probably just pry the flex plat back enough to get a wrench on the TC bolts.

If you get the motor out with the TC attached, you could probably just pry the flex plat back enough to get a wrench on the TC bolts.
That's a good point. I can probably get a flexplate from Norm's pretty cheap if I bugger mine up.

ok I have actually been threw this before... the torque converter will pop free from the trans with a little force but you need to pull trans and motor together for this but its not hard once its all out of the car... good luck... if you get a hold of me id be happy to come help.

Thanks for the offer.

So you're saying there's no way to pull the TQ with engine out with the transmission still in the car? That makes it really annoying... Not even if I pull the oil pan and pick up tube for extra clearance?

How about getting the TQ back into the transmission? I know you're supposed to replace the seal, but what about seating it?

Chris, have you had a TC out before? The shaft is quite long. I just don't know how you'd get enough angle while putting the motor to get it out.

SO update on this car. I brushed the snow off it, and used the GL to drag it out of the woods. It was parked when it was still dirt, and since has rained, thawed, and frozen a few times. It had sunken a good amount in and froze nice and stuck. It took quite a bit of yanking before it broke free.

My new GL transmission didn't break though, so that means it must be good, it took a lot of abuse.

ANYWAY. It's in my garage properly positioned under my engine hoist .... err...rafter I pull engines with.

So far all I've done to it is open the hood and give the engine a dirty look. Tomorrow I'll get gaskets and stuff, and start working on it.

Project high miles overheated franken motor is in effect!
haha yep. It either has to die before I go to NY with enough time to change out the engine (and for the love of god, don't let it seize...). Or last a while. We'll see
default_biggrin.png

Back