98 GT AWESOMENESS!!

So the other tensioner bracket also had stripped threads. hahaha. But not funny... There is, however, enough room behind the bracket to just use a longer bolt and a nut. So off to the hardware store tomorrow. It only has to be 20ft/lbs or something. So it should be fine. There are SOME threads left, Maybe a longer bolt could reach them... But that's just asking for trouble.

I'd like to go up this weekend at the latest. Because I'm hoping to have everything else done by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engine mechanically disconnected. Exhaust off (pita because it's been welded as one piece header back... Stupid "mechanic" who worked on this thing before). Torque converter bolts weren't nearly as bad as everyone makes them out to be, it took me about 15 minutes to get all 4 of them, no I didn't pull the intake.

What was worse was the lowest engine stud on the driver's side... that took me about 15 minutes. So I guess it's 4 times worse than torque converter bolts... No idea why it was so much harder to do that side than the other side.... but it was. Maybe the tranny cooler lines, heater core lines, and steering linkage had something to do with it...

Tonight after I warm up a little bit I'm going to go back out and get the timing belt on the swap engine! That'll be exciting.

Tomorrow I need to disconnect and label electrical, fuel, and hoses going to the engine. Then pull her out!! WOO! (something tells me it's not going to be as easy as I want it to be). If I'm feeling really ambitious I'll drop the 22 in and see if I can make it run. We'll see... Depends on above parentheses. I don't have a header for it yet (this weekend Jason?). But I can still start it up and see if it'll run... And make awful noise. haha.

That's it. I have some pictures. But laziness compels me not to post them. Anyhoo, there'll be better ones of car sans engine tomorrow. Maybe if someone is around I can get the mandatory pic of my car being powered by One Chris Power.

Oh, and I almost forgot to mention... Watch out for that AC condenser!! I think mine is rabid because I have 8 deep gashes in the knuckle of my right pointer finger. I hope I don't start frothing refrigerant at the mouth!!

(yes, I have a piece of plywood to protect it now, did this while pulling the rad, somehow...)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a pic.

IMG_3522.jpg

Looks good. Glad all those parts worked for ya!! And the crank seal too?? Did you consider doing the valve cover gaskets while the motor was out?

Looks good. Glad all those parts worked for ya!! And the crank seal too?? Did you consider doing the valve cover gaskets while the motor was out?
oh poop. I forgot about the crank seal. haha. I should really do the cam seals too. It isn't leaking though... Yea, I should do the valve cover gaskets, those always leak. And I've had one off. It's a lot easier to do out of the car...

Hmmm, well just hope none of those start leaking anytime soon. Because then you'd have to take it all back apart again, and in the car!!

Yea.... I know. Oh well. haha. I'm gonna find an ej25 for it eventually anyway. So it's not staying in there forever.

I don't have monies. Now, if my Legacy sells, I'd have monies!

I'm gonna do the ej25 with dual port ej22 heads and cams thing. Makes decent power pretty cheap.

Came inside to get some torque specs and a cup of tea. Hands are to cold to use the trackpad on my shop computer... heh.

Got the engine out. It wasn't to bad. Some pounding and it came loose. Almost lost the TQ. It stuck to the flex plate, but saved it just in time. Re-assembly process gonna start in a bit. I have pics, but I'll upload everything at once.

IT RUNS! OMFG I'M COLD AND TIRED AND FILTHY BUT IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!

More pics and vids later...

Back