WINTER MODE

I will admit I'm looking forward to having some fun in the snow with my car
default_rolleyes.gif

Lol... I have a tow strap, but its only rated for 2k pounds. When (if!) getting pulled out, will the strap be under more or less pressure than the weight of the car? I'd assume less unless its down a slope.

Lol... I have a tow strap, but its only rated for 2k pounds. When (if!) getting pulled out, will the strap be under more or less pressure than the weight of the car? I'd assume less unless its down a slope.
You don't want to find out the hard way...

all depends on how hard you stuff the car, doh!
default_rolleyes.gif

for most minor offs into a snowbank, 2k rated strap will be no prob. generally the load on a tow strap is limited by the tow vehicle's traction...he's on the same slippy roads that you went off on originally.
default_wink.png

it's also amazing how strong a pull you can get from a few bystanders just yarning on the strap---here's the LDR car getting out of a big stuff at Team O'Neil Rally last winter (kudos to Pete Kuncis for great foto)...and yes, we did get car out (eventually).

Last edited by a moderator:
all depends on how hard you stuff the car, doh!
default_additional_sillylol.gif

for most minor offs into a snowbank, 2k rated strap will be no prob. generally the load on a tow strap is limited by the tow vehicle's traction...he's on the same slippy roads that you went off on originally.
default_wink.png

it's also amazing how strong a pull you can get from a few bystanders just yarning on the strap---here's the LDR car getting out of a big stuff at Team O'Neil Rally last winter (kudos to Pete Kuncis for great foto)...and yes, we did get car out (eventually).
Sweet pic
default_wink.png

I just have a bit of jib sheet for a tow line. Bowline at each end, and it works great!

I used my legacy to pull an 06 OBW up hill out of a snow bank with it.

Being a relatively small and lightweight recovery vehicle (considerably less than most of your subes), RallyJeep's favorite tool is his kinetic strap. I keep two 2" tow straps in the back for towing duty, and then I have a $100 kinetic strap for those really really stuck cars.

I believe it stretches, hits some critical point, and then pulls back on itself.
Ahhh, now that makes sense. The name kinda implies it. I asked while on the phone with a friend of mine complaining about his life... I forum while I'm being complained to. hehe

I believe it stretches, hits some critical point, and then pulls back on itself.

You would be correct sir.

It allows a running start when extracting without too much risk of damage from the sudden snap, and offers a bit of extra force with the bungie effect.

Keep in mind I'm not 100% sure, I forget where I heard that, and I couldn't find any info on it on google.

default_eek.gif

edit: cool, thanks Ty.

You would be correct sir.
It allows a running start when extracting without too much risk of damage from the sudden snap, and offers a bit of extra force with the bungie effect.
I don't use them on much these days. the tow points on some of the rally cars aren't all that sturdy.

and I have seen a D-ring and a tow point go through the back windshield, headrest, and part way though the front windshield of a 4runner when stuff went oops

the tow points on some of the rally cars aren't all that sturdy.
That's because cars are making it through tech that shouldn't...

Folks, those potted plant hangers that you screw into your ceiling...they are not proper tow hooks.

100_1930.jpg

100_1929.jpg

100_1928.jpg

100_1927.jpg

Since I took last years snows off the car 2 weeks ago I've been prepping these dandies for the new snow diggers. Should be ready for mount and balance next week. I love rattle cans!

Back