Nate's OBS: Out Front

Fix what you need to, then just run it till it pukes and stop worrying about it.

All routine maintenance complete + no funny smells + no check engine light = who cares drive it like you stole it.

I know miss-matching tires is bad, but I just bought some wheels that happened to have a single winter tire on them. Is the diameter of the tires all that matters to the diffs? Or will weird traction between tires muck up my drivetrain as well?

Pics once they're all installed
default_tongue.png

Different size tires will eff up the drivetrain and cause weird handling.

For your safety and the safety of you car, use 4 of the same size tire.

+1 get matching tires. If you have to wait, wait. Do it right or don't do it at all. Tires are cheap in the grand scheme of things.

Speaking of cheap, I've got some ****ing amazing re92's that I had on my car a year ago. There done to the perfect combination of grip and slip. They might be inspectable, but dear lord, if you come in contact with any water/oil spills/banana peels, hold on tight!

Sounds good guys. I wanted to put them on to take pics, but that can wait a few days. I have other stuff to do anyway. The dude I'm selling my steelies to is going to help me get a replacement from VIP
default_smile.png

Arg, my first big changes (mods) are being held up by a rusted nut and my inability to unscrew it. PB blaster soaking for 14 hours didn't work. Time to cut the bolt?

Also just need a fourth tire to match my current three 16" all-seasons to get the new wheels on (top-secret!).

Arg, my first big changes (mods) are being held up by a rusted nut and my inability to unscrew it. PB blaster soaking for 14 hours didn't work. Time to cut the bolt?
Also just need a fourth tire to match my current three 16" all-seasons to get the new wheels on (top-secret!).
Just cut the friggin thing then go to home depot and find replacement bits.

Find a tire with MATCHING tread depth. Some say you can cook diffs with different tire depths due to rotational differences in varying diameter, like spin mentioned. Some say it matters some say it doesn't, I'd ratherbe safe than sorry. Not like a truck where you throw on miss-matches and say eff it.

Edit: takes forever to post from my phone....

Last edited by a moderator:
What bolt is this? lug nut? Have you tried a torch yet? Jumping on a breaker bar? Lots of ways to get stuck things un-stuck
default_biggrin.png

What bolt is this? lug nut? Have you tried a torch yet? Jumping on a breaker bar? Lots of ways to get stuck things un-stuck
default_biggrin.png
I guess I'll spill the surprise. Its a mounting bolt from a big round Hella driving light. I think the end of the bolt needs to be its special size to fit the mount right, but I guess I can just cut the stupid thing and try some random bolt+nut set.

with your tires, i've been told before (by people that know scoobs better than most) that speed rating should all be the same too. some sidewalls are squishier which can muck things up. or something. and do you need help with them hellas? post pics so we can give ideas

I just cut the bolt today, but may have screwed up my Dremel doing it... It was smoking a bit when I was done.

Basically I just need to figure out how to bend the mount for the lights to fit my bumper (it was made for the 04-05 style). Then I need to figure out wiring, and then I need to mount the lights
default_biggrin.png
. Right now, the mount has supports that stick back to attach to the lower rad supports on the 04-05s, but they do stiffen up the mount even though I don't have those mounting spots. When stuck on, the light bar is about a centimeter too low to screw into the license plate screws, and that's with me forcing it.

Hopefully I can bend it myself. I stuck it in a vice and yanked on it with vice-grips, but no go.

I'll be working in Yarmouth till 3:30ish this week, 1:30 rest of the summer. Give me a shout out if you want me to take a look, shoot the ****, or bounce around some ideas.

207-fiveONEeight-8344

Sounds good Dan, I'll let you know on Tues, Weds, or maybe Friday, but I'm busy Monday and working all Thursday (working one day a week ftw?).

New cell phone number? That's not the one I have in my phone.

New cell phone number? That's not the one I have in my phone.
Either or. Google voice # for public, PM's get my regular cell. It all goes to the same place, ones just a heck of a lot easier to filter out.

Back